WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: Process for Herrett Case Forming??

Boolit Mold

Process for Herrett Case Forming??

For all the 30/357/7mm TCU gurus....What would be the sequence of events when processing any of the Herrett or TCU cases for a Contender? i.e. trim, anneal, size, fire form or?
    Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Cryhavoc; 04-28-2024 at 03:38 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Never done the 30 Herrett...357 and 7TCU I have...done many...
    If ya get stuck, drop me a PM
    BTW the TCU is easiest!! Using Hornady, Tapered expander...run thru sizer and Fireform....Done!!

Boolit Master
    Had a 357 Herret and a 7mm TCU,TCU was easy I just fired 223 surplus ammo and case were formed. The trick with the Herret was one the case was trimmed you needed to full length the case till it took a bit of a force to close the action.
    That set the shoulder then once fired neck sizing was all that was needed.

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    I just run 223 brass into the full length die for TCU and enjoy!

Herrett got sized. Cut close to length with a little plastic tubing cutter. Then finish to exact length on a Lyman trimmer. Then chamfer inside and out. Load and enjoy! Lots of brass shavings with it.

Boolit Grand Master

I was a little different on my 357 herret cases. I cut close to length sized up to .370 then back down to 357 this made sure I had a full shoulder. then final trimmed and fire form load. I did anneal after fire form load.

Boolit Master
    I pretty much followed about all the above methods for my 357 Herrett...But...Again, using Hornady Tapered Expander, a trip thru size die...then cut slightly long.. and Fireformed with Corn Meal, and wax plug... Use it to feed the Fish in the Pond!!!!!
    Since it is a Rimmed Cartridge...I see No Need to go thru the gyrations often associated with Rimless!!!

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for all the advice & tips so far! Much appreciated! Only one said they anneal "after" fire forming.....interesting, and I could be way off base, but I would think one would anneal before sizing?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryhavoc View Post
    Thanks for all the advice & tips so far! Much appreciated! Only one said they anneal "after" fire forming.....interesting, and I could be way off base, but I would think one would anneal before sizing?
    I do Not recall annealing either cartridge...If I did...it may have been the 7TCU... but.. I always started with New Brass!!!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    I pretty much followed about all the above methods for my 357 Herrett...But...Again, using Hornady Tapered Expander, a trip thru size die...then cut slightly long.. and Fireformed with Corn Meal, and wax plug... Use it to feed the Fish in the Pond!!!!!
    Since it is a Rimmed Cartridge...I see No Need to go thru the gyrations often associated with Rimless!!!
    I got a click on a wild boar because of tight 30 Herrett brass one time. I don’t remember if I closed the action harder or put in a different cartridge. Fortunately I was in a box blind and didn’t spook him. Dropped him with one shot in the neck when it finally fired. Used the 135 grain Sierra single shot pistol bullets. Long discontinued now. I bet that was close to 20 years ago. Time sure flies!

Boolit Grand Master

When I shot the 30 Herrett in Sillywett the easiest way to form cases was to run a 375 Super Mag brass through the seating die then the resizing die, THEN anneal the neck. Now, the 375 SM brass is unobtanium.

For the 6 and 7 TCU I just use a Hornady tapered expander die and size them up, the run through the appropriate sizing die.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    When I shot the 30 Herrett in Sillywett the easiest way to form cases was to run a 375 Super Mag brass through the seating die then the resizing die, THEN anneal the neck. Now, the 375 SM brass is unobtanium..
    there was some in the "Swapping and Selling" section this morning. BUT using them now to form 30H cases would be a waste, just sayin'.

edit to add, I never bothered to anneal my 30 H formed from Federal 30-30 brass.

Boolit Master
    The 7mm TCU is stone simple: just run 223 brass through the resizing die, load & fireform. I've never fiddled around with the Herrett cartridges. The 357 seems interesting, but as far as the 30 Herrett goes, it seems to me that the 7.62x39 (308 or 311 caliber) will give nearly identical performance without the hassle of case forming.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 405grain View Post
    The 7mm TCU is stone simple: just run 223 brass through the resizing die, load & fireform. I've never fiddled around with the Herrett cartridges. The 357 seems interesting, but as far as the 30 Herrett goes, it seems to me that the 7.62x39 (308 or 311 caliber) will give nearly identical performance without the hassle of case forming.
    Performance may be similar but the pressure and breech thrust is too much for a Contender. The 7.62x39 would have to be loaded to a lower pressure because the body is larger diameter than 30-30. So pressure times area is too much with that chambering and factory cartridges which could be fired vs handloads only in the Herrett.

I have a 30 Herrett and 7 TCU , the TCU is pretty straight forward , the Herrett like others I cut it close and finish with the trimmer . On the Herrett as mentioned watch getting your headspace (brass) too tight , if the barrel / frame does not lock up properly it will misfire . The Herrett and my 7-30 Waters I pay extra attention to when sizing my brass .

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

I have several of each, plus the 6TCU and the 6x47 and the JDJ cartridges. The trick is to set the headspace on the shoulder, not the rim with a case with a rim. Use new unfired brass to form, and anneal the brass before forming or trimming. New brass, anneal, trim to be just a bit long, die form, trim to length, chamfer in and out. Should be sized to a crush fit when the barrel is closed. The trick is to close the action with both hands in a twisting motion, do not snap it closed, just like breaking a dead tree limb, twisting your hands towards each other firmly
    On the 7 TCU the setup of the bullet seating depth is critical for the best accuracy. I use a 145 Speer to set the die then load the 130 Speer or 145 RCBS.
    This is a series, the two on the right are the Herretts, next the 357 Super Mag, then the two rimless Herretts 30 & 357, last for comparison is the 300 Whisper.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DABDAF8A-B911-4A50-A580-011798A5B008.jpg  
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    @Rapier I have never even heard of the "Twist Close" on Contender...Going to try that..Next Time.. My cartridges seem to be fine in the HeadSpace department, requiring just a Firm close...Not Snapped! But, My 7TCU, has infrequently, required a "re-do" closure!
    Never hunted with the TCU, so, was Not a Big Thing.