RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sell me on the 327 Federal Magnum

Boolit Master

As everyone else has warned you about the muzzle blast, I'll be honest, there isn't much to the .327 to endear it to me. I own every example of .327 the Ruger has ever made and it really doesn't come close to a .357 when you compare a 85 grain soft point in the .327 to a 158 grain in a .357. If your looking for a self defense application, I'd take a .38 special with 148 grain wadcutters over a .327 as to recoil, accuracy and muzzle blast. As for hunting applications...... Can't say I've used a 327 on anything other than a couple of horses. I really like .32 calibers but all of my .327 Magnums are fed a steady diet .32 H&R's and that is an excellent small game round.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    Long ago,, when Ruger introduced the Single-Six in .32 H&R mag,, I figured it to be a big bust. It wasn't, and I found out why when I got my first one. Wow was it fun, accurate, easy to reload for, & a fine caliber for smaller to medium game.

I was GLAD I was wrong.

Then along came the .327 Mag, and I could not wait to get a few. I snagged &and still have) a Blackhawk in .327 and a Single-Seven in it as well.

You can load .32 shorts, .32 Longs, .32 H&R mags, and .327 in them. Very versatile. I have used them for groundhogs, ground squirrels, a few coyotes, a crow, and dispatched a few coons as well. As a hunting round,, it is excellent for smaller to medium sized game. Very mild recoil.

If self defense is your desires,, I can't offer any real world experience. I've never carried one with that in mind. I'm of the mindset; "A .45 is just a .9mm for grown-ups!"
    I carry & prefer a larger caliber handgun for protecting my life or the lives of family.

I find the .327 recoil to be insignificant in my Tarus snub. The bullet makes a wound like a .32-20 or a .30 Mauser with a blunt lead bullet. Fie on al the snivel concerning throat erosion, muzzle blast etc. The cartridge and revolver is easier to handle than .38 SP or .357, makes a heck of a wound in flesh and if you use your .327 in a moment of great need, you will likely not hear the gun go off. It is a fine cartridge and if I did not have lots of .32-20 brass, I would be packing my .327 as a field pistol.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry54 View Post
    If you wind up in Tennessee you’re welcome to try out mine. I’d be really tempted by a lever action 327 as well!
    Yeah, probably won't end up that way before I make a decision. But a lever in 327 does sound interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by ohen cepel View Post
    I have a Henry in 327 and their site still shows them in their line, so, rifles were/are out there in it.

I like the 32's a lot, versatile more than the 38/357 as you can go really mild with 32 long up to hot in 327. Do you need one? Likely not.

The new Taurus is a great buy in my mind at that price. Can't loose much there if you don't care for it. Looks like $600 for an LCR if you prefer that one. Not sure where Ruger is on Single 7's or SP101's.

S&W also has their Lipsey 32mag Ultra Carry coming out, but that isn't a 327.
    Actually, the Lipsey 32 Ultra Carry is sort of what prompted me to look into the 327. Like I said before, I've kind of been looking off and on at 32 S&W Longs, notably the 30-1. And when I saw Lipsey's upcoming release with the 32 H&R I said to myself "Why the heck wouldn't they just have it chambered in 327 Federal." Then I started looking at the various options out there for 327 Federal. As for needing one, I mean, technically I'll never NEED another gun in my lifetime. But that doesn't mean there might not be something out there that better suits my particular needs at any given moment. But, that's also why I'm weighing the options.

Out of curiosity, does that Henry feed 32 H&R or 32 Long from the tube? Or does it jam up?

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    I see no need for the .327. I have two Ruger Blackhawks in .30 Carbine. One with 7-1/2" barrel and the other professionally shortened to 5-1/4". The .30 Carbine with full charge factory loads beats the .327 and with handloads you can tone it down to pleasant levels. The Rugers can also use .32-20 ammo and digest heavy Winchester 92 loads if that is the object of your desire. The Ruger .30 Carbine revolvers are the most accurate handguns I own. I sold my Inland M1 carbine because the Rugers were more accurate. Five-shot 3-4" iron-sight groups at 100 yards off sandbag with good ammunition are normal.

