RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: Velocity and leading

Boolit Man

Velocity and leading

Hi All,
    I just loaded up 50 .357 mag boolits to shoot in my Henry Bigboy, I used a load from Hogdon’s websight. It’s. #2 alloy, boolit sized to .358, and tumble lubed, no gas check. I loaded it with 4.5 grns of Tight Group, and according to Hogdon’s load data, it’s 1,157 fps, with 19,300 cup! This is their starting load! My only concern is at that velocity, am I running a risk of getting lead fouling in my barrel? Thanks for any info.
    Paul
    People would rather beleave a lie than the truth
    David Crockett

Boolit Grand Master

Generally no, but it is dependent on the condition of the barrels bore. I have pushed TL bullets faster but will admit I am not a big fan of it.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    What I would do is, since you have some already loaded, is I would try them. Shoot a few and check the barrel. Shoot a few more and check the barrel again till all are shot.
    That way you will know.
    Occams Razor is the correct thing in this game. Do the simple things first instead of looking for the most complicated first. It will save much worry and anxiety.
    Remember simple things first.

...tumble lubed...
    If thoroughly dried you should be more than Good2Go.

Boolit Master
    Lots of factors to consider. Actual bore diameter, gotta slug it to know for certain. Type of lube used. Whether your sizer die actually sized to the correct diameter.

In my experience fit and lube have more to do with leading than velocity below rifle velocities. Size you boolits .002" over grove diameter and use a proper lube, and you'll likely not have any more leading than can be cleaned out with a quick scrub with choreboy pads and a little oil.

Just my .02
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Grand Master

I think you will have no issues. My only concern is you might want a .359" or .360" bullet. At least my Henry big boy has a generous throat. I doubt you will get lead fouling, but you may be giving up accuracy.

Boolit Master

All I will say. I started out TL all my handgun calibers. I dealt with more leading issues that first 2 years than in the 12 years after. I use some traditional lubing, but primarily powder coating. I have almost no leading whatsoever.

Boolit Master

Provided you have correct bullet-to-bore fit and a decent lube, nothing in your post concerns me in the slightest. My primary plinker long gun is a kinda-sorta .32-20 Martini wildcat (.318 bore) pushing 150 grain tumble lubed (45/45/10) plain bases in front of 10 grains of AA#9 at about 1450 fps with zero grief. The prior load was a 130 grain conventional lubed .320" bullet - also plain base - just shy of 1600. I have no idea what the CUP's are for either load, but I called it quits on the load development workup for the lighter bullet when it got up to a 12 grain charge, which generated 1753fps and was showing seriously deformed primers. WAY too hot a load for that gun, but at no point did the barrel show signs of leading.

If what you cooked up plates your barrel, it's due to something other than load intensity.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Banner Sponsor

I have shot the Ranch Dog TL 165 in my 30-06 at around 15-1600fps when lubed with 45-45-10. I put 100 rounds through the rifle and still had a clean barrel.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanzy4200 View Post
    All I will say. I started out TL all my handgun calibers. I dealt with more leading issues that first 2 years than in the 12 years after. I use some traditional lubing, but primarily powder coating. I have almost no leading whatsoever.
    My experiences mirror this. After trying tumble lube a few times in .38 Special and .45 ACP, I gave up and moved on. I have read many threads where people have outstanding success with TL however I tried a few different methods of applying it and all were equally bad...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reddog81 View Post
    My experiences mirror this. After trying tumble lube a few times in .38 Special and .45 ACP, I gave up and moved on. I have read many threads where people have outstanding success with TL however I tried a few different methods of applying it and all were equally bad...
    The best shooting load I ever had for 38spl was the Lee TL358-158-SWC lubed with Alox over 4.0gr of Unique. 0.7" groups at 15 yards in a 4" 65 S&W. I don't use it anymore as I just really hate using Lee molds, and the Alox was always tacky to the fingers. I PC now, but I still wouldn't hesitate to shoot a PC'd version of this load. The Alox I just don't care for. Though some people used things like powdered Mica and the like to take the tackiness out.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Master

Most casters use WAY too much liquid Alox. There is also a better formula that uses 45% Johnson Paste Wax and 45% liquid Alox with 5% solvent thinner. I think it is called 45-45-5. I got a quart from our local lube vendor and it is good stuff. Dries well and not sticky.

YMMV but several people have reported serious leading issues with TG & certain lubes. It burns very hot & I believe melts the lube, lots of smoke. Proof will be in the shooting.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol