MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Smooth as butter bolt function

Boolit Master

Smooth as butter bolt function

When I was a kid I saw someone take a expensive bolt action rifle and when barrel was tipped down bolt slid smoothly into receiver and locked. I was impressed. After years of polishing turds and never attaining total desired result I decided to lower the follower down from bolt. I was shocked how even the turds improved. My zeal got me into trouble a time or two but it always was redeemable. I am not telling you to do this but I found it helpful. If this is attempted the cartridge on follower obviously must be high enough for bolt to push it forward. When is enough cartridge enough is for the gun to tell you. I simply get two responses consistently when others handle my bolt actions, one is this gun is really light and the other is I can’t believe how smooth the bolt works with cartridges. Are thes guns expensive hand built guns, nope, just a average pawn shop find that was cheap!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    Are you lowering the follower by spring change / compression or modifying the follower itself?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Some of it may depend on if it is push feed or controlled feed. I could see a Remington doing it, but not a Mauser. Followers are designed for specific case designs to function in a particular receiver design. Not something to mess with, unless you have access to a replacement.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

A clean Krag in very good shape has been known to close on an empty chamber by tilting the rifle about 30 degrees forward....or so I have heard most of my life.
    Isaiah 45 - I AM the Lord and there is none else

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nines&Twos View Post
    A clean Krag in very good shape has been known to close on an empty chamber by tilting the rifle about 30 degrees forward....or so I have heard most of my life.
    There is nothing smoother than a Krag in good shape. And if the disconnect is engaged it will close (and open) by tilting alone.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

If you use those Score High Benchrest followers I used to make almost any rifle will do that as it keeps the follower from touching the bolt. Or use a Tikka...

Boolit Master
    Yes, lowering the follower after polishing is often required.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    Your so right. Mausers are a work unto them selves. I have all vz24’s except for 2 and my approach to the vz’s is scrub clean and a soft polish and Lucas oil. I have never altered a Mauser rail, never saw the need. I have made different followers if I think needed. I always keep originals so no harm done. Savages shower most improvement.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Bub

All of my rifles will do that if the follower is removed. But then, they become single shots, which negates the coolness of butter smooth.