RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: We set a record today!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    The "Heat Index" was only introduced in the early 1980's. Before that, most of us seasoned members remember the weather Man (No Weather Goils back then) simply telling us "It's going to be hot tomorrow".
    When I was growing up in the Washington, DC area the local weatherman has his own 'heat index' - except he titled it the 'discomfort index". I thought that quite appropriate.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Moderator Emeritus

Been warmer tan typical here in SW MN... more days above 90 for it just being June. Accompanied by 60+% humidity to make it more miserable! 100 and 20%? I will take it any day vs 90 and 70%! Normally July/August are the hot months here. Maybe 2-3 warm days(above 80) in June(last year I ran my furnace until June 15th! Mostly morning to take the chill off) vs 16 so far this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by sigep1764 View Post
    riding the motorcycle to work feels like my wife’s hair dryer blowing in my face for 40min straight.
    That Summer, someone asked the shop head to get one of those big giant fans for the shop.

Another guy spoke up and told them, "Oh yeah, great idea,,, then we can turn this place into a convection oven".
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Been warmer tan typical here in SW MN... more days above 90 for it just being June. Accompanied by 60+% humidity to make it more miserable! 100 and 20%? I will take it any day vs 90 and 70%! Normally July/August are the hot months here. Maybe 2-3 warm days(above 80) in June(last year I ran my furnace until June 15th! Mostly morning to take the chill off) vs 16 so far this summer.
    I have built a fire in the Wood Stove every morning for the last 6 days here at the Kalispell house because it's been 36 or 37 degrees at 0530 each morning. Dang Global Warming.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    I have built a fire in the Wood Stove every morning for the last 6 days here at the Kalispell house because it's been 36 or 37 degrees at 0530 each morning. Dang Global Warming.
    I wonder if the relatively new Heat index has been the crux of the scam in this new religion.
    Last edited by deces; 06-21-2023 at 05:42 PM.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Master
    well, the South Carolina and Georgia peach crop was just about wiped out this year because of the weather but 117 degrees, yup, sounds just about right.
    but excessive weather can lead to opportunities. I remember an excessively hot spell one summer in the 90's while working in DC. DC was built on a swamp anyways so the record breaking heat plus the humidity kept all but the crazies and most hearty in front of air conditioners. My buddy insisted we go to the big mall just south of Alexandria on the hottest day, he got a $200 winter coat for $20.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by CastingFool View Post
    I guess I shouldn't complain about 82°
    I'll complain about 82°, that is supposed to be our LOW one day next week. The highs are 110° or above every day next week.

Starbits
    "Only the weak blame parents, their race, their times, lack of good fortune, or the quirks of fate. Everyone has it within his power to say, this I am today, that I shall be tomorrow. The wish, however, must be implemented by deeds." Louis L'Amour The Walking Drum

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Hit 127 back in ‘85 when my VW Vanagon burned up in Dateland, Az. Mice made a nest under my tin heatshield. I did get the mouse though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Was barely above 90 this afternoon, so at a bout 5:15 I got out and burned a brush pile. Had flames about 20 feet up for a little while. Did not get cold while it burned and I drug more limbs over to toss on the fire.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master
    We had a nice break today. Some storms blew up over the hill country last night. It's in the 70's this morning but won't last - back in the 100's this weekend.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Hard frost when I woke up in Idaho yesterday, fresh snow on the mountains on the way home. 31 this morning. No summer for the northwest this year!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

It was 58 F degrees when I woke up here in Michigan this morning , When I was a kid in Arizona I remember the thermometer outside reading 125 and it felt better then inside with the swamp cooler keeping it at 90!

Yeah it was hot but a dry heat ! Moving to Michigan was like being in the swamp cooler air 90 felt terrible mentioning humidity with that 58 degrees this morning is a fairly heavy fog.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master
    My sister lives in AZ. Yesterday, it was hot (106) but the humidity was only 7%.
    My wife is visiting in TX. About the same temp yesterday, but the humidity was 22%.
    Here, yesterday was 65 degrees, with 100% humidity (light rain).
    The West is my favorite area, but I don't know how you deal with that heat. We're planning on going back to AZ in October.

We’re going to Arizona later this week.
    To cool off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

it is only going to get hotter. and along with hotter will come more deaths. Heat kills.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Moderator Emeritus

Friend came up from TX for my annual 4th of July party. She said it was going to be great getting out of the 110 degree heat and into cool 90 degree... until she walked out of the airport and got slapped in the face by 92 and 80% humidity... like breathing under water LOL she hid in the house a lot... in the AC but she even complained there because with the AC running it is still 35% or so in here, she is used to 10% humidity!

When I visited her she said I was nuts being outside when it was 110f... I told her drink water and go for it! She is bad about hydrating... where in that kind f heat I would drink 2 gallons of water a day!

Boolit Master

ATR more people die from cold then heat .

Mary B make sure your friend takes some minerals with that water or other problems develop .

When I turned the radio on yesterday I found out the fog was really smoke from Quebec wildfires but it smells more like a TRASH fire making me wonder if the Canadians woke up and tossed Trudeau into the fire? (yes sarcasm or maybe wishful thinking)
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master

I had the pleasure of shutting all the AC units in Alabama a couple times when the heat index was around 115 to 120.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by pworley1 View Post
    They say "it's a dry heat "
    yep thats what "They Say " it's not a dry heat here, Humidity is at 99% this morning and has been higher then normal this year.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by firefly1957 View Post
    ATR more people die from cold then heat .

Mary B make sure your friend takes some minerals with that water or other problems develop .

When I turned the radio on yesterday I found out the fog was really smoke from Quebec wildfires but it smells more like a TRASH fire making me wonder if the Canadians woke up and tossed Trudeau into the fire? (yes sarcasm or maybe wishful thinking)

Back in the early 1970's there were Salt Tablets the Corpsmen would put out every day in the Chow Hall for the Marines at 29 Palms. We were encouraged to eat a couple with meals and take a few to eat throughout the day. Corpsmen would point out that it contained minerals in addition to salt.

Go forward to the 1980's when I was at OCS (Officer Candidate School) and the Navy Medical recommendations had changed. Salt Tablets and Mineral supplements were out. Admonishments and Policy was "Over Drink". While in OCS we were ordered to drink two canteens of water at Reville, a canteen a couple of times a day throughout the day, and two canteens of water at Taps. Lot's of Head calls throughout the day, and up several times at night to drain the "Over Drink".

The Ancient Romans used to pay their soldiers (partially) in Salt (the derivation of He isn't worth his salt). Flash forward today and most never think of salt; and many in the Medical Community decry it as a hazard for most of the population.

Use common sense; stay out of the direct sun during the hotter parts of the day (irregardless of location in the USofA and it's Territories), and if ones most is dry - that is a big warning indicator. Stay cool and stay safe.
    Last edited by MUSTANG; 06-28-2023 at 05:34 PM.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.