WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: Looking to add.357

Boolit Master

Looking to add.357

Looks like Marlin but not against Winchesters. Any reason not to go with a new mfg. Vs older and what yrs if that matters. I want to push them hard enough to take a whitetail deer.

You double posted. Might want o delete one of them.

Sam Sackett

You can't go wrong with the Marlin, a new one is okay, but I like the older ones, such as this 1894CL:

But the absolute top is a Turnbull finished Winchester 1892:

[url=https://postimg.cc/f3HRMR6j]

Mine is 44 Magnum, but they offer them in 357 Magnum.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Buddy
    Dan,

You probably can't go wrong with any.

If you go Marlin, the JM stamped (on the barrel, just in front of the reciever) will probably always command a premium price. The interim Rugers were hit and miss, but some are just fine and can probably be found at lower prices. The new, Ruger Marlins, are built using Ruger's modern processes and are fine rifle. The Marlins operate more smoothly than most Winchesters and can be very easily tuned and actions lightened, if that is something you want to do.

When you say Winchester, you have the options of 1873, 1892 and 1894. The 73 is the smoothest, but probably the weaker action, if you want to push the loading. The 92 is the smoother than the 94.

I have owned all the models, except my 73s have all been Ubertis and the only problem I have ever had was the lifter on a 94 once broke. (I think that is the weakest link in the new 94s) I currently shoot a 24 inch Miroku built Winchester 92 and a 24 inch Uberti 73 in long range competition, out to 250 yards. The Uberti has a slight edge, but not by much. I am shooting strictly cast bullets and they both like 180 grain plus, for the best accuracy. None of my loads are on the "hot" side, but if I wanted to go that route, I would push with the Winchester. I have a 24" Marlin that is a fine rifle, but have never found a load that shoots as well.

Good luck,

Jackpine

Boolit Master
    I’d throw Henry into the ring as well. Much easier to find, lifetime warranty, and I love mine. Action is smooth, either blued/case hardened/brass receivers, optional HEAVY octagon barrels.

Boolit Mold
    If you're looking to acquire a 357 levergun I noticed you left out the Rossi/Braztech M92. I recently bought a new one. It came to me a little rough(oversprung in several areas) and needed a little polishing but I knew and expected that going in. I watched some youtube videos and read up on these rifles. I worked on it myself. After a few disassemble/re-assemble sessions I have that rifle running slicker than snot. 16" barrel,weighs about 5.5 lbs, topped off with a Marbles tang sight this has become a favorite rifle in my old age.

I have a JM Marlin 357 made in the mid 90’s. Good gun. I know someone who has a later late Rem made Marlin 357 slicked up for cowboy action and it’s wonderful. And I know someone with the new Ruger made Marlin 357 and it’s a quality made gun. Remember Marlins fieldstrip pretty easily to clean from the breech with the bolt removed should you want to do that. Or just leave the bolt in. And I do also love my 1925 manufactured Win. 92 in 32-20.

Marlins eject the empties forward and on the right side. Win. 92 ejects 12 o’clock high. Marlins have the top scope mounting option as well.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadWoodDan View Post
    Looks like Marlin but not against Winchesters. Any reason not to go with a new mfg. Vs older and what yrs if that matters. I want to push them hard enough to take a whitetail deer.
    Any of the ones you choose will take a whitetail deer. I have personally shot and killed over fifty whitetails using .357mag revolvers. Any hunting load you shoot out of a rifle will easily give you several hundred feet per second more velocity out of a rifle. I’ve also shot a few dozen with several rifles chambered in 357. Deer are not very difficult to kill with a well placed shot. I repeat “well placed shot”. If you can kill them with a bow (I’ve shot over a hundred with a bow) you can easily kill them with the 357mag.

Moderator Emeritus

I'd buy new.
    a Ruger made Marlin is top of my list.
    Then comes a Henry.
    That's my 2˘
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by maddog13 View Post
    If you're looking to acquire a 357 levergun I noticed you left out the Rossi/Braztech M92. I recently bought a new one. It came to me a little rough(oversprung in several areas) and needed a little polishing but I knew and expected that going in. I watched some youtube videos and read up on these rifles. I worked on it myself. After a few disassemble/re-assemble sessions I have that rifle running slicker than snot. 16" barrel,weighs about 5.5 lbs, topped off with a Marbles tang sight this has become a favorite rifle in my old age.
    I've got a Rossi, too.
    You almost have to expect to do some work on them. But yes, it's my most fun rifle.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have had:

Three JM Marlins - one .38 Spl, one .357 and one .44
    One Rossi 92 - .45LC
    Two Uberti 1873's in .357
    Winchester 94 in .30/30
    Marlin 336 in .30/30

I have the .38 and .357 Marlins and both .30/30's left.

