Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5 gal pail of ww

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    I often see it suggested that melting WW at temperatures lower than the zinc melting point would avoid the risk of contamination. Just as often I wonder how one controls the temperature on the bottom of a big pot with 50-100 pounds of WW piled up in it.

I suppose that you could melt a very shallow pile such that you could see the WW on the bottom melting, but it seems like that would be a very long and expensive day heating, cooling, adding, repeat…

What am I missing?
    I simply keep the heat turned down so it is not overheating the bottom, Plus I start stirring as soon as I get enough liquid to do so. I have never melted a zinc yet, they all float to the top with the clips. That is not to say I do not check them, I do. But we all are going to miss one or two. And I do not put the whole load in at once. I will add 20 lbs. or so each time after I scoop out the trash and flux. I will end up with a hundred lbs. in the pot eventually but not all at once.
    Last edited by Rickf1985; 05-11-2024 at 04:49 PM.