Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: You can't tell know it alls anything...they are always right

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    you have taken my statements out of context.
    Obturation can be achieved still with hard casts.... and just has to be experimented with to know where it stops.

Just trying to figure out where you're coming from, that's all.
    Last edited by castmiester; 03-11-2024 at 10:29 AM.

Moderator Emeritus

My comment from this thread, was specific to the OP and the load his friend wants to use...a Max load...and not your your concern of gas cutting. Generally, we boolit casters like to follow the suggestions in the manuals about working up a load, from starting load. Then were are likely to find what is the most accurate load for that combination of powder/gun/boolit. Now When someone starts at Max, there is likely to be accuracy problems, and maybe a safety problem, that's why most of the comments where pointing that out. BUT, the powder the Friend want's to use, is the type of powder that is known to deliver the best accuracy at full (near Max) loads. So, I felt it necessary to point that out, and for best accuracy at Max loads, a GC and hard alloy tend to better achieve that at the SAAMI Max pressure of 44Mag. There is no mention of concerns of lead fouling or gas cutting or obturation...and since most reloaders are less concerned with those details, and more so with accuracy, that is the context.
    Your thread, which my other comments were pulled from, was answering your topic of soft alloy boolits and your concern of gas cutting...there was no mention of desired accuracy or if you've investigated proper boolit fit, Due to what is typical with 44 mag guns (being notoriously oversized), I had to assume your boolit was undersized, which is so often typical with new cast boolit reloaders making 44 mag ammo, so I responded >
    Gas cutting happens when there isn't enough pressure to obturate the boolit
    then you asked what prevents gas cutting, I responded
    boolit fit prevents cutting
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Mold
    It's hard to teach anyone something when they already know everything.