RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingWideners
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: I was thinking about a .32 H&R Magnum revolver necked down to .25 caliber.

Boolit Buddy

Question I was thinking about a .32 H&R Magnum revolver necked down to .25 caliber.

A six-shot revolver with a three-inch (or even four-inch) barrel would drive either a 50-grain (up to 60-grain) .251" bullet at velocities between 1300 and 1400 fps (depending on barrel length).

This would make a great varmint cartridge and would drive a Lehigh (fluted) bullet up to 28 inches in gelatin. A hollowpoint bullet may tend to open violently and stop as does a lightweight (185-grain) .45 Super.

Would anyone care to see such an experimental cartridge developed?

Inquiring minds would like to know.
    "Faster than a speeding insult, more powerful than an ulterior motive, able to leap to conclusions in a single bound... it's Captain Obvious!
    "Living well is the best revenge" - George Herbert.
    "Fast is fine, but accuracy is final". - Wyatt Earp

Boolit Grand Master
    It would be an interesting cartridge, however I think it would do better in a fixed barrel than in a revolver. Just about everything I have read says that bottlenecked cases aren't that easy to use in a revolving cylinder.

NAA (IIRC) did something very similar by necking down the .32 ACP to .25 caliber, although I don't remember the claimed ballistics.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Something similar was done back in the early 1960's.

Bill Ruger built the Ruger Hawkeye handgun,, and I believe Winchester built a rifle in .256 Winchester magnum. It was basically a .357 mag case, necked to 25 caliber,, and factory loads used a 60 grn bullet. But it was a single-shot on a revolver frame.

It was a marketing failure,, and those guns are now collectable. T/C also built barrels for that caliber.

But it is an excellent varmint caliber,, albeit using a bit more barrel than 3"-4". I have a shooter Hawkeye,, and I make my own brass. I load a 60 grn Hornady bullet,, and small game had best run & hide if I break it out.

So,, to answer your questions,, in general,, it's already been done somewhat. But the general market most likely wouldn't buy it. Getting a big maker to build it or make ammo etc,, won't likely happen.
    Plus,, you have issues with a bottleneck case in a revolver cylinder. It's been done with limited successes.

Boolit Master

17hmr runs fine in a revolver.

I have a .30-30 revolver..still no problems past the recoil and flash...

Boolit Grand Master
    Your round would be similar to the 25-20 Winchester. Maybe take a bit of taper off the case, kind of like the 218 Mashburn Bee is, might alleviate case setback. I would be concerned about muzzle blast with a short barrel.

Boolit Buddy
    "and I believe Winchester built a rifle in .256 Winchester magnum"
    I believe you are thinking about the Marlin 62 Levermatic. Chambered in 30 Carbine and 256 Mag and promised in 22 Jet but I don't think they ever released these. Now quite rare and bring high prices.

Boolit Buddy
    I remember the 357/44 Bain & Davis. When it came to the heavier loads, the problem with setback was pronounced. Perhaps a strong .32 S&W Long case (a .32 H&R Magnum trimmed to the length of a .32 S&W Long, then necked down to .251" .dia) would be a better option.

The .25 NAA was/is a good idea, but a rimmed cartridge for a revolver seems to work better. Driving a .251" projectile at higher velocities still generates less recoil while retaining accuracy would make for a nice revolver cartridge in an "I" frame-sized revolver (six-round capacity).

Placing the shots would be far easier while assuring penetration. If one desired fancy hollowpoint ammunition, there are plenty of 35-grain Hornady pills that could be loaded in it. I still think that a fluted Lehigh projectile would make a better option.

The revolver would be a great pest eradicator at considerable ranges. With a 4"-6" barrel, jacketed bullets would really get up and scoot.
    "Faster than a speeding insult, more powerful than an ulterior motive, able to leap to conclusions in a single bound... it's Captain Obvious!

Boolit Grand Master
    Anybody have any idea what kind of velocity a plain old .25 ACP will give from a 4 or 6 inch barrel? I'm betting it won't be 13 or 1400 fps, but 1100 might be possible.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master
    Ballistics by the inch showed 983 fps for a Winchester 50 grain in a 6" barrel, 942 for a 4 inch. Which is mildly interesting, given that there have been a handful of 4 inch 25 autos made over the years, and that would give nearly a 200 FPS boost over the 780 fps they reported for a 2 inch barrel. That should get you well into 32 acp country, maybe even 380 terrain, energy wise...

Colt reportedly made a couple of 25-20 revolvers on the Official Police frame back in the 30's, but they were never marketed do to problems with cylinder binding. S&W made the 22 Jet, which had a lot of issues with setback. I have read that there were a few "K-Jets" made, with the case blown out to make a less tapered cartridge to reduce this problem, but that sort of went away with the 60's.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    17hmr runs fine in a revolver.

I have a .30-30 revolver..still no problems past the recoil and flash...
    A30-30 revolver? Really? What might that be?
    Facta non verba

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    Ballistics by the inch showed 983 fps for a Winchester 50 grain in a 6" barrel, 942 for a 4 inch. Which is mildly interesting, given that there have been a handful of 4 inch 25 autos made over the years, and that would give nearly a 200 FPS boost over the 780 fps they reported for a 2 inch barrel. That should get you well into 32 acp country, maybe even 380 terrain, energy wise...

Colt reportedly made a couple of 25-20 revolvers on the Official Police frame back in the 30's, but they were never marketed do to problems with cylinder binding. S&W made the 22 Jet, which had a lot of issues with setback. I have read that there were a few "K-Jets" made, with the case blown out to make a less tapered cartridge to reduce this problem, but that sort of went away with the 60's.
    I think that a .25 'rimmed' (revolver type) cartridge the length of a .32 S&W Long might make a good seven shot "I" frame revolver.

Boolit Master

Using .327 brass it's an interesting idea , which I envision as a mini .357 Herrett profile. I'm thinking 8-10" Contender barrel though. The advantage it has over some other cartridges mentioned is that brass is available.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    Look at BFR revolvers

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    It's a magnum research BFR revolver. i have one in .45-70 as well. large single action revolvers...

Boolit Grand Master

I would rather have one based on a 357 magnum or even a 41 magnum case , for some additional case volume and that would allow the use of heavier boolits ... like Lyman #257420 - 65 grs. and Lyman #257312 - 89 grs. and NOE has several 25 cal moulds from 63 grs. to 122 grs to choose from .
    I would like some extra powder capacity to shoot the heavy boolits .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus

I know of at least one Ruger single six magnum that was rechambered to 30 Badger. Plenty of data here if you search for it in a contender. 38 brass ran into a 30 Mauser die. With a 22" bbl you can get 2000 + fps with a 125 gr cast bullet. No velocity on the shorter bbl but I understand it is a grouse killer.

Trying to find a 25 caliber pistol bbl is problematic. Rechambering a 22 and a rebore still leaves you with the firing pin dilemma. You can swap hammers on a Smith. Rechambering a 32 single six in 32 Mag is a cinch with a reamer for your cylinders.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze