Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: why-the-masses-fail-at-shooting-cast

Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    As a current “non caster”, I have one question. Now please don’t take this wrong, I’m being sincere. What have these “masses” failed to do? I tie my own trout flies and others buy them. We both catch trout. The differences is that they don’t sit at the table hour after hour tying flies and I do. They don’t buy expensive equipment (good hooks, vices, hackles, thread, various tools, etc) and end up with the same results. What is better about cast bullets over jacketed bullets in the end? Again, I tie flies and you guys cast bullets. So, are the flies/bullets better when we make them? I say “no”, but it’s fun to catch a trout on my own fly. It’s not a bigger trout, a better trout, or a better caught trout. It’s just a trout. How about cast bullets? Same end result? Maybe a lot of people just don’t want to put the time in with no better end result.
    Respectfully replying to your sincere comments, NSB, you are in error.

While your comments may be pertinent to yourself, and perhaps quite a number of others, they certainly are not pertinent to me at all.

Years ago, when raising four little ones with a stay-at-home Wife who sewed most of the girl's clothes, my choice was not to shoot cast boolits or not shoot cast boolits. It was to shoot cast boolits or not shoot -- at all. So, no, the end results between casting and not casting weren't the same for me.

I bought a Lee mould, a 230 gr 452, bought a Lee 10# bottom pour pot, and a Lee pan lube kit. I paid a penny a primer and figured about a penny for a Unique charge per round -- the same as shooting .22s bought on sale for $10 a brick. My shooting sessions included a 3# coffee can and a trowel. When I finished shooting, I went mining in the berm for lead, which was quite plentiful.

Now the kids are long gone and I'm retired. I saved for retirement by buying moulds, and only have one more to buy.

You may be able to buy hackles and hooks, but pray tell where I will get reasonably priced (for a retiree) projectiles for my 577/450, unless I cast them myself?

Likewise, let me know where reasonably priced projectiles for my 8mm Lebel or 7.5 x 53.5 Swiss 1889 are to be found, if I don't cast them myself. Also, where to find the projectiles needed to fit the varying barrels of Mosin Nagants?

While your statements may be true for some, you should recognize that very few things in this world are a "one size fits all" proposition. People may do silly things, but the fact needs to be faced that people often do what they need to or what is best for them. Your model simply doesn't apply to everyone's situation.

I still cast because it is cost effective. I also cast because it's the only reasonable way to come up with projectiles for what I shoot.

I don't quibble with your views as they apply to you or others; only with your trying to make your life's experiences fit my situation, which you cannot know.

Boolit Master
    I think you and NSB are saying the same thing.

The 'masses' don't reload or cast or tie flies. They buy them.

Those of us who reload and cast and tie flies do so for economic reasons and/or the pleasure it gives us. Like you, most of us started these skills because of economic reasons.

You derive pleasure from shooting obsolete guns. I like shooting bullets that I make and I like catching fish on flies that I tie. The 'masses' would walk past one of those and buy the 'black' rifle and a few boxes of ammo, or pick out a few flies from the bin and hit the water.