Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's your "go to" gun?

Statesville, North Carolina...too close to Charlotte

What's your "go to" gun?

We probably all have one or more. Just curious about this. List rifle, shotgun, handgun/pistol and why. I'll start...

Handgun: Ruger Single Six 22lr. My 15th birthday present. Always works, always handy and has accounted for a ton or more of small game, snakes, and critters caught on the trapline.

Shotgun: Mossberg 500 12 ga. Old and beat up just like me. With a set of clip on Firesights I can keep 5 Foster style slugs in a 10" circle at 100 yards from its modified barrel. Shoots to point of aim with anything I put in it. Just fits right.

Rifle: Marlin 336 in 30WCF. Shortened the stock several years ago in preperation of my oldest boy's first deer hunt. Tip to tip it is 36" long. Light, handy and accurate with cast or jacketed.

You got some too?
    "Ignorance is the parent of fear."-Herman Melville

Boolit Master
    Handgun- Ruger Blackhawk 45 Colt. My first centerfire handgun which I "tuned" when in my twenties about 30 years ago (damn) it shoots to point of aim.
    Shotgun- Rem 870 which was my dads, plain barrel no vent rib modified choke but killed a lot of small game. I remember when he bought it new and bitched a storm because he had to pay $100. He said he must be crazy to spend a hundred on a gun.
    Rifle- This is probably the hardest. I guess I'll say mt Tikka in 6.5 Swede. Only hunted with it once and never shot at game with it, but this rifle flat out shoots no matter what bullet or load I feed it.

Pistol: S&W 686 love to shoot it with 38 spl. Its my all around goto gun. It always goes to the range. I just love the round, its very cheap to shoot and accuracy...... If not the 686 it would a snub in same cal.

Shotgun: 1100 Rem. I bought it when I was just out of High School. Its a Squirrel getter.

Rifle: My goto rifle.... well, you got me there...oh geesh! I, I, I can't deside but I am toying around with the 1894 at present. In fact, I just got a Gas Check mold for it.

~ 38 Spl is Top Shelf around here.
    Sprue ™

Boolit Master
    Old S&W 29 4 " Blue loaded with RCBS 250 KTs on top of 10 grains of Unique. Takes care of anything I run into in Indiana.

My rifle of choice is an old Nylon 66 very good for rabbits and squirels.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

Boolit Grand Master

Handgun; Colt M1911 Series 70 .45 ACP or Para Ord P14.

Shotgun; Rem M100 with 26" barrel (Rem chokes) with 8 shot extension, M870 as second choice, same barrel allso with 8 shot extension.

Rifle; Rack grade M1A.

"Go to" means survival of me and my family in a SHTF scenario. Of course other more hunter friendly firearms would be along for small game getting (quietly) but the M1A is entirely capable of big game and provides maximum protection at the same time.

However, when leaving home around town I always have a handgun (Colt Combat Commander .45) with me. On non-hunting short range trips I will carry a rifle also. Most often an M1 Carbine, the M94 30-30 carbine or the FR8 7.62 "scout". My car and PU have a "dig" ruck with LBE/ammo, binos and other accouterments for a short time "survival" situation if necessary. I look at it as "insurance".

Larry Gibson

In Remembrance

Pistol: 1911 in 45 ACP
    Rifle: Tough one, but right now 257 Weatherby, but Marlin 30A in 30-30 probably more pratical.
    Shotgun: Rem. 1100 12 ga.

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    With an accumulation of more firearms than I need, but fewer than I want, I could name multiple favorites. I took the "go to" question posed in this thread to mean the last of each type that I could give up.

Rifle NRA Sporter Springfield, cal. .30/06. Always a contender in CB matches, holds point of
    impact with boring reliability, and "The .30/06 is never a mistake". Sights are Springfield
    front blade (Army width) and original Lyman 48 with flip up smaller aperture. Paraphasing
    Townsend Whelen again, "There is no difference between the best sights for hunting and
    those best for war."

Pistol Colt Woodsman Sport Model, cal. .22LR reliable, accurate, quiet, fits perfectly, and compact.

Shotgun Ithaca 37 Pump, 16 gauge. I always seem to have an Ithaca around. I have owned
    them in all three gauges, this 16 has become the favorite. With a case of sixes and
    Graf's last ever 25 rounds of #1 buckshot in 16 ga. I am content to call on it for any
    shotgun need. Even though I am the world's worst shotgun shooter, even I can hit with
    an Ithaca pump.
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Boolit Master
    Larry and Curmudg, excellent choices. A dependable 1911 is an absolute must. Ithaca 37 is exctly what I was thinking about for a shotgun, only in 12 guage. M1, M1A, or one of the 03s set up however you want it for a rifle. I kinda like the idea of a handy carbine, too. Lever 30-30 would fine and so would an M1 carbine.

How's come, there's not any 'new technology' on the list?