If you want watermelon sized muzzle flash suitable for night flash photography and a report so loud it is painful without both muffs and plugs try shooting LC44 military ammo at 1700 fps from a 7-1/2" or 1600 from a 5-1/4". I prefer the .309" Hornady XTP with 7.5 grains of Autocomp or 15 grains of H110 for 1500 fps. More accurate and milder report like an M96 Mauser Broomhandle, Cz52 or a Tokarev.
    Yeah, I'm looking at the defensive side of things. I have a new GP100 for woods duty. As for fireballs in the night, I've got a CZ52 and a few SBRs. So not lacking in that regard.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    I have 4, and owned a fifth, 3 Single7's and a 4 inch Sp101 currently. I had a Blackhawk 8 shooter, but that was much too much iron for such a small caliber. I cannot agree with Outpost on this one. My 30. Carbine Blackhawk was not at all in the same class as my 7 1/2 inch Single Seven. Not even close. My 327 Single 7 7 1/2" is the only revolver that I have managed to shoot a 1" group with in this century (more my fault than the gun's, I fear). I never managed that with the carbine Blackhawk and my eyes were younger back then.

They are noisy. A full on 327 is LOUD. But then, so was the 30 carbine Blackhawk. What I like is that you get bottom end 357 ballistics in a smaller lighter gun. The 4 inch sp101 is a pretty nifty package, though only after you perform a serious action job. Stock SP's come with gritty heavy triggers and the 327's are no exception. I tried for years to get a 3 inch when I was still back in California, but it never happened. I think that would be a great CCW revolver, but I finally decided you can't own 'em all, so I gave up on that particular unicorn.

Bottom line is that I am a fan. I keep toying with the idea of getting an H&R and making a single shot 327 carbine, but I am getting older and find it increasingly hard to justify new toys when I don't play with the ones I have. But a 327 640 S&W??? Hmm, that might follow me home..
    Attachment 326177Attachment 326178Attachment 326179Attachment 326180
    I own an SP101, and yeah, their triggers are pretty heavy. But I've never found that to be too much of a problem, as they tend to have a good stage on them to still get decent groups double action. I'd prefer a 2-3" though, as the 4" is just a bit long for concealed carry. Would make a nice target gun though, I'm sure. As mentioned in a previous post, apparently Henry is making some 327 rifles. So that might be easier if you have the cash to spend.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    I find the .327 recoil to be insignificant in my Tarus snub. The bullet makes a wound like a .32-20 or a .30 Mauser with a blunt lead bullet. Fie on al the snivel concerning throat erosion, muzzle blast etc. The cartridge and revolver is easier to handle than .38 SP or .357, makes a heck of a wound in flesh and if you use your .327 in a moment of great need, you will likely not hear the gun go off. It is a fine cartridge and if I did not have lots of .32-20 brass, I would be packing my .327 as a field pistol.
    Dan, thanks for sharing. This is what I was mostly looking to find out. Probably ought to head down to one of the local ranges and see if they have one for rent. Wouldn't mind laying my hands on one before pulling the trigger. Even something as cheap as $350 I couldn't lose much money on, but I'd like to try before I buy.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Boolit Grand Master
    Well, Outpost75, my friend, I never thought I’d find myself disagreeing with you, but I submit that in a properly sized revolver, the 327 FM is a fine, flexible cartridge.and more, the basis of a very viable system. When added to a rifle such as the Henry mentioned above, it can be even more effective. As I mentioned, I don’t need to feel the Earth move every time I shoot it, and frequently don’t want to, so I can shoot H&R, S&W L and even 32 acp and “shorts” if I want, something that can’t be done with a revolver chambered in 32-20 or 30 carbine.

That’s what I’ve concluded, rightly or wrongly. I’m committed to the degree that I’m planning for my next project to be the conversion of a Ruger #3 Carbine to 327 Fed Mag. I don’t think Bill Ruger would object too much if he were here, do you?

Your Phriend the Phrog
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post
    I didn't claim it was breaking physics. But pretty much everyone seems to agree it has significantly less felt recoil. Been told it is loud as heck tho...
    You can believe the numbers or what people say. I am a numbers guy and old enough not to trust what people say.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I have a 4.2" SP-101 in 327. It was my first "32". I now have a number of other choices to shoot 32 caliber projectiles.

I shot thousands of rounds of ammo through it but very few full power loads. The choice to more or less give up the full power stuff seems to be pretty common for reloaders of the 327. This is easy to understand with the combination of blast, noise, and recoil in guns similar to or smaller than mine.

I am not shooting it much much currently. Reasons are mostly gun specific, not because it is a 327.

Had one when first came out, a smith revolver. After 100 rds or so, traded it to a friend and went back to my J-frame 38 spec for my carry gun. Still not sure why I bought the 327 but was not for me.

