Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Wasp Rice Shot Loads: .38/.45LC

Quote Originally Posted by Barry54 View Post
    The capsules are a great idea!

Instead of wax, how about Lee Liquid Alox to stick them in place? Would it degrade the capsule material?
    I think I have some in my reloading stuff. I'll check it out. I did do some capsules with wax but the ones with tape are stuck better abeit a bit tedious to do.
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Still playing around with the capsules. I kinda fell into something with them. I took the piece of brass that I overcrimped. It had a waist in it 3/16" down. I flared it and then put the capsule in it which made it tighter around it then ran it thru the seater die which scrunched everything together making it tight. Still tweaking it. If they are loose I can use a birthday candle and hold the case at an angle and get wax on the case mouth around the capsule.

Lee Alox was a big no way. Sticky, stinky and did not secure the capsule even after being left overnight.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240511_112053.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	326483

Boolit Master
    With access to a lathe, one could turn any size capsule from plastic rod and also make caps. Most folks don’t shoot huge amounts of small shotloads so the production time would be minimal.

Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    With access to a lathe, one could turn any size capsule from plastic rod and also make caps. Most folks don’t shoot huge amounts of small shotloads so the production time would be minimal.
    Yep. You don't load a ton of these. I initially shot ~25 wasps but that culled the ones I had hanging around the house. It's been slim pickings since my initial foray into it.

Once I get this figured out and a good method to secure them the extra time will be negligible. Still got a few tricks up my sleeve. I'll update as I get it going in the right direction.

Boolit Grand Master
    Just an update wrt using paper straws for .38 Spl "shot" cups.

The 9mm straws were too large. The 9mm straws just barely fit a slightly belled .38 case but would not seat down far enough. I might be able to make them work but it was going to be too much dinking around. I am lazy.

Ordered 8 mm straws and they will arrive next week.

Couple of thoughts:

I want paper straws that are biodegradeable as I do not want to pick up plastic bits. I plan to use paper "gas checks" to seal the top and bottom of the straw and glue them in place.

For those of you who could use plastic cups, plastic straws might be worth looking at. I think plastic straws would work for lead shot loads and would be easy to seal using heat like the gearnasher method.

Another thing I will try is a two part capsule for the .38 using a section of 8mm straw seated deep in the case, and the 9mm straw extended out far enough to maximize "shot" load. The 9mm straw will provide a good crimp surface at the mouth of the case.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Just an update wrt using paper straws for .38 Spl "shot" cups.

The 9mm straws were too large. The 9mm straws just barely fit a slightly belled .38 case but would not seat down far enough. I might be able to make them work but it was going to be too much dinking around. I am lazy.

Ordered 8 mm straws and they will arrive next week.

Couple of thoughts:

I want paper straws that are biodegradeable as I do not want to pick up plastic bits. I plan to use paper "gas checks" to seal the top and bottom of the straw and glue them in place.

For those of you who could use plastic cups, plastic straws might be worth looking at. I think plastic straws would work for lead shot loads and would be easy to seal using heat like the gearnasher method.

Another thing I will try is a two part capsule for the .38 using a section of 8mm straw seated deep in the case, and the 9mm straw extended out far enough to maximize "shot" load. The 9mm straw will provide a good crimp surface at the mouth of the case.
    Looking forward to your results. One thing I like about the capsules I'm using is that they are gelatin. Dissolve in water/biodegradable/digestable

What if you used paper cartridges? I make them for my cap n ball pistols. I bought a kit a couple of years ago. Fill the paper cartridges with rice, twist the top to retain it and seat it in a primed and charged case? I think it would work. I’d try it but I just had surgery to re attach a torn bicep. I will be one handed for at least 6 weeks.

I can’t post photos here, but would be glad to email or text pictures to anyone unfamiliar with what paper cartridges look like.

Quote Originally Posted by sureYnot View Post
    They're always going under my siding. I figured that was bad. I'm from the north until the last few years. Some of the creatures here are new to me.
    You inspired me to read a little. I've killed 2. Those will be the only 2. Thanks.
    The above is regarding skinks on the porch. I was admiring a really big one on my porch today amazed at his size when all of a sudden...WHAM!! An American Kestrel blazes across my porch and snatches him up. He was going 100mph 6" inside the porch post and a couple inches off the deck. Couldn't believe it it happened so fast. Blazing fast little falcon.