Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trip to Florida to hunt Iguanas and Pigs.

Vendor Sponsor

Trip to Florida to hunt Iguanas and Pigs.

OK I finally booked a hunt with the Python Cowboy in May. Won't get to go with him directly but two of his guides and a new dog who is supposed to be very enthusiastic. Mike is booked up thru September.

I am taking My Avenger .25 and the Auto-Berg. The Air Gun is ready to go, but I've got to do some work on the Shotgun Loads for the Feral Pigs. Just got to get teh gun sighted in and deal with barrel leading by introducing Mica into the loaded rounds. Hopefully that will coat the ID of the barrel enough so the Brenneke Lookin' Slugs won't lead it up and kill accuracy. Also taking some Factory Loaded Brenneke's.

Anyway more to come on this but this Forum really needed some new subjects, so I am doing my duty.

Randy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2499.jpg   IMG_2318.jpg   IMG_2280.jpg   IMG_2281.jpg   IMG_2259.jpg  

"It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    I want to see the results of an Iguana when you hit it with that slug!

Moderator Emeritus

Randy -- I a ever so happy for YOU!!! I first chanced upon a television broadcast of Iguana hunters; then one with female Iguana hunters; and then shows of "real men" (I particularly admire the shirtless gentleman who wears bib overhauls ) after Everglade snakes. Some are really hi-tech with drones equipped with sensors and cameras, too! Then, too, are the alligator hunters.
    To what I've seen, the Florida Everglades are like a gourmet buffet dinner of critters there for the taking.
    I sincerely wish you the best, and do hope you share, share, and share pictures and stories vis your adventure!!!
    geo

Boolit Grand Master
    Sounds like fun Randy. Looking forward to your hunt report.
    Don Verna

My wife and I were in South Florida last year this same week and stopped at a McDonald’s to get a coffee and parked under a row of large trees. While sitting there I was looking up in the trees and after spotting the first Iguana I started to look a lot closer and seen DOZENS of them !
    The first thing I thought of is having a good air rifle and a guy could have the shoot of a lifetime.
    Jedman

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    Curious why you picked slug loads instead of buckshot? Do you plan to have buckshot in the tube after the slug? Chances are good you could get a quick second shot off. Plus the hogs I saw rooting on the right of way every morning weren’t all that big down there.

Boolit Master
    Good luck with your hunt, i live 50 miles or so away from where you are hunting. It should prove interesting, I am waiting for the complete story, keep us posted. Get exact locations of your hunting grounds and I can see if I've ever hunted there or not. I loved when we hunted the Kissimmee river from boats, we took a bunch of kids and it was always more fun to watch them kill something than to do it yourself. The FWC issued permits to keep track of these snakes and other exotics, and did nothing to keep them under control, then 15 years ago when it became obvious they were out of control would not allow aggressive hunting because they believed that hunters would not be able to resist shooting the deer out of season and at night if they came across them while removing snakes, so they had even longer to get out of control. This is all on them, the FWC for allowing this to get to this point, they should all be replaced for incompetence.

Boolit Master

Pig hunt, yeah maybe, but iguana absolutely. Going after them with air rifles would be the 'safari hunt' of a lifetime for this ol country boy. But at 82 I doubt it will ever happen. james

Boolit Bub
    Sounds like a great time, let us know how you do on those tree dragons!

Boolit Master

I was always negatively impressed with the people going into the swamps after the Pythons without a shotgun. I could not understand live capture of those monsters. I would not go unarmed, nope, not going. Iguanas hang out in the trees and eat and breed and will let you walk up close so they can bite you. We saw one pig running by our house once and a bear before the subdivision crowded them north.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by frkelly74 View Post
    I was always negatively impressed with the people going into the swamps after the Pythons without a shotgun. I could not understand live capture of those monsters. I would not go unarmed, nope, not going. Iguanas hang out in the trees and eat and breed and will let you walk up close so they can bite you. We saw one pig running by our house once and a bear before the subdivision crowded them north.
    From what I've heard -- this may NOT be accurate, but I do think it is -- the "Python hunters" do not get them just for kicks, giggles, and/or to help the environment. I understand that in some jurisdictions there are "bounties" on them, even with different payments based upon sex and size of the snake; and, even $$$ for eggs. More important vis their NOT using scatterguns, in most shows I've viewed the snakes are VERY carefully skinned. Python skins are a -- when pristine -- a quite high-paying commodity with their uses including hand-bags, boots, and similar. A live-captured critter for the bounty, followed by humane dispatch and skinning for the cash seems the way to go.
    While pythons caught often appear to be quite grumpy and do their best to execute a bite, they're not venomous or poisonous if bitten; having lots of shot-holes in the skin would be throwing LOTS of dollars away.
    geo

