WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataReloading Everything
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Looking for an affordable wheelchair van.

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!

Looking for an affordable wheelchair van.

My father is to the point where he is too difficult to get in and out of a vehicle. We rented a van with a wheelchair ramp to get him to his last doctors appointment.

Started looking to purchase one and was shocked at the prices!!!

Dad has used the word eccentric to describe me. In my mind the range of most desirable is a V8 rear wheel drive with manual hydraulic controls for a lift. Or even a manual lift. Stroke the handle like a bottle jack wouldn’t hurt my feelings. Least desirable is a mini-van with failure prone automatic transmissions and complicated electronics or an automated lift by an obsolete manufacturer.

I’m an industrial mechanic and have some tools. Looking for a bargain and don’t mind something that needs a little work. (No electrical gremlins though) I even thought about a cargo van with a lift and adding tie-down points and a seatbelt for the wheelchair myself. Once you enter mobility or wheelchair in a search, prices seem to increase tenfold.

Have you seen anything in your area or know someone who has one they no longer need?

Thanks

Moderator Emeritus

Its in SW MN but my friend has one... unfortunately it has a fuel issue I think comes down to bad fuel pump wiring... older Ford full size van. Motor runs sometimes then shuts down from lack of fuel. A lot of the time you can't hear the added on fuel pump start up... dual tanks so a long range driver...

Boolit Master
    We got one for a church member 2 years ago on eBay. It was just north of $15k which I didn't think was bad.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Barry54,

Unfortunate that we had to “upload” two very good used ones just recently. One for my mother who is now bed ridden in a nursing home and was unique in that the seats rotated and lowered out of the car to allow someone who is relatively mobile but could not turn and lift legs in to the passenger seat (or drivers seat). Worked great. When we sold it they unmodified it as the market for handicapped vans of that type are low.

The other was for my son who is in a wheel chair (quadriplegic) and he needs a new car. The old one was still pretty good, but was 12 years old had a lot of miles and his trust paid for it. Didn’t want to breakdown on the backroads of Maine with a child in a wheel chair so, got a new one. That one we sold to a company that modifies cars (where we bought his new one). They are a national chain and also sell used handicapped vans. They are called MobilityWorks.com. Handicapped vans are expensive but check them out. They were very helpful and they had an office within 75 miles of wherever lived, even Maine. I’ve been driving handicapped vehicles for 30 years and have suggestions and advice. Feel free to PM me and I’ll give you my phone number and we can talk. Bill

Boolit Master

I use the Ford Transit connect, and a folding 6 foot ramp, I put a lift in my truck for the power chair,I'm able to transfer into the passager seat, the ford is a commercial small van and sits kinda low to the ground. We had a full size Chevy but my wife wanted something smaller. If I need the power chair I'll just take the truck for that trip. The City Transit Connect was only $25K price range. 78,000 and not any troubles. pretty good on gas too.
    Last edited by SSGOldfart; 04-28-2024 at 03:10 PM. Reason: small keybroad large fingers
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master

might be a tad big but old handicap school buses can be had cheep, most will need some tlc
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Man
    Check with the local ambulance service. In our area they are usually reasonably priced when they take them out of service. Hope this helps.

We did one several years ago.

I found a gently used full size van, then hunted around for a pulled out/used lift ramp.
    Then bolted it in on the side cargo door.

I think I paid $500. for the lift ramp.
    Bolting it to the floor was easy enough, then connect the two battery cables.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    We had a van converted by MobilityWorks and we're blessed with it. My wife had some mobility so the power chair (rotated out/lower chair) was great but as her mobility decreased we gave up on the van and use a service called "The Ride" that's an off shoot of our state transport system the MBTA. The fare is $3 each way and is door to door. The OP may want to check there may be something similar in his state.

Boolit Master
    Nursing homes use those vehicles. You might try checking with homes in the area and see if they have anything.

Here a few resource, that you can contact and they may be able to help.

https://www.mobilityworks.com/financ...nce/tennessee/

List of organizations all on one page.
    https://www.braunability.com/us/en/h...v-funding.html

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Its in SW MN but my friend has one... unfortunately it has a fuel issue I think comes down to bad fuel pump wiring... older Ford full size van. Motor runs sometimes then shuts down from lack of fuel. A lot of the time you can't hear the added on fuel pump start up... dual tanks so a long range driver...
    Good morning Ms MaryB
    When you say older are we talking carburetor old? I assume it’s got fuel infection since you mentioned an electric fuel pump vs a mechanical fuel pump. Do you know about what year it is?
    Thanks

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Barry54 View Post
    Good morning Ms MaryB
    When you say older are we talking carburetor old? I assume it’s got fuel infection since you mentioned an electric fuel pump vs a mechanical fuel pump. Do you know about what year it is?
    Thanks
    Carbs... with dual tanks it gets 2 fuel pumps... I will see that friend today and will ask him what he wants for it... it was pretty cheap...

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Check in your area for charitable organizations who accept unwanted items such as what you need that work to get them in the hands of people who need them. A good place to start is if your county has a Department of Aging or for Senior Citizens. There are agencies/organizations who accept donations of used medical equipment and supplies for those with a need. Get on the phone and make some calls - try a Hospice organization - explain your need and see if they can give you a name of an agency that dies things like that. If you make a few calls, someone should be able to give you the information that will put you in touch with a place in your area.

My mother was paraplegic the last ten years of her life. When I settled her estate, I was told that used medical equipment had no value as insurance will not pay for used medical equipment. We had a very bice regular wheel chair and a brand new electric wheel chair that we had just received - maybe 4 hours of use that cost $18K with Medicare and our co-pay - I was told had no value as far as her estate as it was "used". I'm a Shriner and with the help of a couple fellow Shriners, we loaded them up and drove to the Shriner's Hospital in Chicago and I donated them to the hospital - within 24 hours they were in the hands of patients and their family at no cost to them.

If your Dad is now ambulatory - he and his Doctor should be working to get him what he needs through Medi-Care. A bunch of hoops to jump through but it may be a solution if you can't find a used one. Good luck - I know what you're going through and you'll come up with what you need.

Moderator Emeritus

Sent you a private message with details.

Don't forget that the equipment purchase and installation expenses qualify as an income tax deduction. Have your physician write a prescription for the van with a diagnosis of your father's condition and a statement of medical necessity for specific equipment, and keep your receipts!

Boolit Master
    Another hint if you have a sales tax on vehicles since a wheelchair van may be tax exempt from sales tax.

Just check used car lots and national sales Co. Her sis got a used toyota with side ramp. He passed earlier this yr and she sold it for about 10k$. They are around.
    Whatever!