RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: .50-70 Question

.50-70 Question

I have become fond of this cartridge after shooting an original rolling block rifle. Now I'm thinking about searching for a Sharps carbine in the same caliber. An original is probably going to exceed my budget, and the better known replicas from Montana could do the same.

Question: are any of the less expensive imported replicas worth the money? I would be very reluctant to buy one without reviews and good endorsements from those who have owned and shot them - more than one range trip.

Look forward to your comments.

I have a Pedersoli Sharps "Boss Gun" in 50/70 and have been shooting it a couple of times a week for the last 5 years. Accuracy with a 450gn Lyman boolit is excellent and I have no issues with feed nor function.

Last edited by Bad Ass Wallace; 04-28-2024 at 11:50 PM.
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

I've owned 2 Pedersoli Sharps both were pretty good accurate rifles with no failures due to workmanship or materials. I wish I still had both of them actually, one was an 1859 Paper cartridge Infantry rifle and the other an 1874 45-70 infantry rifle.

Sadly the import guns price wise are rapidly approaching the cost of a C. Sharps or Shiloh and if I'm spending north of 2k I'd spend a little more and buy the American gun. The pedersoli carbines do run a little cheaper.
    Last edited by R-71; 04-28-2024 at 09:46 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    There were some Garrett Sharps carbine replicas offered years ago, a small number were chambered in .50-70. Build quality was good. Pedersoli actually bought the tooling to make there replicas from the outfit that made the Garrett stuff.
    If you happen to pop for an original Sharps percussion carbine that was armory-converted to cartridge, make sure you get one with 3-groove Springfield rifling. There were some early conversions that were converted to .50-70 rimfire, and also some that were converted to .50-70 CF, but WITHOUT relining the barrel. Those have original 6-groove percussion rifling, which is WOEFULLY OVERSIZE to be remotely accurate with a .515" bullet! So make certain the one you consider purchasing has 3-groove rifling, and has a centerfire breechblock.
    John Wells in PA

Peabody's and Peabody-Martini's wanted
    Also shoot a 10-PDR Parrott Rifle in competition

Quote Originally Posted by John in PA View Post
    There were some Garrett Sharps carbine replicas offered years ago, a small number were chambered in .50-70. Build quality was good. Pedersoli actually bought the tooling to make there replicas from the outfit that made the Garrett stuff.
    If you happen to pop for an original Sharps percussion carbine that was armory-converted to cartridge, make sure you get one with 3-groove Springfield rifling. There were some early conversions that were converted to .50-70 rimfire, and also some that were converted to .50-70 CF, but WITHOUT relining the barrel. Those have original 6-groove percussion rifling, which is WOEFULLY OVERSIZE to be remotely accurate with a .515" bullet! So make certain the one you consider purchasing has 3-groove rifling, and has a centerfire breechblock.

Thanks for that alert, Mr. Wells.

C Sharps or Shiloh, both great rifles. It's in the reloading room where accuracy is found. My one Pedrosoli, a roller in 45-70 shoots just as good as the 1st two.