Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Awesome Safe Bug Killer: Diatomaceous Earth

Boolit Master
    I tried some of the stuff a few years ago. Sprinkled it around the foundation of the house in an attempt to stop the ants from coming in. Didn't work.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    Cimexa (sp?) is similar, but more finely ground I think. I’ve dusted that stuff into walls in a rental as a barrier, works well for a long time. Also works when wet.

These work by abrading the waxy coating that almost all insects have, causing them to dehydrate.

Not toxic, but best not to breath it.
    I was going to post about this stuff too (CimeXa). It works a treat. It is ground/powered silica gel, a desiccant. It just flat out dries the bugs out. I've used it for flea control, along with general 'bugs stay out of my house' control.

As a drying agent it will dry out any skin it gets on to. And as posted above, don't breath it.

It is so fine can apply it via 'puffing', but need to be careful as it puts a lot into the air. Using a fine brush such as women use to apply blush works well.

45_Colt

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    The only gripe I had about using it, it also killed all the worms in my garden. That's where I get my night crawlers!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    The only gripe I had about using it, it also killed all the worms in my garden. That's where I get my night crawlers!
    Something else killed your worms, diatomaceous earth won’t harm them.

I've had the stuff for the cats in both internal and external applications.
    Now I'm thinking about using it on the blasted Colorado potato beetles.

But yeah, I was wondering about the earth worms also so here I am ready and all ears for the great diatomaceous earth worms debate.

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    I did a few searches on these GLOUE thingys, best I can tell fruit flies aren't especially attracted to the particular light they give off that attracts other flying insects.

Fruit flies are one of the smarter flies, they get wise to an apple cider vinegar trap and will totally avoid it. They see a couple of their comrades dead and they quickly associate the smell of vinegar with death.
    That is unfortunate on the fruitflies. I've been luck to never have them in Arkansas. The Gloue zappers have been awesome for my gnats and mosquitos though. I keep one in the kitchen and another near the bathroom. Clean the grids regularly so I know I'm catching bugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    I've had the stuff for the cats in both internal and external applications.
    Now I'm thinking about using it on the blasted Colorado potato beetles.

But yeah, I was wondering about the earth worms also so here I am ready and all ears for the great diatomaceous earth worms debate.
    Looks like the opinions are mixed. Some say it can harm them, others not. I don't know.
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Boolit Master
    Only sure way I’ve found to eradicate fruit flies inside the house is to take out everything they might be eating or laying eggs on, then set off those purple aerosol flea bombs (Raid or Black Flag; one per room) and leave the house for a couple hours. The flies will be dead once you return.

When I was a youngster, my dad used to set out Vaporettes inside the house. They were very effective but apparently too hazardous and were taken off the market.

Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    Only sure way I’ve found to eradicate fruit flies inside the house is to take out everything they might be eating or laying eggs on, then set off those purple aerosol flea bombs (Raid or Black Flag; one per room) and leave the house for a couple hours. The flies will be dead once you return.

When I was a youngster, my dad used to set out Vaporettes inside the house. They were very effective but apparently too hazardous and were taken off the market.
    Have you tried bait surrounded by diatomaceous earth? If they land on the DE they should die like the fly I had buzzing around on its' back the other day here.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by steve urquell View Post
    Have you tried bait surrounded by diatomaceous earth? If they land on the DE they should die like the fly I had buzzing around on its' back the other day here.
    No, I have not tried that approach, but sounds easy enough - I have both DE and bait (just no flies right now).

Boolit Master
    A weed burner torch takes out fruit flies!

My father was up on land we own in the mountains. He had just had catelope for lunch.

The FFs were on his camp trailer door screen begging to get in.

Mind you this is a NYLON screen!

He tells this story afterwards to our horror, then amazement! From the outside he lights his favorite fire starter, stands at a right angle to the closed door and screen and does an imitation of a Hawian flame dancer. He quickly passes the lit torch across the screen at a distance that attracts the fruit flies to the light given off by the torch but not hot enough to damage the screen!

He claims he "killed them by the BILLIONS". I am sure he did! ........

There were no witnesses and the screen was still intact so that's all I can attest to ...... so if anyone wants to take this story to the "next level" ..... and try it your self ... you are on your own!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    No, I have not tried that approach, but sounds easy enough - I have both DE and bait (just no flies right now).
    A guy on another forum just posted that he's catching fruitflies in his Gloue zappers like I have. He posted this grid pic.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240430_155357[1].jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	326144