Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Quickload thread

Quote Originally Posted by 9w1911 View Post
    Pm me if anyone has mac versions for any of this software
    I use WineBottler to run QuickLoad in Mac. "WineBottler packages Windows-based programs snugly into Mac app-bundles."

It works and it's free.

Long time no activity in this thread..

It is indeed a great program.. Maybe sometimes I'm asking too much but I was thinking since I'm using it for all action types I have .. how can you get a good estimate for bullet speed and pressures when you use the same load in both

- a bolt action rifle
    - a semiautomatic rifle

Once you have entered all your weapon info, barrel data and all and you create a a load for said weapon configuration. Let's assume, both are .308 Win, same load, same bullet (sized to same dia.), same barrel length and diameter. One uses the gas to cycle the action, one doesn't.

Would you use the feature for calculating long barrel friction? Under normal circumstances, when would you activate this setting anyway. 26" and up? Manual says nothing about it.
    Has someone did this experiment already and chrono'd the loads? Maybe found some pointers?

Expat
    E Svizzeri sono armatissimi e liberissimi.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCY...7s-n6LwwJNbPGg

Boolit Buddy

Good question. I don't know the answer, but I will be following your thread to find out if anybody comes up with an answer.
    Gary

Takeoffs are optional, landings are manditory.

Boolit Master

I've been following this thread forever. (!)...

I am just about ready to purchase the program...

Does it run from the disc? And can it be installed on several computers?

Thanks...BCB

Boolit Master

Don't wait any longer. Just do it. You will wonder why it took so long to make up your mind.

As with any software, there is a learning curve. READ THE INSTRUCTION MANUAL and then read it again. If you get stuck on a problem, someone on this forum can most likely help.

The package that you receive will contain an installation disk. Insert the installation disk into your computer and install the software onto your computer according to the directions.

I used the disk to install the software on my desktop and my laptop with no problems.
    Respectfully,
    Tom Myers
    Precision Shooting Software

I haven't been able to actually measure the difference between the same loads in a bolt and gas operated rifle. If you have, that would be a great empirical factor to predict how Quickload will apply to either.

What I do know is that Quickload does predict muzzle velocities very close to actual measured velocity. From that, I can presume that it is calculating Pmax accurately. I tend to load to or below 75% Pmax predicted pressures so there is plenty of safety margin. My rifle experience has been with a 20" AR in 5.56/.223 and a bolt action .308 and the predicted velocities have been very close particularly with the .308 using anything from subsonic 200g cast to full power jacketed bullets (150g @ 2700 fps) and some odd loads (100g SJ @ 3000 fps).

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Myers View Post
    Don't wait any longer. Just do it. You will wonder why it took so long to make up your mind.

As with any software, there is a learning curve. READ THE INSTRUCTION MANUAL and then read it again. If you get stuck on a problem, someone on this forum can most likely help.

The package that you receive will contain an installation disk. Insert the installation disk into your computer and install the software onto your computer according to the directions.

I used the disk to install the software on my desktop and my laptop with no problems.
    O.K. It just arrived in the mail...

Where is the Instruction Manual? Is it installed with the program?...

I just started messing with it with the 45 Colt--there is about 5 bullets listed--is that all there is? I sure hope there are more bullets than that. Not many for the 44 Magnum either. Am I missing something?...

This could prove interesting...

Thanks...BCB

Boolit Master

Just input some data for the 270 Winchester...

130 grain bullet...55 grains 4831...

Output 1776 fps with 900 ft/lbs energy...

I think we have a problem?...

Might not be a "user friendly" as I hoped...

BCB

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Quote Originally Posted by BCB View Post
    O.K. It just arrived in the mail...

Where is the Instruction Manual? Is it installed with the program?...

I just started messing with it with the 45 Colt--there is about 5 bullets listed--is that all there is? I sure hope there are more bullets than that. Not many for the 44 Magnum either. Am I missing something?...

This could prove interesting...

Thanks...BCB
    Pick the manufacturer of the bullet first ( speer, hornady, etc ) and then look for the right bullet
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bonz View Post
    Pick the manufacturer of the bullet first ( speer, hornady, etc ) and then look for the right bullet
    O.K. I did that and got the bullet I was looking for...

But, I am still getting crazy velocities and energies...

Any thoughts on that?...

Thanks...BCB

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    O.K. I did that and got the bullet I was looking for...

But, I am still getting crazy velocities and energies...

Any thoughts on that?...

Thanks...BCB
    Bullet depth, COL, etc. You need to validate all settings and measurements
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bonz View Post
    Bullet depth, COL, etc. You need to validate all settings and measurements
    Yep, I see that...

Plus, I had the wrong barrel length--that really matters also!!!...

Boolit Master

You can access the users guide from your computer's program menu.

Go the lower left corner of your screen and click on The Start Menu icon

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Start.jpg 
Views:	533 
Size:	2.7 KB 
ID:	123370

Then navigate down to the Quickload folder to access the various items installed on your computer.

Name:	Quickload Menu.jpg 
Views:	530 
Size:	17.8 KB 
ID:	123373

There are database files from many bullet and mold manufactures in the data files loaded with the installation.
    The users guide will explain how to access the individual files from which you can select a bullet.
    The guide will also show you how to enter your own bullet data and you can create a bullet file that lists all the bullets that you have access to or intend to use and you don't have to search through all the files to make a selection.

There is a learning curve but the User's Guide is your friend.
    Respectfully,
    Tom Myers

Boolit Master

Got it...

I drug it to my desktop along side of the other QuckLoad icons...

I entered some of the data that I have from know cartridges I have chronographed--pretty dang close the velocity I am getting over the Chrony...

The 6.8 Remington SPC is my next one to use the QuickLoad for...

