Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: ADA and Ranges

Boolit Master

ADA and Ranges

Private club, members spouse and legal dependents under 22 have access through the member. Archery/Pistol/Rifle/Trap and Skeet/5 stand/fishing lake/swimming lake and so on. We've always had few members who sometimes bring their own intellectually disabled dependents out to enjoy the outdoors - and we allow members who have physical handicaps to drive downrange/etc. for posting of targets and so on.
    Lately we have had some folks involved in adult care of individuals with intellectual disabilities not kin to 'em listing some as dependents and requesting membership, including access to the premises for the folks they care for. Some name them as "clients", not dependents . I'm assuming they get some compensation for caring for the folks. You can understand our concerns - we could become a daytime adult care facility in a heartbeat if these folks are legally dependents of the applicants and what's our liability if something happened ? Reading the ADA act even confuses lawyers - we'd always assumed as a private club we'd never run into this conundrum ! Anyone else run into this ?

Moderator Emeritus

It seems counter to your by-laws to include adults as member dependents given that such are neither spouses nor legal dependents under the age of 22. It follows that each person over the age of 22 would need their own application. My guidelines would involve that a drivers license should be required, as they are not bringing weapons on public transportation. Having a DL would mean they have shown some competence in handling equipment if not exactly firearms. Every kid in Montana or almost everyone takes a hunter safety class. At minimum if they have no DL they should be able to provide a certificate showing basic competency with a firearm.
    They may want access to the lake and fishing but they would require constant supervision by the adults. You haven't said if you have a two tier membership that doesn't involve the shooting side.
    I think the ADA ensures that you must give access if you give membership, but does not require you do give access if there are safety concerns.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Membership in my club extends to spouse and dependent children only. Guests of any age are required to pay a daily fee. By paying a fee they are considered a limited member for a day and as such are covered by the club liability insurance contract.
    These folks that want to bring adult day care clients on to your property are bringing a liability risk that is likely not covered. One bad mishap and lawsuit could very well bankrupt and be the end of your club. They are also using club amenities in the pursuance of their day care business and thus profiting from that perk. Create a limited membership program according to the guidance and terms of your insurer, add the language to your bylaws and charge them accordingly.
    Deplorable infidel

Family members only. End of discussion.

Absolutely require only members and dependents. Specific language preventing any member feom bringing a paying client onto the grounds. If they are being paid to care for someone, they need to do it in a location that is safe for everyone involved. Different than having a family member who is disabled.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

As a private club you can just say no.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master

At one point in time "Private Clubs ... ( including a Church ) were exempt from the Americans with Disabilities Act . You need to get the latest regulations , I would get mine from the State Fire Marshalls Office , and read the Exemptions closely .
    Private Clubs may still be exempt ... but who knows .
    Typically these people want to file a lawsuit and settle out of court ...
    Pay us some mony and we will go away ...
    It has nothing to do with Handicapped Accessibility ... but you may still be exempt .
    I've been retired too long and no longer have up to date ADA regulations .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"