Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionWideners
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Wasp Rice Shot Loads: .38/.45LC

I live in town and even a pellet gun is pushing it.
    I have a single action BB/pellet revolver, cowboy gun that has cartridges that load ether a BB or pellet.
    I'm thinking that maybe the cartridges could be loaded with something like grits with a wad at each end to make a silent wasp terminator powered by CO2, sound reasonable?

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    I live in town and even a pellet gun is pushing it.
    I have a single action BB/pellet revolver, cowboy gun that has cartridges that load ether a BB or pellet.
    I'm thinking that maybe the cartridges could be loaded with something like grits with a wad at each end to make a silent wasp terminator powered by CO2, sound reasonable?
    May as well try it. If it penetrates 1 layer of cardboard it will terminate wasps.
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

I finally found a willing participant in my 9mm Rice/COW load. 0.4gr of powder, cereal box wad, wax cap. Probably ~28" distance. I got splattered with wasp backsplash. No marks on my steel siding other than waspy goodness.
    Enjoy the video : https://youtube.com/shorts/Jtt6SlpTrQw?feature=shared

Boolit Master

Go gett'em Tiger. The only reason I am staying with BB is because I am low on small pistol primers and heavy on BB's. james

Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    Go gett'em Tiger. The only reason I am staying with BB is because I am low on small pistol primers and heavy on BB's. james
    Lol. I just got 7,000 Aventuras spp in so I'm living high on primers. I'm interested to see what you and @elmacgyver0 can do with the BBs.

Boolit Buddy
    Tried my hand at this a few days back. First shot dropped one. Then I spent a dollar on primers just making noise and figured that was enough of that.
    But then, my order of those Argentinian primers came and they needed to be tested.
    As I was making room on the shelf for them, I ran across a couple old cans of 700X. And by old, I mean the price tag says $6.99. Also, they were given to me, years ago, in a box of other stuff and they were open. Therefore, I've never used any of it.
    Loading for .357 mag. I ground the rim off a .38 special case so I could use it in my drill. Drilled out the primer pocket so an 8d nail would fit through to push the wads out. Ground the point off the nail. It so happens that the .38 case holds just the right amount of rice for the load.
    I tried wax originally but I'm too messy with it. So, I went with an overshot wad and crimp. 2 gns of powder. I've been killing carpenters all morning. Almost as fun as squirrel hunting!
    Stole some ideas from you folks and mixed it up a bit. I'm having a blast!
    Thanks everyone. Special thanks to Steve! Got any cheese!?

Boolit Master
    Can you quickly grind the rice in a coffee grinder to get smaller particles that would act like grits?

Quote Originally Posted by sureYnot View Post
    Tried my hand at this a few days back. First shot dropped one. Then I spent a dollar on primers just making noise and figured that was enough of that.
    But then, my order of those Argentinian primers came and they needed to be tested.
    As I was making room on the shelf for them, I ran across a couple old cans of 700X. And by old, I mean the price tag says $6.99. Also, they were given to me, years ago, in a box of other stuff and they were open. Therefore, I've never used any of it.
    Loading for .357 mag. I ground the rim off a .38 special case so I could use it in my drill. Drilled out the primer pocket so an 8d nail would fit through to push the wads out. Ground the point off the nail. It so happens that the .38 case holds just the right amount of rice for the load.
    I tried wax originally but I'm too messy with it. So, I went with an overshot wad and crimp. 2 gns of powder. I've been killing carpenters all morning. Almost as fun as squirrel hunting!
    Stole some ideas from you folks and mixed it up a bit. I'm having a blast!
    Thanks everyone. Special thanks to Steve! Got any cheese!?
    Glad you figured out a way for it to work for you. People have griped about the cost but it is as fun as any type of shooting I've done so I feel like the cost is worth it--at least to me. I actually disassembled some old shotgun shells with rusty brass and have been using the powder out of. For such low pressure charges it does not scare me in any way.

And, no, I don't have any cheese but would like some. How about you? Do you have any cheese?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Horse View Post
    Can you quickly grind the rice in a coffee grinder to get smaller particles that would act like grits?
    I guess you could but it may be easier to use walnut shell media. I like the rice being bigger and heavier to allow it to carry with more punch(I think anyways) It made a difference on paper when I patterened the loads. https://youtube.com/shorts/jdJ-NM8K-PE?feature=shared

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    Try Grits instead of rice.
    or

cream of wheat,

trust me don't use this indoors,I did it's a mess to clean out of the kitchen trust me here lol
    Last edited by SSGOldfart; 04-28-2024 at 02:54 PM. Reason: small keybroad large fingers
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

I loaded up six of the pellet cartridges with grits and egg carton wads.
    One wad at the base and two at the mouth as the wads fit looser there.
    I used one of those harness makers rotary punches at the biggest setting for the wads, perfect for the .177 cal or 4.5 mm if you prefer.
    Have not tested yet, hoping it is at least as good as a Bug-A-Salt.

Quote Originally Posted by SSGOldfart View Post

trust me don't use this indoors,I did it's a mess to clean out of the kitchen trust me here lol

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    I loaded up six of the pellet cartridges with grits and egg carton wads.
    One wad at the base and two at the mouth as the wads fit looser there.
    I used one of those harness makers rotary punches at the biggest setting for the wads, perfect for the .177 cal or 4.5 mm if you prefer.
    Have not tested yet, hoping it is at least as good as a Bug-A-Salt.
    Good luck with it. Hope it works.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by steve urquell View Post
    Glad you figured out a way for it to work for you. People have griped about the cost but it is as fun as any type of shooting I've done so I feel like the cost is worth it--at least to me. I actually disassembled some old shotgun shells with rusty brass and have been using the powder out of. For such low pressure charges it does not scare me in any way.

And, no, I don't have any cheese but would like some. How about you? Do you have any cheese?
    Between the cheap primers and the powder I would have eventually tossed, it's cheaper than plinking with rimfire. And more fun than shooting cans.
    I spent less than $2 so far and got hours of entertainment.
    Sadly, I'm about out of bees. I think they're on to me. I heard one a few minutes ago. We saw each other. He booked it over to the neighbor's.

Edit: Yes, I have cheese. I am never without cheese. It is a life essential. Similar to bacon.

Between the cheap primers and the powder I would have eventually tossed, it's cheaper than plinking with rimfire. And more fun than shooting cans.
    I spent less than $2 so far and got hours of entertainment.
    Sadly, I'm about out of bees. I think they're on to me. I heard one a few minutes ago. We saw each other. He booked it over to the neighbor's.
    My last wasp was staring me down yesterday trying to decide on an attack or flight. He chose poorly.

Yes, I have cheese. I am never without cheese. It is a life essential. Similar to bacon.
    I'll be right over. For the cheese and an autograph. He was great in Footloose and Tremors.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bacon.PNG 
Views:	7 
Size:	281.4 KB 
ID:	326078

Boolit Buddy
    Downed my first bumble bee yesterday with rice in a 357 mag. Sounded like a cap gun going off. Wife is super excited to have a fun way to get wasp and bumble bees this summer. What fun. Thanks for the idea and write up.

Quote Originally Posted by floydboy View Post
    Downed my first bumble bee yesterday with rice in a 357 mag. Sounded like a cap gun going off. Wife is super excited to have a fun way to get wasp and bumble bees this summer. What fun. Thanks for the idea and write up.

Boolit Grand Master
    Might be a bit too hard, but instead of rice or grits, I have used "ancini de pepe" pasta as a payload in my 38's (using 357 max brass) for snakes around the house. 2-3' away will penetrate one of the critters. Used 3gr of bullseye. Probably could use 2gr or a bit less if just for wasps or carpenter bees.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    Might be a bit too hard, but instead of rice or grits, I have used "ancini de pepe" pasta as a payload in my 38's (using 357 max brass) for snakes around the house. 2-3' away will penetrate one of the critters. Used 3gr of bullseye. Probably could use 2gr or a bit less if just for wasps or carpenter bees.
    Now that's an idea! How large is the dry pasta? The Sweet Rice i'm using is shaped like little footballs. If I could find something a little more round I might be able to add some distance to my pattern....
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post
    Now that's an idea! How large is the dry pasta? The Sweet Rice i'm using is shaped like little footballs. If I could find something a little more round I might be able to add some distance to my pattern....
    Mustard seed? 22 oz for 12.31 on Amazon.

Tapioca

Boolit Master
    I might have missed it but didn't see where anyone mentioned plain old salt - not big rock salt but that coarse grind stuff that's about 1/32"-1/16" in size.

I usually shoot single wasps with an old Daisy BB gun that doesn't have any sights. One cocking stroke then aim down the side of the barrel. Any nest with more than one gets hit with Spectracide in the red, white and black can - but I leave them completely alone unless they are a threat to the family or the pets. Figure they have a purpose in keeping the spider population controlled.