I have been shooting it for about 6 months and I would like to just see what other data might be interesting...

Thanks...BCB

Boolit Master

I've been messing with it a bit using published data and some of the reloads I actually use...

With the 6.8 SPC and H322 it is showing several of the loads I am shooting as compressed--they are not. I am using my O.C.L. and it is longer than what is suggested. I plug the info in and it continues to indicate compression...

Does this program calculate the seating depth if the O.C.L. is known for a particular bullet? The program also says water capacity for this case is 34. It is actually 36 as I have measured it several times to use with and old handheld Powley Computer--it predicts very well--it is actually amazing, but very labor intesive...

I entered data from Hodgdon Manual and it is quite a bit different than the fps indicated by Hodgdon...

So far, I'm not too sure about this program...

Time will tell I suppose...

Good-luck...BCB

Boolit Master

If you edit the bullet length, case trim-to length and the cartridge OAL, the software will calculate the correct seating depth and available powder space.

You can change the cartridge case H20 capacity before calculations or enter a new cartridge case with the correct dimensions and capacity.

(Double click the images to view full size)

Name:	Edit QuickLoad.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	123428

The program is very versatile and with time and experience you can build your custom cartridge, bullet and powder databases to the point where you will be able to calculate very accurate internal ballistic values that reflect the components that YOU use.

{"So far, I'm not too sure about this program..."} Don't be too quick to form an opinion. Like I mentioned before, the learning curve is steep, but once you get everything all put together, It is can be one of your most productive reloading tools.

I have been working all afternoon on a load for a Marlin 25-20 that was relined and chambered with a match reamer. Finding a cast bullet among my molds that will fit the tight chamber was a challenge but I finally settled on Lyman's 257132

I want a load with a muzzle velocity of around 1600fps so, using the firearm, cartridge, bullet and powder databases that I have stored in Quickload, the software gave me my starting load with just a few minutes of setup and evaluation.

Name:	Edit QuickLoad Powder Calc.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	123429

Name:	QuickLoad chargeList.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	123430
    Respectfully,
    Tom Myers

Boolit Grand Master

I entered data from Hodgdon Manual and it is quite a bit different than the fps indicated by Hodgdon...

So far, I'm not too sure about this program...
    Did you enter all the data exactly like Hodgdon used? Since they don't give you everything you will only get close. The program is scary accurate and has been verified by thousands of shooters. Take the time to learn how to use it properly. Once your firearms and cast bullets are entered you can have loads for it in a few minutes. It's an extremely deep program. When you think you understand it, you will find something that you didn't know about before.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Myers View Post
    If you edit the bullet length, case trim-to length and the cartridge OAL, the software will calculate the correct seating depth and available powder space.

You can change the cartridge case H20 capacity before calculations or enter a new cartridge case with the correct dimensions and capacity.

(Double click the images to view full size)

Name:	Edit QuickLoad.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	123428

The program is very versatile and with time and experience you can build your custom cartridge, bullet and powder databases to the point where you will be able to calculate very accurate internal ballistic values that reflect the components that YOU use.

{"So far, I'm not too sure about this program..."} Don't be too quick to form an opinion. Like I mentioned before, the learning curve is steep, but once you get everything all put together, It is can be one of your most productive reloading tools.

I have been working all afternoon on a load for a Marlin 25-20 that was relined and chambered with a match reamer. Finding a cast bullet among my molds that will fit the tight chamber was a challenge but I finally settled on Lyman's 257132

I want a load with a muzzle velocity of around 1600fps so, using the firearm, cartridge, bullet and powder databases that I have stored in Quickload, the software gave me my starting load with just a few minutes of setup and evaluation.

Name:	Edit QuickLoad Powder Calc.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	123429

Name:	QuickLoad chargeList.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	123430
    Why did you choose SR-4759? Aren't there other powders that will do what you want?...

I am working with the propellent table setup and really don't know how to set the Ba values. It get crazy amounts of powders many times, but 99% of them are "dangerous-don't use" or near maximum...

Can the ones that are near maximum be lowered by a few grains, depending on powder, and used as a "starting" load to be used as a reference for using the same powder?...

Thanks...BCB

Boolit Master

Why did you choose SR-4759? Aren't there other powders that will do what you want?...

I am working with the propellent table setup and really don't know how to set the Ba values. It get crazy amounts of powders many times, but 99% of them are "dangerous-don't use" or near maximum...

Can the ones that are near maximum be lowered by a few grains, depending on powder, and used as a "starting" load to be used as a reference for using the same powder?...

Thanks...BCB
    I wanted the cleanest burning, most filling, moderate pressure powder that would give me 1600 fps.
    87.7% of powder burnt, 86.1% or 92% of powder volume and 17,682 psi fit those parameters.

Those are the 3 parameters I try to use when selecting most of my initial loadings, high volume, clean burning and low pressure.

The "IMR SR 4759 Test 1" is about 30 years old and I wanted to use that up before the "IMR SR 4759" which seems weighs out having less density than the older stuff.

Until you understand more about them, Just set the BA values at the Min. and Max. settings and ignore the dangerous selected powder charges.

If a powder you want to use and the charge results in a high pressure just go back to the main page and, in the charge panel, select that powder and keep reducing the charge grains until you have an acceptable max pressure then look in the results panel and check the muzzle velocity value and see if you can accept the lowered velocity needed to maintain a safe pressure level.

Study the Users Manual to gain more insight into the BA values.
    Respectfully,
    Tom Myers

Boolit Master

O.K. Got the BA figured out somewhat...

I have been messing with QuickTarget also...

How do I get all the units to be in "yds or in. or ft/lbs". All my distances in the trajectory graph are in meters...

Thanks...BCB
    Last edited by BCB; 12-09-2014 at 12:25 PM.