The Marlins are like a divorce. They are expensive because they are worth it. You will pay more, but IMO you will be very pleased and never want for anything better. Easy peasy to mount a scope for load development. Easy to mount a tang sight. Easy to strip and clean.

The extra $200-300 over the "lesser" options seems like a lot of money but not over the decades you will enjoy the gun.

I have not, and will not, use .357 to hunt deer. It is a marginal caliber with too short a range for my needs (up to 150 yards). I have a .30/30 lever action and would use that if I wanted a lever action "woods gun" to hunt deer. The .30/30 can still be used for low powered plinking, but it drives a 170 gr bullet 30% faster for 70% more energy and range than a .357.

I have put over 100k rounds through the various lever actions above. The big advantage of the .357's is being able to use cheap .38 brass, more affordable SP primers, and being able to load on a progressive using carbide dies if you intend to plink a lot. If you will be plinking less than 1000 rounds a year, a 336 in .30/30 would be worth considering. That is $50-75/year extra for primers for a more effective hunting caliber. I have seen very good used 336's for $300+ less than a Marlin 1894.

You can turn a .30/30 into a .38 Spl plinking round, but you cannot turn a .357 into a .30/30.
    Don Verna

Boolit Mold
    I have a Marlin jm stamped 30AS 30 30. It's a smooth rifle.

Can’t go wrong with either the Marlin or Winchester. Biggest difference is probably scope mounting.

Ive owned Marlin 1894 in 357 and the Henry in 357. I dont currently have one but Im going to get another one. It will for sure be a Marlin. Henry has good customer service and does take care of you if there are problems. But lately there is to many Henrys returning for some sort of issue. I like the Marlins better.
    NRA Life Member

Guns have two enemies Rust and Politicians

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by DeadWoodDan View Post
    I have two Marlins. Just a "headsup" re one of them: I bought the 1979 Model 1894, serial # 21,049,xxx and it functioned awesomely -- UNTIL I put some ,38 S&W Specials in! Super Jam-matic which necessitated a trip to gunsmith who charged about $100.00 US dollars to remove that .38 S&W Special case !
    On the other hand, the second -- a Marlin Cowboy Limited model 1894CB, serial # 03028xxx -- functions awesomely with BOTH the .357 Magnum as well as .38 Smith & Wesson ammunition.
    Not a happy camper, I researched it and Marlin was "covered" as the instructions with the early one indicate the .357 only. And... I have heard that they "fixed" the problem.
    However -- should an early model 1894 Marlin appear -- you may wish to check this out.
    Good luckj -- GREAT firearms!
    geeo

Boolit Master

I can't speak of the new production Marlins, but I have CB and a Limited and they are just fine, I can't imagine the new productions are any less. Henry.... I have an X model, All Weather and the Case hardened/octagon. Everyone of them, top drawer. My favorite is a Uberti 1873 Winchester, best in balance, accuracy and points like a finger. Bringing up the rear is my Rossi, Marginal, no better. I hate to say that because I have a 44 Mag and a 454 and they are flat great. Don't over look the Ruger 357/77, great light hunting rifle and it has provisions for easy scope mounting if you wish. As to scope mounting, you have basically a hundred yard rifle. Unless your eyes are really poor, it shouldn't be an issue when you go to whack a deer so don't rule out the top eject models. Needless to say, I'm pretty fond of .357 rifles I use one every year for deer hunting. Good luck on your search.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    The new 1894's are coming down in price too. At the same shop, the .44 has gone from $1100.00 to $989.00 in the past few months. That's less than nice JM guns are going for nowadays, I would definitely buy one for that price. Already got a sweet 1982 edition. Rossi's are creeping up in price, and they still have some issues with large chambers. My Rossi is good but I don't know if I will ever roll the dice on another one.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    they still have some issues with large chambers. My Rossi is good but I don't know if I will ever roll the dice on another one.
    Jeepers, ain't it the truth.
    Tried two Rossi's in .45 Colt for CAS, the first one had an oversize chamber so much so that the cases were not only ballooned, but never sealed well so lots of blowback.
    The second one was better but still had unacceptable case expansion.
    A friends Rossi in .45 Colt was just fine, go figure.
    That saying about "Third times a charm"? No thanks, they won't get a third chance from me.

Boolit Buddy
    Don’t forget about G-Force wish someone would purchase one and give a report. Buds Guns has them in stock.