Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
WidenersReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: How to remove Lube from sizer?

Boolit Master

How to remove Lube from sizer?

Aside from lube bullets until it's empty.
    What is a good way to remove the existing lube from my Lyman 450.
    It is Rcbs green colored lube if that matters
    I want to use different lube
    Last edited by hylander; 04-28-2024 at 05:13 PM.
    Failure is not an Option

Boolit Grand Master

I would disassemble it put in a big pot of water and boil it. cover completely in water by 3-6" then let cool the lube will boil out and float to the top then when cool will be a disc of lube you can lift out. Have plenty of water as you will lose some to boiling it.

When done lightly oil it and re lube it where needed as the boiling will remove all lube

Boolit Master
    I bought one with hard lube and removed the screws and turned upside down in a large pan and stuck a solder iron in the cylinder and walked off for a few hours. Remove the rubber parts. The above works also. You could also heat it up with the screws removed and turn the rachet until it bottoms out to remove 90% or so. Just remove the sizing die.

Boolit Master
    Thank you for the suggestion.
    However, I took it apart, turned it upside down and hit it with my heat gun. All out.
    Now to fill it with a fresh batch of Ben's Red I just made.

Note to self:
    Don't touch hot steel.
    I now have a blister on my finger and it is not fun. Good thing it's not my trigger finger, I have cast silhouette match tomorrow.
    Failure is not an Option

Heat gun and gloves. Oooops, should have read all the posts. Great minds think alike.

Quote Originally Posted by hylander View Post
    Thank you for the suggestion.
    However, I took it apart, turned it upside down and hit it with my heat gun. All out.
    Now to fill it with a fresh batch of Ben's Red I just made.

Note to self:
    Don't touch hot steel.
    I now have a blister on my finger and it is not fun. Good thing it's not my trigger finger, I have cast silhouette match tomorrow.
    Just be careful with heat around rubber gaskets, like the one in the bottom of the lube compartment.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    I would disassemble it put in a big pot of water and boil it. cover completely in water by 3-6" then let cool the lube will boil out and float to the top then when cool will be a disc of lube you can lift out. Have plenty of water as you will lose some to boiling it.

When done lightly oil it and re lube it where needed as the boiling will remove all lube
    Totally agree with Country Gent, boiling works perfectly and leaves your 450 good and clean.
    COME AND TAKE IT
    Let’s Go Brandon!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post

Yes sir, that's the way I did two Star's and a Lyman 4500 I have. Worked beautifully.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

The few Times I've ever had to 'drain' my RCBS sizer, I leave it mounted on the bench.
    I pull the sizing die & plunger out, put a trash can under it, and wave a propane torch near it.
    When the lube gets warm and starts to flow, it drains itself.
    While it's still a little too hot to touch, wipe it off & out with paper towels.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Banner Sponsor

I take the linkage, handle and bolts off. Remove the sizing die and the plunger.
    I then put it in the oven on about 200 F for 20 minutes. Prop one end up so it all runs out.
    Wipe it off, let it cool and put it back together...

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by lar45 View Post
    I then put it in the oven on about 200 F for 20 minutes. Prop one end up so it all runs out.
    You must not have a wife. Or a very good one!

Moderator Emeritus

I take the linkage, handle and bolts off. Remove the sizing die and the plunger.
    I don't know, that sounds too easy
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I cleaned out a Lyman 45 several years ago that I bought at an estate sale. I put it in a coffee can of water on the Coleman stove and it didn't have to reach boiling. The lube, which appeared to be the old fashioned Lyman black lube, started rising out of it well before boiling. Since it was suitable for my uses, I recovered the lube and put it in my lubesizer.

Boolit Buddy

Just did this recently for my LAM 2 due to bad o-ring and missing retainer at bottom of plunger shaft - heat gun over an empty cardboard box. Rebuild went smoothly thanks to parts at no charge from RCBS customer service.

Boolit Buddy
    Suspend it upside down from the "arch" of a stepladder then turn one of those kerosene torpedo heaters lose on it. I put an old cardboard box under it to catch melt.

Boolit Master
    I use the above quoted oven melt out method. I also blasted the interior of the empty lubrisizer with brake cleaner as an extra measure of clean out. Then quickly reloaded the lubrisizer with my new lube stick before the iron body of the sizer could develop any rust.

Super Moderator

I did it by accident once by leaving my lube heater plugged in overnight. It doesn't take a huge amount of heat to get the lube to melt and run out. Post #10 is the same method I use now, just put it on an old cookie sheet to contain the lube.