Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Wasp Rice Shot Loads: .38/.45LC

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    I might have missed it but didn't see where anyone mentioned plain old salt - not big rock salt but that coarse grind stuff that's about 1/32"-1/16" in size.

I usually shoot single wasps with an old Daisy BB gun that doesn't have any sights. One cocking stroke then aim down the side of the barrel. Any nest with more than one gets hit with Spectracide in the red, white and black can - but I leave them completely alone unless they are a threat to the family or the pets. Figure they have a purpose in keeping the spider population controlled.
    The wasps and I are currently engaged in a 20 year war spanning the vast lands of Oklahoma. I've attempted to negotiate a peace with them on multiple occasions. But they always chose violence....
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Buddy
    Mustard seed over 2 gns 700X, out of a 4 inch 357, at 2 & 5 ft.

Rice

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sureYnot View Post

Your 2ft groups with mustard seed look like my 5ft groups with Sweet Rice out of my 2" SP101. Maybe the little football shaped sweet rice is having some type of aerodynamic effect on the pattern...
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post
    Your 2ft groups with mustard seed look like my 5ft groups with Sweet Rice out of my 2" SP101. Maybe the little football shaped sweet rice is having some type of aerodynamic effect on the pattern...
    Now I kinda want to run to the grocery store.

Boolit Master
    I'll take a photo when I get back to the house to post. I'm not sure where to even buy sweet rice. The son brought it home a while back, and it was just sitting in the kitchen...

Back to work after vacation last week so no weekday playing for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    Might be a bit too hard, but instead of rice or grits, I have used "ancini de pepe" pasta as a payload in my 38's (using 357 max brass) for snakes around the house. 2-3' away will penetrate one of the critters. Used 3gr of bullseye. Probably could use 2gr or a bit less if just for wasps or carpenter bees.
    Fancy pasta for your killing? Sounds like it would work good but may be hard on the siding.
    Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    I might have missed it but didn't see where anyone mentioned plain old salt - not big rock salt but that coarse grind stuff that's about 1/32"-1/16" in size.

I usually shoot single wasps with an old Daisy BB gun that doesn't have any sights. One cocking stroke then aim down the side of the barrel. Any nest with more than one gets hit with Spectracide in the red, white and black can - but I leave them completely alone unless they are a threat to the family or the pets. Figure they have a purpose in keeping the spider population controlled.
    I don't want salt anywhere near my firearms. Also no used walnut shell media. Carbon and polishing compound is no bueno for the barrel.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post
    The wasps and I are currently engaged in a 20 year war spanning the vast lands of Oklahoma. I've attempted to negotiate a peace with them on multiple occasions. But they always chose violence....
    Me too. They have treated me poorly over the years. My last straw was last year when 3 were hanging out on the top of my storm door. All 3 stung me in the back of the neck as I exited the door. Having absolutely zero clue what had happened I hit the deck face first. Luckily no damage other than the need to clean out the shorts then rage and vengeance. All stinging insects choose combat if near my house.

Rice

I stand by rice as being the most effective media. The sharp ends and long end-over-end pieces rip up a wasp. Paper says it all.
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Boolit Master
    Ok, so I guess my memory was finder than reality. Still not a bad patter for 5-6 feet.

Boolit Grand Master
    ancini de pepe pasta is fairly round and probably 1/3 to 1/2 the size of a grain of rice. Maybe the size of small tapioca.

Boolit Buddy
    I was out behind the garage, feeding the chickens, when I heard it. Faint, at first. Just nudging the edge of my consiousness. As I finished up and shut the coop door the sound came into focus. That unmistakable, low-pitched buzz. The enemy. A carpenter.

"I hear you. I'll be right back." A smile crept onto my face as I turned for the house.

Now armed with my trusty .357 Magnum Rice Chucker of Death, I crept down the pathway between the house and the garage. Listening carefully for any sign of the enemy.

This one is sly, I know. That's why he's lived this long. I think he might be the last of them. He hasn't shown himself yet. Probably the same carp that fell back to the neighbor's the other day. It's best if I can get the drop on him.

I didn't have to wait long. There it was. Faint, but clear. There. Over by the shed. They always liked to eat my shed. I stalked toward the shed, trying to see everywhere at once. The sound grew louder as I approached. I had to be right. There he was! Hovering low to the left of the shed!

I crept closer, took careful aim (I wanted this one DEAD) and BANG! ZING! He's around the corner!

Dang it! Too far. I knew it and did it anyway. No time for that. I can chew myself out later. Now I've alerted him and the battle is on.

I move swiftly around the corner, Rice Chucker of Death leading the way. The carp is right there, Not three feet away. Perfect.

As I squeeze off my shot the carp zips straight up and then mounts a charge at my face! My supreme efforts to move my face backwards six feet, while my feet remained firmly planted, proved futile. Thankfully, the charge was merely a feint as the carp performed a half-loop barrel roll and headed back the other way. BANGzig. BANGzag. Around the next corner he goes.

The neighbor's house is in the backdrop around that corner. I know I can't shoot. But I still need intel. Hopefully, I can see where he goes, at least.

I burst around the corner before he can disappear and there he is. Chest height, 2-3' and not moving a bit. We stared at each other for a good 10 seconds while I planned my next move. I'm sure it's that same filthy carp from the other day. He's using the neighbor as a shield now!

I could advance and try to push him around the corner, thereby maintaining visual contact. But he might fall back to the neighbor's again.

Or I could try to get around the other direction before he goes anywhere, but then I lose visual contact and he could disappear.

I went with the latter, counting on his love of eating my shed to keep him around a bit longer if he wasn't being pushed too hard. Addicts are nothing if not predictable.

Two shots left. Stay focused. Don't get excited and screw up like you did in the baginning. I'm ready to round the final corner when I heard a buzz over my head going towards the shed.

I glance up, knowing it isn't the carp (the buzz was too high pitched). A wasp. Perched right by the spot that other wasp came out of last year and nailed me in the...wait a minute...

Then I knew. It was the same wasp. That filthy carp was building an army! He would never give up his favorite snack. It was him or me. He had to be stopped. And I had to stop him. I took careful aim and disintegrated the wasp. I couldn't afford to have an enemy at my back as I moved in for the final kill.

One shot left. Better make it count.

I took a breath, let it out, and stepped out from the corner.

My eye locked on the carp as I brought up the Rice Chucker of Death. Time slowed as I obtained sight picture. This was it! I began to squeeze and ZING he went up and at my face again, veering off at the last second. This time heading back the way I came from. I turned in time to see him go around the next corner.

Sprinting past the shed, I caught him on the next side and fired my last shot. He lay there kicking and (hopefully) begging for his life.

Slowly, I lowered Rice Chucker to my side. It was over. Taking one step forward I ground the enemy into the dirt beneath my boot heel. (actually a flip-flop)

A well-spent 35 cents.

plug for safety glasses: When I shot the wasp a piece of rice came back and hit me in the head. It didn't hurt. But it would have been not fun in the eye.

Boolit Master

Good story and well written. Nothing like the death rattle of the enemy in the afternoon. Puts a glow on the day. james

I was out behind the garage, feeding the chickens, when I heard it. Faint, at first. Just nudging the edge of my consiousness. As I finished up and shut the coop door the sound came into focus. That unmistakable, low-pitched buzz. The enemy. A carpenter.

"I hear you. I'll be right back." A smile crept onto my face as I turned for the house.

Now armed with my trusty .357 Magnum Rice Chucker of Death, I crept down the pathway between the house and the garage. Listening carefully for any sign of the enemy.

This one is sly, I know. That's why he's lived this long. I think he might be the last of them. He hasn't shown himself yet. Probably the same carp that fell back to the neighbor's the other day. It's best if I can get the drop on him.

I didn't have to wait long. There it was. Faint, but clear. There. Over by the shed. They always liked to eat my shed. I stalked toward the shed, trying to see everywhere at once. The sound grew louder as I approached. I had to be right. There he was! Hovering low to the left of the shed!

I crept closer, took careful aim (I wanted this one DEAD) and BANG! ZING! He's around the corner!

Dang it! Too far. I knew it and did it anyway. No time for that. I can chew myself out later. Now I've alerted him and the battle is on.

I move swiftly around the corner, Rice Chucker of Death leading the way. The carp is right there, Not three feet away. Perfect.

As I squeeze off my shot the carp zips straight up and then mounts a charge at my face! My supreme efforts to move my face backwards six feet, while my feet remained firmly planted, proved futile. Thankfully, the charge was merely a feint as the carp performed a half-loop barrel roll and headed back the other way. BANGzig. BANGzag. Around the next corner he goes.

The neighbor's house is in the backdrop around that corner. I know I can't shoot. But I still need intel. Hopefully, I can see where he goes, at least.

I burst around the corner before he can disappear and there he is. Chest height, 2-3' and not moving a bit. We stared at each other for a good 10 seconds while I planned my next move. I'm sure it's that same filthy carp from the other day. He's using the neighbor as a shield now!

I could advance and try to push him around the corner, thereby maintaining visual contact. But he might fall back to the neighbor's again.

Or I could try to get around the other direction before he goes anywhere, but then I lose visual contact and he could disappear.

I went with the latter, counting on his love of eating my shed to keep him around a bit longer if he wasn't being pushed too hard. Addicts are nothing if not predictable.

Two shots left. Stay focused. Don't get excited and screw up like you did in the baginning. I'm ready to round the final corner when I heard a buzz over my head going towards the shed.

I glance up, knowing it isn't the carp (the buzz was too high pitched). A wasp. Perched right by the spot that other wasp came out of last year and nailed me in the...wait a minute...

