MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad Data
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 158 gr cast bullets using H110 for 357 Mag

Boolit Mold

158 gr cast bullets using H110 for 357 Mag

I’m looking at using RCBS 82065, 158GR, SWC-GC bullets from Montana Bullets Works for 357 Mag loads. I had planned on using H110 because of its excellent metering and know accuracy. There was a previous posting on this: H110, 158 gn lead SWC, .357 magnum.

I was wondering if there had been subsequent thinking by others on this matter?
    Last edited by jski45; 03-29-2024 at 01:14 AM.

Boolit Master
    Using data from 2 sources seems great advice...But...far as I can tell...Lyman is Reliable...and actually Features Cast Boolits... why go to someone like Speer or Hornady, for Cast Info??

Boolit Master
    I don't really care much for H110/296. I have a can of it I've had for probably 20 years. I've used a VERY tiny amount of it. Mostly I heard the horror stories of using it with light boolits, and flame cutting top straps/destroying forcing cones. I've always used 2400 or 4227 instead. May not be much of a difference in how hard it is on revolvers. But at least in my head it isn't as hard. That said, with a 158gr SWCGC and 13.5gr of 2400 (consider this a Max Load), you have a dang stout load that shoots like a laser beam.

As for H110 loads, with that bullet, I'd probably use data for the Lyman 358156, which is also a 158gr GC design. But I would carefully work my way up from the minimum charge.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Buddy
    For loading full power .357 Magnum, H-110 is my favorite powder. Meters well. Top velocity. Top accuracy. Low ES out of a rifle. The most consistent powder I’ve found for full house .357 magnum loads. DO NOT DOWN LOAD H-110.
    Willie

Boolit Bub
    +1 for Willie.
    Lots of 296 and the old WW 680BR through my M28 S&W. Gas cutting is a done deal. High pressure makes it worse and low pressure makes your gun last longer and be boring. Some loads in Hodgdon’s manual for Lilgun that reach same velocity at lower pressure so there is that option too.
    110/296 get the hellya from me.

KB

Sent from my SM-A546U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    And...I am partial to H110... just over the start loads in 357, or 44...even good in top end 32H&R!!
    But it goes into my 410's and my 7TCU among others, just as well!! Never had any concerns staying at Book Loads!!!
    it is Only Win 748 that I am diligent with...

H110 & W296 same powder/ data.

Works with plain base cast. Reduce 3% for a starting load. Load 1 as a test. Mag primers.

Boolit Grand Master
    I shot many hundreds, maybe into the thousands of the RCBS 38-162 SWC GC over 15.7 grains of H-110 in my Rossi Lever action for Cowboy pistol caliber silhouette competition. That is the top load listed for the 358-156 in the lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 3rd edition, but actually below the start load listed in the RCBS Cast Bullet Manual No.1. It is in the middle of the load range for the 158 Hornady XTP.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    H110 is a good powder for top velocity in 357 magnum, but it does have one drawback; a muzzle flash the size of a basketball. This isn't always a bad thing because you could use it to start a campfire in a downpour, or signal to astronauts on the Moon.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 405grain View Post
    H110 is a good powder for top velocity in 357 magnum, but it does have one drawback; a muzzle flash the size of a basketball. This isn't always a bad thing because you could use it to start a campfire in a downpour, or signal to astronauts on the Moon.
    There is No Muzzle Flash, like the 7TCU loaded for Metallic Silhouette, or some of the Funner loads for the Herrett...especially the 357 Herrett. Bothers me Not a Wit!!! Kinda Fun really, and IDC if I give away my Position!!!!
    Kinda like Crying about Smokey Powders...Black Powder Smokes...all other are Lame...some close...but, No Cigar!!!