Boolit Buddy
    just outside Sulphur Springs in north east Texas
    My all time go to gun when some thing needs to die,is a old Win.md 12,12 ga with 30 in full choke solid rib.Made in 1929 I bought it in 1969 well used.Back when lead was king for ducks it killed a truck load.Now keep it loaded with 1.5oz of #2 over the back door.
    Handgun is S&W md 19,always handy.My ruger mini 14 now rides in my truck most of the time now.
    God is good all the time

This is going to be tough...

Pistol: I'd like to say a nice 1911, but anymore I carry my S&W 637 Airweight way more, and It's more practical in that role...

Rifle: One of my Remington 7600 pumps in 30-06. With 1.75 or 2.5x fixed Lupies they will get any hunting I need done....They shoot cast good as well.

Shotgun: My go to beater shotty is a Mosberg Silver Select O/U. It is getting pretty rough, but I have no problem using it to push down a barbwire fence or hold it up into a tree after a coon. Win 1200 or Mosberg 500/590 is a better all round gun perhaps, but I'll continue abusing my O/U for now.

Favorite all round firearm is my Remington Nylon 77. Great grandfather bought it brand new for his grandkids to shoot when they came over. Got passed down to me and It was my first real gun.

Boolit Master
    Rifle - Interarms X10 35 Whelen imp
    Because when the fun and games are over and tags need filled its what I go to.
    Magnum performance with non magnum powder consumption.
    180gn's at 3000 fps, and 250gn's at a bit over 2600 fps with less powder and recoil than a 300 mag or 338 mag with about the same balistics.
    Hand gun - Ruger old model 3 screw in 22 CCM
    Because it goes on with my pants in the morning. With loads that will completely penitrate a mooses skull it gives 1000 shots per lb of powder using 7 gn charges, and with small game loads it gives 10,000 shots per lb. powder with .7gn charges. The small game load pushing a 50gn PB boolit to about 900 fps being sub sonic is so very quiet it is a real pleasure to shoot. Cost per shot is very minimal the primer being the bulk of the cost. At $24.00 per lb. powder a .7gn charge is less than a quarter of one cent. A 50gn boolit yealds 140 per lb. lead so figure the cost at your lead price.
    Shot gun - Italian percussion cylender bore 12 gauge with slug sights.
    Because by batf rules its not a firearm but oh what it will do with powder we can make.
    Blessings
    BIC/BS

Boolit Buddy
    Handgun : Ruger O.M. 4 & 5/8" .45 Colt with either 260 gr. #454424 or #454190
    over 8.5 gr. Unique.....Either shoots to point of aim.

Shotgun: Old Stevens M-520 pump with 00 Buck

Rifle : 03-A3 reliable & accurate

Boolit Master

Wherever they hire Philosophers & Misanthropes...
    Hmmm,

Have to be the one's I always "go-to"...

My Daily Carry SP101 and my Rossi M92 .357.
    A Democrat that owns Guns is like a Vegan that owns Cats...
    C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
    Gott und Gewehr mit uns!...
    Death is only The End if you assume the Story is about You.
    1.618034 Fnord
    מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין - Daniel 5:25-28 - Got 7.62?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by sundog View Post
    Larry and Curmudg, excellent choices. A dependable 1911 is an absolute must. Ithaca 37 is exctly what I was thinking about for a shotgun, only in 12 guage. M1, M1A, or one of the 03s set up however you want it for a rifle. I kinda like the idea of a handy carbine, too. Lever 30-30 would fine and so would an M1 carbine.

How's come, there's not any 'new technology' on the list?
    "New technology"? We should remember; "new" doesn't necessaryly mean "better".

The M1911s aren't broke so no need fixin' them.

I gusess the M1100/870s have been superceded these days but they're not broke either.

The M1A? I've got a black gun" but what is cover to 5.56 is only concealment to 7.62. Besides I don't have to "keep shooting them until they go down" with 7.62 so the 20 round mags work out fine compared to 30s. I spend the time coming down out of recoil not to shoot the same target again and again but to move on to another target. The first target is already taken care of. In CQB do you really think a 130 gr Speer HP at 2900 fps needs a second shot? That is my "carry ammo" for urban SHTF. Additionally I have M80, M118 and some 165 APs loaded to 2600 fps available for other contingencies and that doesn't count hunting type SPs.

As when traveling if trouble happens it will be of short duration and my object is to break contact and engage only when necessary (at my option). The 3 rifles mentioned are sufficient for dealing with low life miscreants in that context as they are cowards and will look for easier pickin's. That is, unless I've already dealt with them. For the determined typses in the SHTF scenario refer to 1st rifle choice above.

It is my opinion that survival in either case will depend more on skill at arms than with the choice of arms and making sound tactical decisions. For example; first rule is to avoid a shootout if possible.

Larry Gibson
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 02-15-2009 at 04:47 PM.

Boolit Master

I never had much use for shotguns so I will sub a second rifle.

Handgun would be the Ruger Blackhawk in 45L.C. and the first rifle would be the Mod 92 in the same caliber. Both are light, easy to manage and are what I normally go to when I am out running fence or checking the live stock, so why should I change my habits? My second rifle instead of the shot gun would be my Springfield M1A. It would not be a carry gun but one used in the same manor as the browning BAR was in WWII, behind a covered and concealed position for those times when I was needing to take out multiple targets that have worked their way out of St Louis.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Boolit Master

There is just no way to answer this question. I'm like curmudgeon - got way more than I need but not as many as I'd like to have... My wife would assert that I've got enough to equip a battalion, which means far too many, and I shouldn't even think of getting another one...

I've ALMOST got a "go-to" gun for each general shooting situation... Which is my way of saying, I got more categories than you!

For a combat shotgun: My Benelli 121M1 (the old, 2-3/4"-only, non-rotating bolt kind)
    For a field shotgun: My inherited-from-grandpa Winchester Model 12 in 20ga. (Not because it's the perfect field shotgun - a Rem 870 is probably a better design - but because it fits me like I went to a custom stock-fitter and had it made for me. I can close my eyes and aim at the sound of bird wings and hit the dang thing about 50% of the time.) Although, I must also admit that I love the looks (but not the recoil) of the Win. 97 Trench Gun I inherited from Dad.

For a combat pistol: A Glock of some kind. I carry a 21 on duty and a 26 all the rest of the time, and a 34 with light and long magazine is my home defense pistol. For a combo field & combat pistol, I'd go to my personal favorite: the 20. I own somewhere around 30 of them now (around half of which are collectibles and don't get shot), and I can't find a better service weapon combining reliability, accuracy, simplicity, resiliency, and low expense.
    For a field handgun: My S&W 629-1 w/ 6" bbl. More for sentimental value (my first revolver and was my H.S. graduation present from my parents - over Mom's objections), as there are a half-dozen 44 revolvers in the safe, any one of which would be servicable for the mission.
    For a BBQ (show-off) handgun: My S&W F-Comp
    For a nostalgic carry gun: I have a tie between the Colt Det. Spl. (I've recently changed to a newer version in stainless - the SF-VI) and a 1930s Colt-manufactured, Argentine-contract 1911 with Ivory stocks (another good inheritance from Dad).

For a hunting rifle: Montana M1999 in 30-06 semi-custom
    For an "assault rifle": My Sig 556, although I'd prefer it was in 6.8 SPC. (I also have AKs and ARs in 223, and an AK in 7.62x39, so whatever ammo I can find, I have a reliable rifle and mags to shoot with, in case of a "Red Dawn" scenario... )
    For a "Kill Anything" rifle (combines all rifle categories): One of my M-1 Garands. My nicest one of these would be my last rifle to go out the door. (God forbid!)
    For a "fits in/looks innocuous, but fantastic killing rifle": My Marlin 1894 in 44 Magnum.

For a 22 handgun, I love the Ruger Single Six.
    For a 22 rifle, my first ever firearm would be my pick - My Marlin 39A.

Whew, I'm sweating just thinking of these being the only ones I'd have... Maybe my wife's right and I do have a problem......
    Group Buy Honcho for: 9x135 Slippery, 45x200 Target (H&G68), 45x230 Gov't Profile, 44x265 Keith

E-mail or PM me if you have one of the following commemorative Glocks you'd like to sell: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.

Boolit Buddy
    My handgun that is almost always with me is S&W 1911 .45 aluminum frame commander length barrel.Next would be a 2"1/2 model 66.
    My favorite rifle is a Springfield armory M1A .308,next is MARLIN MODEL 39.
    Never cared for shotguns,got tired of pellets in the meat.

Boolit Master
    My go-to handgun is a 1911.
    Go-to shotgun is an old Hi Standard pump 12 gage; 20" barrel, 5+1 capacity with a .25" rear aperture sight and a bright orange bead on the front. Getting on target is fast with that setup.
    Go-to rifle is an FN-FAL with a Bushnell HoloSight.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    Pistol: Colt Police Positive Special 4" 38 Spcl Light, handy and with 358429 backed with ten grains of 2400 it will handle anything either two or four legged that I am liable to encounter in this area.
    Rifle: Custom Sako 250-3000 This is my Meat maker. I have taken more deer and antelope with rifle than all others combined. It is also my most accurate cast boolit shooter.
    Shotgun: Ithica 37 20 gauge Full Choke A present from my father almost forty years ago.
    Neil

In Remebrance

Tough choice because "go to" means different things to different folks. So I'm thinking less TEOTWAWKI and more "Aw crap, here we go...".

Pistol- S+W 4" M-19- works in any all situations as long as the ammo holds out. Maybe it's not as fast to reload as a 45 or Wonder 9, but I can and have hit dog size targets (ccoyotes) at 200+ yards ( not often, but I did it). It's not horribly hard to conceal either.

Shotgun- I only have one that I own, my boy has others. Ithaca M-37 16 gauge, works for anything I'm likely to encounter. Not a combat shotty, but it'll work.

Rifle- Ooooh, tough one. Either my Swede, my '93 Mauser 7x57 or my FR-8 308. Any of the above are more "Aw crap..." and less hunting/target shooting.
    Last edited by Bret4207; 02-16-2009 at 09:24 AM.