Then I knew. It was the same wasp. That filthy carp was building an army! He would never give up his favorite snack. It was him or me. He had to be stopped. And I had to stop him. I took careful aim and disintegrated the wasp. I couldn't afford to have an enemy at my back as I moved in for the final kill.

One shot left. Better make it count.

I took a breath, let it out, and stepped out from the corner.

My eye locked on the carp as I brought up the Rice Chucker of Death. Time slowed as I obtained sight picture. This was it! I began to squeeze and ZING he went up and at my face again, veering off at the last second. This time heading back the way I came from. I turned in time to see him go around the next corner.

Sprinting past the shed, I caught him on the next side and fired my last shot. He lay there kicking and (hopefully) begging for his life.

Slowly, I lowered Rice Chucker to my side. It was over. Taking one step forward I ground the enemy into the dirt beneath my boot heel. (actually a flip-flop)

A well-spent 35 cents.

plug for safety glasses: When I shot the wasp a piece of rice came back and hit me in the head. It didn't hurt. But it would have been not fun in the eye.
    Awesome short story. I laughed, I cried, now I'm hungry.

Boolit Grand Master
    I will never top that!
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    Quote Originally Posted by steve urquell View Post
    9mm rice/COW loads. I fill the case with rice 1/8" down from the top then top off with COW and shake it to allow it to fill between the rice grains. Final tamp is with the base of the Lee dipper which perfectly seats the COW 1/16" below the case neck. For safety I move the powder off the bench before capping with wax.

So this is strange. It seems like as the case volume decreases the need for powder significantly decreases. I had some 0.7gr 9mm loads and they rang my ears. Kept decreasing it and am now at 0.4gr.

I need to try these on a live subject to test effectiveness.

Attachment 326012
    So this is strange. It seems like as the case volume decreases the need for powder significantly decreases

Yes. And chamber pressure sharply increases! That was one of the features with my 200 grain 9mm tests.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry54 View Post
    Yes. And chamber pressure sharply increases! That was one of the features with my 200 grain 9mm tests.
    Having reloaded for 40 years I am very aware of the increased pressure of small volume cases. The thing that was strange about this was the huge change from a .38spl case to the 9mm case. Even at 5x less powder than the .38s I still seem to have higher pressure in the 9mm.

Edit: I switched from Bullseye in the .38 and .45LC to salvaged 12ga shell powder somewhere in there. May be the reason for the drastic difference.

Boolit Buddy
    Bullseye is pretty fast, but there are some faster powders used in 12 gauge.

Think you had some compression in the 9mm wasp load? Or less than the 38? I went back and read the first post for the 38 recipe. There wasn’t any cream of wheat buffer in those loads. Could the 9mm have actually had a heavier projectile weight than 38 special? Could the duplex payload somehow made more friction and caused the pressure to spike?

Weren’t you using a fast shotgun powder in 9mm with the first round pop discussion? I don’t remember what it was.
    Last edited by Barry54; 04-30-2024 at 09:12 PM.

Think you had some compression in the 9mm wasp load? Or less than the 38?

Weren’t you using a fast shotgun powder in 9mm with the first round pop discussion? I don’t remember what it was.
    Could be a combo of the powder, more compression with the cereal box wads vs corrugated cardboard and adding cream of wheat with the rice making a heavier load. That vid where the wasp disintegrated was a 0.4gr load. Could decrease to 0.3 easily

ETA: TiteWad is my fav 9mm powder and it is very fast.

Boolit Grand Master

Think you had some compression in the 9mm wasp load? Or less than the 38? I went back and read the first post for the 38 recipe. There wasn’t any cream of wheat buffer in those loads. Could the 9mm have actually had a heavier projectile weight than 38 special? Could the duplex payload somehow made more friction and caused the pressure to spike?

Nothing faster than BE is used in 12 ga. In fact BE is not even listed for 12 ga loads today. There is some old BE data for light 12 loads…really old data.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Nothing faster than BE is used in 12 ga. In fact BE is not even listed for 12 ga loads today. There is some old BE data for light 12 loads…really old data.
    My BPI 10th edition copyright 2016 has 21 bullseye loads for 3/4 ounce loads on page 173.

Tightwad, WAA Lite and E3 are faster than bullseye on the first burn rate chart I pulled up online...

Boolit Buddy
    The Lyman 5th edition copyright 2023 also contains data for Vihtavuori N310 powder in 12 gauge. 7/8 ounce, And 1 ounce loads on page 149 and a 1-1/8 ounce load on page 150.

Every burn rate chart I recall has N310 faster than bullseye. It’s usually in the top three fastest powders on every chart.

I got my .45LC to 9mm adapters in yesterday. They work good in the derringer with the 9mm .04gr loads with rice/COW mix. I'm doing a thread on them for shooting 9mm bullets.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240502_170010.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	117.0 KB 
ID:	326220
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240503_132918.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	326221