WidenersLoad DataSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What should I get to get started checkering stocks?

I would say one of the most important things to have on hand if you are going to checker is a large bottle of whiskey. Brand is your choice.
    Phil

Boolit Bub
    If any of you guys run across any "Dem Barts Continental style stock and checkering oil", I would gladly buy a few ounces from you. I use this when the checkering on my nicer walnut stocks start to look "dry". I had a small jar, which probably would have lasted the rest of my life, but I recently dropped and shattered it. I have looked and looked online, but cannot find any. Have tried to contact Dem Bart's directly without any luck.

Boolit Master

Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6.5X284ever View Post
    If any of you guys run across any "Dem Barts Continental style stock and checkering oil", I would gladly buy a few ounces from you. I use this when the checkering on my nicer walnut stocks start to look "dry". I had a small jar, which probably would have lasted the rest of my life, but I recently dropped and shattered it. I have looked and looked online, but cannot find any. Have tried to contact Dem Bart's directly without any luck.
    When I had checkering to finish, I just used the same finish that was used on the rest of the rifle. It can be thinned a bit if needed. You may just need some stock wax. The Birchwood Casey stuff works well, and is pretty much the same as renaissance wax, without the big expense. Apply, and work in with an old toothbrush, or your wife's.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Man
    Does anyone know of a source for Dem Bart cutters? Everywhere that I have checked shows out of stock and have for at least three years.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bgmkithaca View Post
    Does anyone know of a source for Dem Bart cutters? Everywhere that I have checked shows out of stock and have for at least three years.
    Doesn't Steve Earl make cutters for Dem Bart tools?

Boolit Mold
    I believe that the cutters made by Ullman Precision will also fit the Dem-Bart handles, and yes Steve Earl's cutters will also fit. Brownells, in Iowa, used to sell Dem-Bart and Gun Line checkering tools and Dem-Bart is no longer listed at all, and Gun Line shows out of stock on everything. I know that several years ago when I spoke with the gent that made Gun Line tools he was getting way up in years then.
    Last edited by Clint Meier; 05-08-2024 at 12:55 PM. Reason: add info

Boolit Bub
    Thanks, but if you click on those links, none of them are actually in stock or available. I was hoping someone might have a large bottle and sell me a few oz.