Boolit Master
    I've had most every iteration that Ruger sells, but am down to a 3" and a 7.5". I use both for a plinking gun with 120 gr cast bullets- sorta like a fat .22LR. For me the blast is so nasty in the short bbls that I much prefer .38Sp with wadcutters. The real place, in my opinion, is in a Henry lever action. Even with the heavier 120gr bullet, it can be a flat-shooting, fast 32-20 substitute. The downside of the Henry is that they use the .357 feed tube, so loading it and getting the tube back down can be a chore. My Henry gets lots of use while roaming the desert around here.
    Loren

The way I see it that you can not just go by what others says. It is what your use for it or plan for . I got the 327 BH when they first came out because of all the other rounds you can shoot in it. Because at the time 22lr was not easy to get and wanted something to reload then have to count on the factory . That is one of the main reason I got one. Then I had a Handi Rifle made and it shoots all I want out of the BH in the rifle also. It all works for me . I know we each have our own opinion. It is what will work for the one who looking for the use , no matter what it is . Just like use of 357 mag , you can shoot 38spl in it . It works the same for the 327 . Also the 44 mag you can shoot 44spl and 44 Russian. You have more then one gun in one for the different rounds you can shoot. Also the 32 cal cast you can also shoot in the 30 cal bolt and lever and pump rifle for light loads if you like .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    I’m blessed with plenty of choices in pocket revolvers in 32 & 38.

Ruger LCR in 327 gets more time in my pocket than the rest. After dark it’s the S&W Ultimate Carry in 32 H&R bc I find that tritium front sight a good thing. Sometimes it’s an early J-Frame 32 SWL (loaded heavy bc the gun can handle it).

Why not my Models 36, 49, 60? The 32’s are 6 shooters. The 32’s penetrate as deep or deeper than 38’s (it all depends on which boolit and how heavy it’s loaded). In general, 32’s have more velocity and lighter boolits.

If you’re man enough to handle 357, you can handle 327. Like dverna points out, 327 does not have any more recoil than 357 (Ha!). Although….my LCR in 327 loaded with my Accurate 31-117E making 1300 fps out of that short barrel has wicked recoil! No concern of throat erosion. My hand won’t hold up.

Loud. That comes from muzzle pressure. 327 being sanctioned to run as high as 45,000 psi can, and in many loads will, have muzzle pressure higher than 38’s. So, louder. Big deal. I use double hearing protection when I shoot any gun. In the rare occurrence of shooting my heavy loaded 327 LCR in a defensive situation, yes I’ll loose some hearing. Probably would lose a little with a 38 too. But I’m willing to trade that for the 6th shot and a much more energetic terminal performance. Some people aren’t. And I may deteriorate in my tolerances and go back to 38’s. I’m keeping them just in case. But…then again I don’t have to load my 327’s to top end to still get good performance. The 32 H&R UC 432 is a good DA only snubby. It’s driving Accurate 31-088w through 4, 1-gallon water jugs and bumping into the 5th. Lots less blast than the heavy 327 load, which also stops at number 4, but impressively shreds the first jug and expands bigger than the 32 H&R load.

327 HP jacketed bullets, there’s plenty of Hornady XTPs in 85 and 100 grain. I prefer carrying the 100 grains in a six shot speed strip for a reload. I like having the copper jackets rubbing around in my pocket (other pocket, not the one with the gun in it) better than a lead boolit bumping into whatever else is riding there.

Longer than sunbbies, I have 3” and 4” revolvers in 32’s, 38’s and 357’s. The 32’s get shot the most because I just enjoy them. They use less lead and that matters to me. They generally shoot flatter (depends on the loading) and plinking is more fun. There’s not a night and day difference. Just a preference.

People have brand loyalty. Or in this case caliber loyalty. It’s an ingredient in why people prefer one over the other. I recognize that I’m a 32 caliber fan. That’s definitely part of why I carry them. Some people are 38 fans. Some only want calibers starting with a 4. I like my big bores too. But for snubbies, I use my 32’s. In my opinion the LCR in 327 is the best snubby.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Master

My Henry does feed 32 H&R just fine. 32 Long has to seated out to feed reliably, about the same as the 1894 Marlin in 32 mag. It will not feed if it is not held vertical regardless of ammo used. Pretty nice rifle, but heavy.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

I have an sp 101 and a single 7 in .327. I got them because of the "shoot all thec.32's " aspect. Thec101 pierces primers but only withe .327 brass. The single 7 won't chamber all the loads the 101 will (could be the other way around its been a while). I love the 101 for size but would be just as happy if it was in .32 H&R. My .30 carbine Blackhawk shoots rings around both of them and shoots flat. Plinking at 100 yards is easy. I have .32 H&R single sixes and they are great. I see no advantage in a .327 over a .357 for woods bumming, hunting, or defense.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Michel View Post
    My Henry does feed 32 H&R just fine. 32 Long has to seated out to feed reliably, about the same as the 1894 Marlin in 32 mag. It will not feed if it is not held vertical regardless of ammo used. Pretty nice rifle, but heavy.
    Jeff, sounds like the Henry would be real fun with 32 Long for Cowboy Action Shooting. It's not something I'd do, but it does sound fun!

