WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traditional.40 shooters input

Traditional.40 shooters input

For those shooting traditional round balls. what grains of the holy black are you using? Are you increasing charge for longer distances?

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    You will need to work up your own load. My load in a 46" barrel won't relate to your rifle. Ball park, 50 gr. 3F.
    Find your most accurate load, learn your trajectory, and use the same load. When we see people on the range using different loads for different ranges, we know they are inexperienced.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Thanks. Shooting a green Mountain barrel in a TC Hawken This is the 1st barrel I have ever shot that does not appear to foul . Loads as easily the 1st shot thru the 20th. My other rifles depends on the barrel I swab after each shot or after the 5th and that includes a .50 green Mountain barrel. This barrel does not benefit (apparently) from swabbing. Just seems odd.

Not odd, just well made and finished. They are supposed to be like that.

This is folklore type advice… but long ago I read (somewhere)that you set the ball on a flat surface then pour the powder slowly on top of the ball- until the ball is completely covered in powder, then stop.
    Then fashion a scoop for THAT much powder.
    We tried it on a Kentucky .45 rifle and it worked- it was even on target.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    The real trick is to find the load that shoots best in your rifle then learn where to hold the sights for different distances.

Boolit Buddy
    .40 caliber = 40 grains BP.
    .50 caliber = 50 grains BP.
    Its is basic.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sandro_ventania View Post
    .40 caliber = 40 grains BP.
    .50 caliber = 50 grains BP.
    Its is basic.
    and that's starting loads
    Last edited by SSGOldfart; 05-12-2024 at 07:52 PM. Reason: small keybroad large fingers
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Quote Originally Posted by 1Hawkeye View Post
    The real trick is to find the load that shoots best in your rifle then learn where to hold the sights for different distances.
    True. Might help to have eyes about 40 years younger lol

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    Not odd, just well made and finished. They are supposed to be like that.
    most of em are if ya load em right
    ita all about the patch lube !!!!!!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockingkj View Post
    Thanks. Shooting a green Mountain barrel in a TC Hawken This is the 1st barrel I have ever shot that does not appear to foul . Loads as easily the 1st shot thru the 20th. My other rifles depends on the barrel I swab after each shot or after the 5th and that includes a .50 green Mountain barrel. This barrel does not benefit (apparently) from swabbing. Just seems odd.
    I been shooting competition since 1990
    first shot (foulng shot) is a proper load into the berm then ten for the money (no swabbing) or some of the matches are thirteen ten to count - if you cant do that without swabbing between shots ya havent figured out the best lube and loading system ........................get this sorted and ya can shoot till ya get sick of it without swabbing. It aint hard.

hunting is different - there ya want to KNOW that first shot (cold clean barrel) goes dead on after a decent tramp in the woods, then dont clean it, and where do the next two or maybe three go ? fouled out at no 5 ? who cares bambi is long gone, and anybody with a place to hide is disappeared. Clean your gun and start again.

Depends on the twist. I had one that liked 65gr. Of goex 3f.

I've shot two Green Mountain .40 bore round ball barrels, 28" and 38" in length.
    Different as night and day.

Boolit Master
    A friend of mine owned a .40 with a GM barrel, while I had a .45 ball shooter. I used 70 grs FFFg in my rifle and he used 60 grs FFFg in his .40. Both shot comparably and would stay on a playing card at 100 yds if we did our part. Only advantage I saw was that he used a little less lead, but I suspect they killed about equally. Both rifles had 42" barrels.

Thanks to everyone for their input. More work needed but shot a fairly decent 100 yard offhand target using 50gr. Only two weeks to Red White and Blue Rendezvous(memorial weekend at Cairo NE) so running out of time to get it perfect. Think I will run with that and have fun. Lure the boys into a false sense of security and lower the boom at State in September. ( in my dreams) lol.

Boolit Master
    I have a 40 cal Sharon barrel that is 42 in. long with what I think is a 1-72 twist. I use a 38 spcl case of 3f, around 28 grains when I used to squirrel hunt. 40 grains of 3f was my target load, went up and down a some and made no difference. When I hunted deer I used 60 grains of 3f. Set the sights with the squirrel load as that was the smallest target.

Boolit Buddy

My 40cal Tennessee which has a 42” Getz barrel, likes 50grs of 3f goex. It shoots like a lazer and very accurate.
    Ore'mus
    Flintlocks Rock!

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Muzzleloaders View Post
    From 15 yards off a bench, try three round groups of 30, 35, 40, and 45 grains to see how they group. Want to work up a hunting load, same process with more powder.
    I start at 25yrds to get on paper. Too see how well a load performs I go to at least 50yards, 100 is preferable off the bench. I like 50 cause I can still see the open sights pretty well, 100 hard to be precise in hold with my eyes

Boolit Grand Master

My Tennessee Mountain rifle has a 40" Rice barrel and loves 55 grs. 3F GOEX.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

From what I have shot the .40 so far it the beginning of a beautiful relationship. Hard to decide which rifle to take to the dance. Have antique to modern .36 to .58’s love em all equally. Does that make me a bigimist? lol