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ebb View Post
    Good luck with your hunt, i live 50 miles or so away from where you are hunting. It should prove interesting, I am waiting for the complete story, keep us posted. Get exact locations of your hunting grounds and I can see if I've ever hunted there or not. I loved when we hunted the Kissimmee river from boats, we took a bunch of kids and it was always more fun to watch them kill something than to do it yourself. The FWC issued permits to keep track of these snakes and other exotics, and did nothing to keep them under control, then 15 years ago when it became obvious they were out of control would not allow aggressive hunting because they believed that hunters would not be able to resist shooting the deer out of season and at night if they came across them while removing snakes, so they had even longer to get out of control. This is all on them, the FWC for allowing this to get to this point, they should all be replaced for incompetence.

I'm further south, but you are absolutely correct. There should be no season or hunting restrictions on pythons or hogs, and I am not wrasslin a snake. It gets a dose of birdshot. It is amazing how out of control these two animals are yet is so difficult or expensive to hunt them. Seems they don't really want the problem to go away as long as somebody can make money on it. Sorry to derail your thread Randy. Have a great hunt and post lots of pics.

Boolit Master

Well, you don't need a rifled slug to kill a ferial pig but you will surely anchor em down so the dogs don't have to go into the thick to find them. Iguanas here in the Florida Keys are everywhere but there is a firearm restriction unless you have a large plot of land. I am in Tavernier Key. It is an island in the Florida archipelago extending to the Dry Tortugas. If they poop in your pool you have a salmonella problem. They climb the mangroves and eat the eggs of the native nesting birds. My Benjamin Theo Rapide 25 cal PCP rifle drives a 31 gr lead pellet at 900fps. So far this year I have banged 14 of the varmints. In 2017 I took out 56 iguanas. They still keep coming. My wife likes her flowers and garden with no iguanas diving into the salad bar. Have fun bangin iguanas. Its like squirrel hunting. Some folks cook them and eat em.Attachment 326129
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rabbit.jpg  
    Last edited by Rockindaddy; 04-30-2024 at 04:25 PM. Reason: photo

Awesome, congratulatiosn. I'm interested in why you chose a shotgun with slugs? I would choose a cool levergun, but I never would have considered a shotgun with slugs.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Master

I don't know why someone would not use a 12 gauge on pigs. At close range, it will hit harder with a good slug than any lever action rifle I know of. james

Boolit Grand Master

Just watched a you tube video on tannerite pellets taking any along with you?
    I see no reason why a good shotgun with slugs or buck shot wouldnt be very effective on pigs.
    Im betting you have a real ball Hoping you do too.
    Going for deer or other big game is a one or two shot trip. The hogs iguana and varmints is a shooters holiday, as much shooting in a day as you want.
    Have a great trip, enjoy all you can.

Mini dinosaur hunt! Sounds like fun!

Boolit Master
    Hey Randy. Please post a picture of you grabbing a big python by the neck.

Boolit Master

I hope it doesn't grab you back!!!
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    I don't know why someone would not use a 12 gauge on pigs. At close range, it will hit harder with a good slug than any lever action rifle I know of. james
    I've hit feral hogs with a 45-70. The Marlin 1895 is very accurate. Have never had a hog get up and go anywhere. Guess if you don't own a rifle, a shotgun with slugs will work. We hunt around Okeechobee, FL. Shotguns with No. 4 shot work good on iguanas in the trees.