Boolit Master
    I had the Taurus snub for a while and was pretty impressed with it. I am playing with .30 Super Carry currently, but might well go back to it. It is a very flexible cartridge that seems to punch above its weight class with best loads.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post
    This is a cop out answer... I asked for opinions and impressions of first hand accounts to determine if I might want to buy one and play with it. You responded with this comment offering no information of any value at all other than to use hearing protection:

"The fun comes from learning something new. Why should I ruin your fun? Have good ear plugs."

I ask you again for your impression of the cartridge - assuming at this point you actual own a firearm chambered in it and have shot it. And you respond that the fact that I'm asking about a particular cartridge before I buy it should tell me all I need to know, and that I should answer my own questions. But at least confirming that you don't own one, and where not the target audience of the question to begin with.

Thanks.
    When this thread is exhausted, you are going to have opinions that amount to nothing of value in your case. After 50 years in the gun business, I have seen guys fixated on calibers, gun brands, action types. Frame sizes, and there is no logic.

Since you are posting here, the assumption is you are asking relative to cast. Not particularly cast friendly. Is it a more accurate cartridge than any other? No. Does it have a particular killing edge? This is again opinion, but I wouldn’t bet my life on it. Does it have superior range performance. Only if you look at a barrel length FAR greater than you are considering. So should you buy a Hyundai? Is a 1000 cc bike big enough? If it’s important to you, buy it.
    Reading can provide limited education because only shooting provides YOUR answers as you tie everything together for THAT gun. The better the gun, the less you have to know / do & the more flexibility you have to achieve success.

Boolit Buddy
    My Henry runs 32mag fine also. IIRC the barrel is marked 327 and 32mag. Never tried 32L in it, but as mentioned above I don't see why if seated out far enough. I never bothered to try myself as 32mag was real mild in it and I didn't have to do special loads for one rifle.

Boolit Man
    I own a 4" SP101 and a Henry Big Boy brass rifle. Here are my thoughts in no particular order:
    1. Forget finding loaded ammo on the shelf, at least where I live in Central IL. If you buy a gun, just take five more minutes and buy some brass and bullets.
    2. As far as I've been able to find, the only jacketed bullets available are XTPs in 85 and 100gr. if you can find them.
    3. Personally, I think .327 is an even better rifle cartridge than a handgun cartridge. Load it soft for smaller game like raccoons or coyotes, up to full tilt for deer if legal where you live (for shot distances within reason and good placement). I used my Henry to shoot a pistol cartridge silhoutte match once, and it was pure fun! The rifle pointed and balanced well, and no recoil to speak of.
    4. If I did things over I would buy a 3" revolver for CCW and a 6"GP100. The 4" is a little long for CCW, and a little light for repeated shooting full bore loads. If you wanted a general purpose gun to carry in a hip holster, it would do nicely.
    All just my personal opinions, of course.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mobilemail View Post
    I own a 4" SP101 and a Henry Big Boy brass rifle. Here are my thoughts in no particular order:
    1. Forget finding loaded ammo on the shelf, at least where I live in Central IL. If you buy a gun, just take five more minutes and buy some brass and bullets.
    2. As far as I've been able to find, the only jacketed bullets available are XTPs in 85 and 100gr. if you can find them.
    3. Personally, I think .327 is an even better rifle cartridge than a handgun cartridge. Load it soft for smaller game like raccoons or coyotes, up to full tilt for deer if legal where you live (for shot distances within reason and good placement). I used my Henry to shoot a pistol cartridge silhoutte match once, and it was pure fun! The rifle pointed and balanced well, and no recoil to speak of.
    4. If I did things over I would buy a 3" revolver for CCW and a 6"GP100. The 4" is a little long for CCW, and a little light for repeated shooting full bore loads. If you wanted a general purpose gun to carry in a hip holster, it would do nicely.
    All just my personal opinions, of course.
    Good post. With my many .38/.357 weapons, I faced the issue of what would the .327 do that would justify adding it?

In my old age, I have become a minimalist. It did not fit a need.

It is a fine cartridge that you should have a lot fun with it if you decide to go that route.
    Don Verna