Boolit Buddy
    I have loaded H110 / W296 using the plain based version (Tom @ Accurate Molds ) of the Lyman 358156 using enough powder to touch the base of the bullet . I shoot 16.0 grs . An " old sage " told me that bit of advise enons ago and it has always worked well for me --- in my guns . As far as " flame cutting " the top strap , it was not a prpgressive thing . It only went a small amount and stopped . In my guns , the cases eject with ease using that load . I have shot it in a model 19 , 2.5" barrel and found it enjoyable , accurate . I consider 13.5 grs of 2400 powder more of a " middle of the road " kind of load . My preference is 14.5 grs or if using IMR 4227 -- 15.5 grs again using the above mentioned cast ( Lyman #2 bnh approx 15) . I cast my own , having shot 1000's of them . I ALWAYS , yes always use a magnum primer for any of the above mentioned loads and that includes 2400 . Regards Paul

H110/W296 also doesnt download well. I moved back to 2400 for my magnums. I dont miss the extra 50fps I would get with H110 & gives me more load flexability.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master

AA# 9 is another that seems to be a little more versatile than H 110 in the 357 Magnum. It too meters excellent.
    If liars pants really did catch on fire, watching the news would be a lot more fun!

That's no joke.
    This is from last weekend shooting 14.5 grains of H110 with a 158 grain j-word.
    But it's powerful and accurate, so I keep using it.

If it produces a fireball like this with a .357 mag, I have to video shooting a full case of it with a .44 mag and compare the inferno. lol

Life is a series of bullseyes and backstraps - Ted Nugent

I'm not near my manuals currently, but the loadbooks USA 357 Magnum book has the RCBS bullet's data in it, and I can check for you if it has H110/W296 powder if ya like.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2024-03-26 686 groups and Don's 30-30 008 (640x427).jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	152.5 KB 
ID:	325348Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2024-03-26 686 groups and Don's 30-30 001 (640x427).jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	139.1 KB 
ID:	325349 Of course these are 180 gr boolits, here are my results with the 2 powders mentioned for full tilt loads. I shot them in my 686 S&W test mule because of it's accuracy potential. I have nothing against H110/296 other than the flash and FACT that you must use Magnum primers with it. 2400 gives the better accuracy but H110 has shined in other guns but as the pics show, it is no slouch. If you hunt with H110/296, the flash is pretty blinding for a time in low light situations.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	36-160H-D.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	325350 If you want to load 158/160 gr boolits, this one from Accurate is my favorite. Very accurate in all my guns and in the event you need a boolit for a lever gun (lucky you), it feeds just fine as well.
    Last edited by murf205; 04-02-2024 at 10:11 AM.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Moderator Emeritus

jski45
    Welcome to the forum.

I just finished loading a batch of 400. Using Lee 158gr. 15.6gr W296 for my Ruger GP-100 (data came from Lyman CBHB#4)
    H110/W296 is my favorite powder for near max loads in Mag revolvers.
    Always use Mag Primers, and always apply a sturdy crimp, always double check published data sources, if using internet forum provided load data.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by jski45 View Post
    I’m looking at using RCBS 82065, 158GR, SWC-GC bullets from Montana Bullets Works for 357 Mag loads. I had planned on using H110 because of its excellent metering and know accuracy. There was a previous posting on this: H110, 158 gn lead SWC, .357 magnum.

I was wondering if there had been subsequent thinking by others on this matter?
    Your powder selection may well come down to availability and (gulp!) price. I have read several articles about Accurate Powder 11FS as a kissing cousin to H110. The FS stand for flash suppressant as I have read. I have not personally used it since I have 2400 and H110 but it might be worth a try if you need to. I have seen it for sale more than 2400 and the price is a bit better. As far as primers go, I would call Accurate for their advice on that matter. I have had bad experiences with STD primers and H110. Hope this helps.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Mold
    I shoot the 158 grain Hi-tek coated swc from hoosier bullets in my S&W 19 over 15.2 grains of H110. It's a published load, lyman I believe.

Boolit Grand Master

Here is the data listed in the RCBS Cast Bullet Manual .
    357 Magnum - RCBS 38-158-SWC GC - sized .358"
    Tested in Ruger Security Six with 6" bbl. length
    Speer 357 Mag. cases - CCI #550 Magnum Pistol Primers

Start Load - 16.5 grs. H110 @ 1243 fps

Max. Load - 17.5 grs. H110 @ 1301 fps

This data is your RCBS bullet , tested by RCBS and should be correct as far as pressures and velocities go . They used Magnum primers for H110 loads .
    Hope this helps you out ... exact boolit data is hard to find sometimes .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast