RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackbox
WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sticky Grips

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grinch View Post
    Great ideas guys. I’ll give them a try. My main concern is the outside being sticky . I cleaned all the inside off ( it’s still gummy though ).
    I saw those wood grips, but hesitated due to them coming from overseas. Will take another look at them. Another thought… I’ve only got $260 invested in this gun and would like to refrain from spending another $100+ on grips.
    U.G., please let us know if any of the stickiness solutions of above are or will give you any results: this will be of future use to all of us_
    about o/sea grips, I don't love them just as I don't love pachhogues & co., but I have to say that the two wooden pairs bought to handle my SRH without being ashamed of myself fit better and snugger than the factory ones_
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Master
    If you have it, try some kerosene. Or a car polish that has the kerosene in it. Last, acetone. The acetone may discolor the grip and will eventually break down the rubber if you don’t wash it off.
    Reading can provide limited education because only shooting provides YOUR answers as you tie everything together for THAT gun. The better the gun, the less you have to know / do & the more flexibility you have to achieve success.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Ackward View Post
    If you have it, try some kerosene. Or a car polish that has the kerosene in it. Last, acetone. The acetone may discolor the grip and will eventually break down the rubber if you don’t wash it off.
    ...acetone can be really aggressive against most unknown plastic/rubber compounds, starting to melt them...
    if used as a last resort, one must be quick, and immediately after go through with white illuminating petroleum soaked rag_
    Last edited by wilecoyote; 04-11-2024 at 09:23 PM.
    Rob

Boolit Master

Well, I tried a number of your suggestions and though some of the sticky was resolved the grips turned out to be very gummy, like the rubber is breaking down. I went ahead and ordered a set of grips off the jungle website and got the fitted prett6 good. I like them much better the the factory rubber grips.

Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I picked up a Taurus model 82 in 38 Spl and the factory grips are very sticky. I tried various cleaning products and none helped. I’d like to replace them but selection choices are few to none. Hogue offers some, but I’m not a fan of their product. Any ideas on replacements?

That's a good and very overbuilt .38 you have there. I had the exact same one for awhile and it was a good shooter, only sold it because I wanted something else. If it was the rare adjustable sight model (83?) I would have kept it.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Well, I tried a number of your suggestions and though some of the sticky was resolved the grips turned out to be very gummy, like the rubber is breaking down. I went ahead and ordered a set of grips off the jungle website and got the fitted prett6 good. I like them much better the the factory rubber grips...
    ...well done !
    Rob

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12