MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Time Coax Owner

Boolit Grand Master

Three 44s How is it going with the new press? meeting expectations?

Boolit Master
    Yes all is well! Thank you for asking!

I need to experiment with different ways to mount it though. The issue is how high the handle is situated plus the fact that it cycles right in front of the press rather than offsetting like many compound leverage presses do.

The claimed leverage advantage must be when comparing the Coax to non-compound presses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Grand Master

DO you load standing or sitting? I have mine mounted on the bench in a slide in mount. And used a bar stool to set on. I had thought about a bench with a narrow L on it with the press mounted operating parallel to the long side of the L. I sit facing the bench and with the press in front of my right shoulder. This gives a straight pull (with my head out of the way.)

There is the option of the short handle if you dont need the leverage.
    A D handle might help some also. Or possibly a handle with a slight curve to it.

The summit has the same issue with handle height.

Boolit Master
    I generally sit. I have a bar stool as well. My standing days are probably behind me though.

We have a farm shop and some ideas about different handle designs have been popping into my head. (I will store you thoughts in there as well, thanks for that.

I watched a video by a seasoned handloader who built an under bench platform for his Forester coax press with an approximately 60 degree angle that turned the press towards him. As it was situated, it was low enough to position the factory handle within easy reach when seated at normal height.

https://youtu.be/z6B_qA85HFw?si=20lFOPGidaMzq4ue

Best regards

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 05-10-2024 at 08:09 PM.

Someone please define "over-centering" for me?
    Tony

Boolit Grand Master

How heavy are your bench legs? Could you possibly bolt a block on the leg and mount it down lower. A boxed in angle plate type set up on the leg possibly. Done right it could be adjustable to determine the height thats right for you. But your also going to be lowering the shell holder so finding a happy medium may be tricky.

I've been a COAX user for over 55 years. The older "Brown" painted press. I now have two of them. I could not count the number of rounds loaded over the decades using these presses. The loaded rounds are very accurate due to the floating dies self aligning to the case being reloaded. Run-out of the seated bullet shows very little misalignment.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
    Someone please define "over-centering" for me?
    Tony
    You feel the handle pressure drop off slightly as the handle finishes its down stroke.

Three44s

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    How heavy are your bench legs? Could you possibly bolt a block on the leg and mount it down lower. A boxed in angle plate type set up on the leg possibly. Done right it could be adjustable to determine the height thats right for you. But your also going to be lowering the shell holder so finding a happy medium may be tricky.
    My bench is actually an all steel framed table and it's built Iike a "tank". The legs are more than up to the task but the frame is massive.

I could mount about anything to it. Make it vertically adjustable as well as rotatable.

I have been thinking about it since I saw the vid in the link in my previous post.

Mark

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapidrob View Post
    I've been a COAX user for over 55 years. The older "Brown" painted press. I now have two of them. I could not count the number of rounds loaded over the decades using these presses. The loaded rounds are very accurate due to the floating dies self aligning to the case being reloaded. Run-out of the seated bullet shows very little misalignment.
    Music to my ears! My bread and butter loading is for varmint hunting. I do all sorts of cartridges but varmints are number one!

Three44s

Boolit Buddy
    Here is how I have mine mounted and it works for me. I can pull up a full size chair or just a stool, having it this way I can sit to the left, center, or right of the press.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20240510_205008997~2.jpg   IMG_20240510_205147579~2.jpg   IMG_20240510_205228740~2.jpg  

Boolit Master
    That's very trick! Thanks for sharing!

Three44s

Boolit Buddy
    You're welcome. Obviously you could mount yours at whatever distance works for you. Not sure if you can tell, but I mount my bullet sizers the same way. The bullets drop through a hole I cut out in the table. Underneath I have a small SS pet bowl bolted to the table with one bolt which serves as a catch tray and when I need to collect my sized bullets...I simply pivot the full bowl out towards the outside of the table and scoop up my bullets, push it back in and I'm ready to go again.

Boolit Buddy
    Just a follow up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20240510_232547288~2.jpg   IMG_20240510_232418391~2.jpg   IMG_20240510_232803907~2.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Thanks again, I did not catch that earlier!

Good photography BTW.

Question: What is the bullet sizer (I guess I am dense here) as I don't recognize it?

Best regards

Three44s

Boolit Buddy
    The blue/silver one is a STAR LUBE SIZER, the red one I do not know exactly what it was used for but I modified it and turned it into a bullet sizer. I think the red one was some kind of rivet tool.

Boolit Buddy
    The blue/silver one is a STAR LUBE SIZER, the red one I do not know exactly what it was used for but I modified it and turned it into a bullet sizer. I think the red one was some kind of rivet tool.

Boolit Master
    Thanks

Three44s