Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: .357 Maximum H&R Model 258 Handy Gun II

Boolit Master

.357 Maximum H&R Model 258 Handy Gun II

I got this out of the closet and shot three 3-shot groups with it, just for fun, at 25 yards off the back porch. .38 Special Fiocchi 158 gr. JHP, .357 Magnum PMC 158 gr JSP, and then the one that counts:
    .357 Maximum cast load (loaded 2 July 2002)
    Lyman 358627 215 gr. Gas check sized .358,
    19.5 gr. WW 296, CCI 450 primer.
    Three shot group was 0.7 inch, from wrist rest at 25 yards.
    U-notch and post iron sights (reading glasses helped).

The rifle has a brushed nickel finish. H&R did not change the caliber stamping die, it is .357 Magnum, although it really is chambered for .357 Maximum.
    Last edited by 26Charlie; 04-28-2024 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Incorrect number
    "You will wantonly strike a hornet's nest which extends from mountains to ocean, and legions, now quiet, will swarm out and sting us to death. It is unnecessary; it puts us in the wrong; it is fatal." Robert Toombs, Democrat of Georgia, warning of the results of the imminent attack of the Confederacy upon Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor, 1861

Boolit Master
    Sounds like a good shooting rig.

Sounds like a very versatile rifle.

Boolit Master
    Yes, versatile. It has one of those elastic cartridge holders for 10 rounds on the buttstock. I call it my "fully semiautomatic break-open single-shot assault rifle, with high capacity fabric magazine".
    "You will wantonly strike a hornet's nest which extends from mountains to ocean, and legions, now quiet, will swarm out and sting us to death. It is unnecessary; it puts us in the wrong; it is fatal." Robert Toombs, Democrat of Georgia, warning of the results of the imminent attack of the Confederacy upon Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor, 1861

I use the 200 grain RCBS FP with about 20 grains of H-110/296 or 4227 with small rifle primers. Have both moulds, the plain base and the gas check versions. The plain base mould was discontinued by RCBS, but is now offered by Saeco and is the bullet I prefer for powder coating.
    I have two 357 SM rifles, both are Martini Cadet conversions and are very accurate. The 180 JHP Power Pistol and 180 Hornady spire point bullets also work well.

The 357 Super Mag (Max) makes a handy little carbine style rifle for 200 and under. Well worth putting a scope on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0411.jpg  
    Last edited by Rapier; 04-29-2024 at 07:52 AM.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers