Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Husky chainsaws

Just found one at Lowes. Wanted a 12 inch bar and was looking for a short bar and chain for my poulan but for 125.00 I thought it was a good deal. Was used by the store, still had gas and oil in it but was on the shelf? I’m sure that was a violation of some sort. Ive used it several times and found that you don’t have to choke it after you've run it and then sat it down for a while. If you do it floods and won’t restart. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_98.jpeg 
Views:	9 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	319156
    Last edited by Baltimoreed; 10-23-2023 at 12:53 PM.

Boolit Master
    The last Husqvarna I bought had a carb out of adjustment. Had an odd screw head, ordered a set of assorted screw drivers from Amazon. They are cheap and have one to fit almost anything. I have a Stihl with the easy start, sort of odd till you get used to it.

Boolit Master
    FredBuddy - GONRA HIGHLY recommends Stihl e-z pulls / CANNED FUEL as ya get older / weaker / etc.
    >>> Don't cheep out and drive yersef nuts mixing yer own 2 stroke fuel anymore.... <<< !! !!!!
    (Dunno wot the deal is on the "canned fuel" but its clearly a Big Deal for Instant Starting, etc.
    Maybe its "Completely Synthetic" stuff? ???
    Bet you experts out there no! !!
    Hint Hint .....)
    Last edited by GONRA; 10-23-2023 at 05:49 PM.

Boolit Master
    FredBuddy - GONRA HIGHLY recommends Stihl e-z pulls / CANNED FUEL as ya get older / weaker / etc.
    >>> Don't cheep out and drive yersef nuts mixing yer own 2 sroke fuel anymore.... <<< !! !!!!

Boolit Master
    I am 73 and have been using Husqvarna for the last 25 years, currently have a 450 with 16" bar, so far, I don't have any problems starting it or mixing fuel.

Boolit Master

I have a 4375 watt max. 3500 watt constant load H.F. generator I put on a trailer pulled by lawn tractor, for use around the property I use it to run a 110 volt pole saw and chain saw. The generator starts very easy at 67 I no longer lift it on trailer but use ramps or tilt the trailer . Though small the 3500 watts constant runs the entire house when power is out and it is very quiet!
    I have a larger Coleman generator I quit using it because it is so very loud I even added a muffle with little sound reduction!

I worry about those rechargeable lithium batteries they cost more then some of the tools and there is a fire risk with them that is more then the older Ni-Cad batteries . I have a new Drill & impact Driver that has a smart charger that monitors temperature of both charging area and battery and shut off if to cold or hot for safety.

I do have a total of 5 chain saws the newest is a Husky made for sears in 2005 (though Husky will deny that) it does cut better then electric , The other I use is a McCullough 65 CC and it really cuts well . The other are quite old but will still run two are Pioneer one has a O.M.C. name on it the third is a Clinton 6 H.P. Chain saw all three of those are very heavy!
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Grand Master
    Some of the new battery saws are decent tools. Unless someone is doing a lot of cutting, they are good option. This is especially true if you need a saw to deal with a fallen tree or large limb that happens occasionally. Nice to not have any issues with fue, and starting. The low noise is another plus.

Last year I sold the Husqvarna 455. I kept the Shindaiwa 488 just in case. But for quick jobs, a cheap HF 40V Lynxx gets used the most.

I am looking at an upgraded battery saw and waiting for a good deal on one. I wish DeWalt made a twin 20V battery saw as I have a lot of their 20V tools. I do not believe their 20V saw is powerful enough for my needs and their 60V saw is over $300. By the time I add a second battery the 60V option comes to over $500.

Right now, looking for a spare battery for the Lynxx. It is a cheap saw but works not too badly.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

I have a Homelite XL super 2 that has been dependable for 42 years. 16" bar and I have worn out 2 bars and many chains.
    I upgraded to a Husqvarna saw 6 years ago - nice saw, runs faster than the Homelite, the chain oiler does not leak and it is more reliable starting.
    the Homelite runs 20:1, the Husqvarna runs 50:1, I use synthetic oil in both and run premium (zero alcohol) fuel
    I dump the fuel out of the carb and pump the button a couple of times for storage and the Husqvarna starts first pull on new fuel .
    the Homelite starts second or third pull, and it also needs fuel dumped out for storage.
    I hold the kill button and give 3 or 4 pulls to get the fuel out of the carb so the carb does not gum up.
    It seems to work well.
    I have two 117V AC electric saws, They also work well when the teeth are sharp and the rakers are set to the correct height.
    Electric can not compete with internal combustion, and battery powered gives you 20-30 minutes of careful cutting power.
    Last edited by 10x; 10-24-2023 at 12:05 PM.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Some of the new battery saws are decent tools. Unless someone is doing a lot of cutting, they are good option. This is especially true if you need a saw to deal with a fallen tree or large limb that happens occasionally. Nice to not have any issues with fue, and starting. The low noise is another plus.

Last year I sold the Husqvarna 455. I kept the Shindaiwa 488 just in case. But for quick jobs, a cheap HF 40V Lynxx gets used the most.

I am looking at an upgraded battery saw and waiting for a good deal on one. I wish DeWalt made a twin 20V battery saw as I have a lot of their 20V tools. I do not believe their 20V saw is powerful enough for my needs and their 60V saw is over $300. By the time I add a second battery the 60V option comes to over $500.

Right now, looking for a spare battery for the Lynxx. It is a cheap saw but works not too badly.
    depends on what you use it for don. if your going to cut your firewood for the year dont waste your money on any battery saw. even if you have 10 batterys i just dont know how long they would last using them that much. what there for is cutting up a tree that fell in the yard or across the road or tree trimming. like i said when i bought a second battery saw it was a 20vt dewalt because like you i already have many 20vt dewalt batterys and the dewalt saw cost less then a second battery for my stihl. its a tiny bit slower cutting then the stihl but youd have to run them side by side to notice it. battery life is better in the stihl but because it has a honking big heavy battery. like i said i have lots of dewalt batterys and just carry spares. its in a duffle bag in the back of the jeep with a dewalt 1/2" drive impact and a dewalt compressor that all use the same batterys. the stihl stays home and is used around the house. all that said the 20vt dewalt works fine for what a battery saw is good for. just bring extra batteries and not those junk clone batteries and dont bother with any batteries under 5ah

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    depends on what you use it for don. if your going to cut your firewood for the year dont waste your money on any battery saw. even if you have 10 batterys i just dont know how long they would last using them that much. what there for is cutting up a tree that fell in the yard or across the road or tree trimming. like i said when i bought a second battery saw it was a 20vt dewalt because like you i already have many 20vt dewalt batterys and the dewalt saw cost less then a second battery for my stihl. its a tiny bit slower cutting then the stihl but youd have to run them side by side to notice it. battery life is better in the stihl but because it has a honking big heavy battery. like i said i have lots of dewalt batterys and just carry spares. its in a duffle bag in the back of the jeep with a dewalt 1/2" drive impact and a dewalt compressor that all use the same batterys. the stihl stays home and is used around the house. all that said the 20vt dewalt works fine for what a battery saw is good for. just bring extra batteries and not those junk clone batteries and dont bother with any batteries under 5ah
    Lloyd,

This is what I use for putting up firewood:

https://valleeforestryequipment.com/...v=7516fd43adaa

It has a hydraulic saw and I added a log table that hold enough logs to process a face cord at a time.

Thanks for the comments on the DeWalt 20V's. I may just pull the trigger on one. It is impossible to get spare batteries for the HF saw.
    Don Verna

Don Thats how you do it, /My ole 28t Huskee with a single wedge is pretty slow. i did 2 ricks the other day and I had about 4 hours tied up just in splitting.

Boolit Master
    Well, friends, I settled on the Stihl e-z pull.
    It is amazing easy to start and pairs well with
    the canned gas I use in other equipment.
    Now I'm on the same page as GONRA !

Thanks to all for contributing your experience.

Boolit Master
    I got one of those 180's with ez pull used at a pawn shop about 10 years ago worked great every time I pulled it out till last year. pulled the carburetor and tried to rebuild it. still would not run. got a new carb for about $15 on amazon I think , put it in and started on about 2nd pull and is still going strong. its very convenient being very light, starts right up and enough power to cut stuff as long as the bar. big difference in cutting speed and power compared to the ms261, 360 or 044 but for what it is gets lots of workout and still going strong after more than 10 years. the only other work or maintainace done to the 180 is air and gas filters, changed and sharpened genuine stihl chains and flipped the bar a few times and I did have to clean out the spark arrestor screen in the muffler after it got built up with carbon deposits.
    I only use non ethanol 93 octane from farmers coop mixed with stihl oil in the orange bottle
    husky does make a saw every bit as good as stihl. big difference compared to poulan, craftsman ect. ive had a few and my experience by the time you get one started your a pulling pro.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Lloyd,

This is what I use for putting up firewood:

https://valleeforestryequipment.com/...v=7516fd43adaa

It has a hydraulic saw and I added a log table that hold enough logs to process a face cord at a time.

Thanks for the comments on the DeWalt 20V's. I may just pull the trigger on one. It is impossible to get spare batteries for the HF saw.
    my son in law has a more industrial version of those that works with his skid steer. pretty cool it about cuts and splits as fast as you load it and dumps it right in the trailer. but he sells cut and split wood. i havent burned wood in over 10 years but if i was to go back id serious look at one like yours.

Boolit Master

My buddy bought the 60V DeWalt saw when his gas saw died after Hurricane Ian. I was the with my 16" Echo gas saw and I will say the DeWalt matched it in cutting ability. We were going through 14-16 inch limbs on downed oak trees. When we got to the trunks we had to go around the trees for multiple cuts since we only had 16" bars, but it's all firewood being seasoned now. That 60V made me a believer. He also had a 20v 8" pole saw that worked flawless as well.

Boolit Master

Expect with some work the Dewalt battery adapters might be retrofitted to the HF tools ? Less than 10 bucks on the interweb - I used one to adapt the Dewalt battery to run my grandsons little John Deere battery powered tractor.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoreed View Post
    Just found one at Lowes. Wanted a 12 inch bar and was looking for a short bar and chain for my poulan but for 125.00 I thought it was a good deal. Was used by the store, still had gas and oil in it but was on the shelf? I’m sure that was a violation of some sort. Ive used it several times and found that you don’t have to choke it after you've run it and then sat it down for a while. If you do it floods and won’t restart. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_98.jpeg 
Views:	9 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	319156
    What model is that, a 135? Really good for a low cost saw. Are you happy with how it runs? Sounds like it has no problem with a hot start. Get a Husky X-Cut chain for it and you'll be impressed. Holla at me if you need any help, I've been using and repairing small engines since I was a kid.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’ve had mostly Huskies for over forty years. Hard to recall how many I had. Easy to start and they would run for years. I bought one of the first electronic models. Cut really well and was good on gas, but it was very difficult to start. Finally someone was using it to cut some firewood for me. It malfunctioned and started running really fast. I could hear it in the distance, but there was nothing I could do. It trashed the cylinder. I bought another the same size hoping they had the bugs worked out. It’s often almost impossible to start at times too. I swear if I buy another, it will be a Sthil.

On another note, my wife uses a Ryobi battery chainsaw and it’s amazing how much wood she cuts around the house for our cook stove. It seems to stay sharpened for a long time too.

Boolit Master
    I have a stihl 026 - bought over 20 years ago -
    of late been using cheap Chinese saws - they cost me about what a bar and chain for the Stihl costs - dont last - the Chinese havent figured out how to make a petrol tank that stays together - and the cheap fuel lines disintegrate and need replacing - but they start better (first pull most times) than the old Stihl ever did - similar weight - bigger engine - nice to use and the later ones come with an easy start - that can be replaced for a bit over 20 bucks - most of these come with a skinny (top to bottom) 20 inch bar - hard to keep those cutting straight but if you can get same saw with a 16 inch blade they are really good - skip tooth chain too if you can get it. Have three of these in work now, one with a tungsten chain for nasty stuff, the Stihl comes along for the ride but doesnt get a start most times anymore.

Moderator Emeritus

I have a Husqvarna 455 Rancher. Great saw except she started leaking oil real bad when it sits. Guess that is another project for the list. Never gave me any problems all these years.