Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackbox
Wideners Load Data

Thread: A little shop time this weekend aka visitation rights with the lathe and mill.

A little shop time this weekend aka visitation rights with the lathe and mill.

I've been wanting an inexpensive flintlock pistol to shoot. I have two Jukar Colonial Caplock Pistol kits set back for a rainy day, then came across a 3rd set of incomplete parts for a very fair price. It was missing the caplock as a whole, sights and some screws, but the stock and barrel were there and that was all it took to get started. The flintlock was a previous purchase in a random beer flat of blackpowder stuff from the local auction house.

The drum for the caplock ignition system was already buggered up with a broken nipple and a failed attempt at removing it from the barrel. No fire wrench needed, the drum removed fairly easy but to my surprise is was some ridiculous contraption that reminded me more of a bleeder for a brake caliper than a drum for a muzzleloader. Being a Spanish made kit Jukar/CVA it happened to be inconvenient threads too 10mmx1.25, lucky me the local farm store had one in stock.

I chucked the bolt up in the lathe, cut the head off, turned it around and proceeded to cut the brake bleeder style taper on the end of the bolt. Time to check it, I called the local parts store about some Prussian Blue and they acted like I was crazy, ok saved me a trip to town. I'm all about improvising, so some borrowed lipstick from the wife, it wasn't used so she must not like it was my theory. I applied a little to the recently tapered end of the bolt and checked the fit inside the barrel, looked like 100% contact, good to go! Put a mark on the bolt facing the bore for later cutting operations. Removed the makeshift bolt/drum and put back into the lathe to drill the 1/16 flashole. Slowly drilled with lots of lube as not to break the drill bit. Then to the drill press to use a ball mill bit to open up the 90 degree portion so the drum could act like a patent breech and direct the spark to the main charge of blackpowder (see picture). Installed the makeshift bolt/drum in the barrel using a fair amount of anti-seize and cut most of the excess off with the power band saw. Installed the barrel assembly in the milling machine vise and cut the bolt/drum down to a length so it could be filed by hand. Placed the barrel in a padded vise and filed the bolt/drum flush with the flats of the barrel.

Assembled the pistol for test firing. Completed a couple of dry fires to test the flintlock for spark. It sparked well enough. It was awfully windy out, so much so that I was afraid the lead balls would blow away, so the live fire was delayed until a friendly spring day could be found.

Project was fun, but the machine time would likely surpass the value to the pistol. Non the less, it should be fun to shoot and I cannot wait to see if I can hit the broad side of a barn with it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240427_100451.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	326105

Name:	20240428_112652.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	326106

Name:	20240428_112712.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	326107

Name:	20240428_114120.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	326108

Name:	20240428_143857.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	326109
    Boolits Feedback <> Gunbroker Feedback

Just remember son, many times free advise is worth what you pay for it. ~ My Dad

Bluegrass...the speed metal of country music!

Boolit Master

Nice work!
    If things keep going the way they are it may be all we can own one day!

Quote Originally Posted by deltaenterprizes View Post
    Nice work!
    If things keep going the way they are it may be all we can own one day!
    Thanks for the compliment! It was certainly fun recreating an old technology. I hope I never have to rely on it exclusively, my reloading time is horrendous. So much so that when I hunt with my flintlock rifle I carry my S&W 64 as a backup.

Just remember son, many times free advise is worth what you pay for it. ~ My Dad

Boolit Master
    Nice job! FYI, blue or black Sharpie pen works in a pinch when you don't have Prussian Blue.

Boolit Grand Master

Lipstick works good and isnt an oil base that soaks into wood. I used lipstick to mark in the electrical boxes in the shop when putting the plywood walls up. Lamp black works well also in some areas. Another is plain old black grease.
    I would be lost with out the Hi spot I keep blue and red on hand. One trick is store the tubes in zip lock babs or end mill tubes as it will leak at some point.

Nice job on the pistol should be a lot of fun. For loading speed make paper cartridges tear end off and load ( like they did in civil war). If you use 3f powder you may get away with it in the pan also.

Boolit Grand Master
    If it’s cranky to get good ignition, they make 7f (if you can find it!). I use it on the touch hole of my miniature naval cannon.
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

Nice write up, thanks for sharing.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    If it’s cranky to get good ignition, they make 7f (if you can find it!). I use it on the touch hole of my miniature naval cannon.
    Froggie
    I did get to shoot it the other evening. Ignition seemed slow / delayed compared to my rifle. Using the smallest flash hole, I should be able to go a size bigger. If that doesn't help, I will try to find some of that powder.

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Lipstick works good and isnt an oil base that soaks into wood. I used lipstick to mark in the electrical boxes in the shop when putting the plywood walls up. Lamp black works well also in some areas. Another is plain old black grease.
    I would be lost with out the Hi spot I keep blue and red on hand. One trick is store the tubes in zip lock babs or end mill tubes as it will leak at some point.

Nice job on the pistol should be a lot of fun. For loading speed make paper cartridges tear end off and load ( like they did in civil war). If you use 3f powder you may get away with it in the pan also.
    I'll give that Hi Spot a try. I had to chuckle a little when you mentioned keeping it in baggies, having a similar experience with loc-tite leaking, so it's always bagged before putting away.

I like 3f and should have a can or two. Never tried a paper cartridges. I'll look into it.

A big thanks to everyone for the compliments!