44man

I just couldn't resist the poke at fun!

Larry Gibson

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    44man

I just couldn't resist the poke at fun!

Larry Gibson
    Thank you, better to laugh then argue. I get myself in enough hot water!

Boolit Master
    I have a 686 and a 629. They are both new models with the frame lock. They both have the transfer bar system. I have not fired heavy for caliber bullets out of either one so I don't know how they will respond to that.

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Boolit Master
    I guess I just have an extra good 29-2. I've bee shooting 310gr SSK over 18gr of 2400 for years with no problem. Before I went to Alaska 2 years ago I put 100 rounds of that bullet over 21gr of 296 through the gun. I've never had any mechanical problem with the gun. If it wasn't nickle plated I would love it like a new mistress! Now it's only a wife!
    "There's a Fine Line Between Hobby and Mental Illness"!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Irascible View Post
    I guess I just have an extra good 29-2. I've bee shooting 310gr SSK over 18gr of 2400 for years with no problem. Before I went to Alaska 2 years ago I put 100 rounds of that bullet over 21gr of 296 through the gun. I've never had any mechanical problem with the gun. If it wasn't nickle plated I would love it like a new mistress! Now it's only a wife!
    They DID improve the guns and you might have the enhanced model.
    Just have to remember when the first 29's were made, heavy bullets were 240 gr.
    It is a wonderful revolver none the less. I wish I still had a few. I was hitting small targets with the S&W at 200 yd's before revolver shooters knew there WAS 200 yd's!
    I have not kept up on the new ones because I just can't afford them.

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    IMHO is you need the horsepower that a 300 grain bullet might give you in 44 magnum, you might as well step up from a medium bore to a big bore and use a 45 colt.

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

I emailed S&W back in '03 asking if it was OK to shoot 310gr bullets in my 629

they promptly answered "no, only up to 240gr"

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Grand Master
    The Model 29/629 series revolvers are at their best with the 240 grain boolits AND run at 1000-1200 FPS. After that point, it's Redhawk time for me. Just like K-frame 357s and 158 grain boolits......1200 FPS is near their upper limit, after that it's time for an L-frame or GP-100.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

The Mod. 29 is a fine revolver and IMHO has met every expectation I have ever had for it. I've hunted with 29's for over 35 years and had much success with them... I've often been amazed at the criticisms of this fine revolver. I have many other N frames in other calibers and I'm equally pleased with them.

I've always used boolits no larger the 250 gr and I taken everything but the big bears or moose with a 29. People need to be reminded the "N" frame was designed as a heavy 38/357 frame and was adapted to the 41, 44 and 45LC calibers as an after thought many, many years ago. Is it really any surprise to anyone that later designs by other manufacturers have built guns with stronger frames and are able to digest heavier bullets at higher speeds and pressures?

The 29 with 240/250 grain boolits, with reasonable loads, is capable of killing any big game animal on this continent, and doing so with authority and accuracy. From my experience, when ammo is loaded above reasonable and accurate levels for the 29 they rapidly lose control ability and accuracy in any other manufacturers 44 mag, too...

My feeling is if any load should be required in excess to what a 29 can safely handle it's time to consider an X frame... I appreciate the research and comments 44man offers. His experience has certainly convinced him there is more to a handgun that how much pressure it can stand or how heavy the frame is....

By the way, I'm still using the same Mod. 29-2 I started hunting with over 35 years ago. It's about 50% for blueing and still as tight and smooth as the day I bought it .... never a problem...

JMHO
    "Hindsight is always so much more accurate than foresight, but well considered foresight so much more valuable." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Boolit Master
    Here, try this. Might help understanding model changes and why they took place.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...g=content;col1
    Last edited by Bass Ackward; 10-24-2010 at 08:17 AM.
    Reading can provide limited education because only shooting provides YOUR answers as you tie everything together for THAT gun. The better the gun, the less you have to know / do & the more flexibility you have to achieve success.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Ackward View Post
    Here, try this. Might help understanding model changes and why they took place.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...g=content;col1
    Good read Bass!
    Whitworth was out yesterday and was shooting factory 300 gr boolits from his 29 and the cylinder rotated a few times on him. He has an older gun.
    I will always miss the 29 I bought in 1956. It seen a LOT of use with 240 and 250 gr bullets without a problem and it is probably still going strong today.
    Just treat the lady for what she is and she will live forever.

bhn22
    I couldn't get the link to open, but Taffin says the 44s were finally updated in 1990, effective with the 29-4s. There were other updates starting with 29-3, but the 29-4s had all of the updates for the magnum improvement program. This matches my experiences with a 29-2 that didn't hold up at all. Here's a link to TAFFINS article:

http://www.sixguns.com/range/SmithWesson44Mag.htm

Boolit Master
    I've had the experience with the cylinder turning backward, don't know exactly when my 29 was made I bought it used in 1975 for $250 +tax

8 3/8's Nickel, pinned barrel and recessed chambers shoots great but if I push the load over 1300 she warns me by turning backwards.

Gotta love it.

Now have a Super 14 barrel in 44 mag and mean stuff will go in that.

Watched a guy in my IPSC club remove the top 3 chambers and top strap from his Blue 8 3/8's 29. Did it during a match! Not a scratch on him.

Three weeks later he had a new one, in 75 & 76 these were 800 new and you had to fight to get one to boot, asked him how long he'd had it on order.

Told me S&W gave it to him in exchange for his original, destroyed, 29!

Guess S&W was grabbing these things to do R&D work on the "improved" 29.

Boolit Man
    Can one expect the same limitations with 41 magnum chambered Model 57's? I own a 1970's vintage 57 and I was considering having a mold made to drop a 250 grain (or heavier) Keith. So far I have been absolutely happy with 210 grain slugs as they drop deer as fast (actually faster on average) than my previously owned 44 mags, heavy 45 Colts, or 480 Ruger ever did.

Boolit Grand Master

I have an early Model 29 with 8 3/8" barrel. l scoped it early on. I mostly have shot 250 gr Keith bullets (Lyman 429421 but mostly H&G #503's). I have shot a few Lee 310 gr GC RF bullets but don't feel comfortable doing so. I have taken a number of deer with the 250 gr and it will shoot through a deer lengthwise. I took my last deer with the 310 Lee. I just wanted to do it. After I did it, I'll just use the 250 gr Keith in that revolver simply to keep it in good shape until they plant me. My practice load in the 29 is the 250 Keith with 23.0 grs of H110 with a hunting load of 24.0 grs. That will do all that I need with a .44 Magnum (frankly, in both the Smith AND the Ruger).

I have probably ten thousand 250's through my 29 and it is still just as tight as when I got it. I think 44 man has it pretty much NAILED as to their capabilities. I have GREAT affection for the Model 29. It has a wonderful trigger and all in all has done everything I expected it to do.

I have a Ruger Red Hawk. It is an really good revolver but doesn't "warm the cockles of my heart". It is my bad weather and heavy bullet revolver. The trigger, even after being worked on is only "OK". I shoot it well and would never bad mouth it - "It is what it is", but reserve my "affection" for the Model 29.

You know, as I got older, I finally came to realize that "Enough is enough"...

If I were hunting large bear or moose, then the 310 gr bullets in the Ruger would be my pick but otherwise, the 250's for me. For deer, black bear, and hogs - the 250 is "Enough"...

FWIW
    Dale53

Quote Originally Posted by Dale53 View Post
    I have an early Model 29 with 8 3/8" barrel. l scoped it early on. I mostly have shot 250 gr Keith bullets (Lyman 429421 but mostly H&G #503's). I have shot a few Lee 310 gr GC RF bullets but don't feel comfortable doing so. I have taken a number of deer with the 250 gr and it will shoot through a deer lengthwise. I took my last deer with the 310 Lee. I just wanted to do it. After I did it, I'll just use the 250 gr Keith in that revolver simply to keep it in good shape until they plant me. My practice load in the 29 is the 250 Keith with 23.0 grs of H110 with a hunting load of 24.0 grs. That will do all that I need with a .44 Magnum (frankly, in both the Smith AND the Ruger).

I have probably ten thousand 250's through my 29 and it is still just as tight as when I got it. I think 44 man has it pretty much NAILED as to their capabilities. I have GREAT affection for the Model 29. It has a wonderful trigger and all in all has done everything I expected it to do.

I have a Ruger Red Hawk. It is an really good revolver but doesn't "warm the cockles of my heart". It is my bad weather and heavy bullet revolver. The trigger, even after being worked on is only "OK". I shoot it well and would never bad mouth it - "It is what it is", but reserve my "affection" for the Model 29.

You know, as I got older, I finally came to realize that "Enough is enough"...

If I were hunting large bear or moose, then the 310 gr bullets in the Ruger would be my pick but otherwise, the 250's for me. For deer, black bear, and hogs - the 250 is "Enough"...

FWIW
    Dale53
    Amen!!!
    "Hindsight is always so much more accurate than foresight, but well considered foresight so much more valuable." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Boolit Grand Master
    +1, Dale.

I think Elmer Keith summed it up well when he said (regarding his #429421 boolit in the 44 revolver) that "1200 FPS is all you need".
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master

I can remember a local deer hunt. I thought I had plenty of my hunting load (250 Keith at 1300 fps chronographed) but when I started to grab my ammo I realized I only had my practice load ready (1200 fps). I took that. I was presented with a buck facing me at 75 yards on the other side of a large briar patch. I shot him standing and it struck within an inch of where I was aiming. It hit him in the neck in line with and just under his spine. That 1200 fps 250 gr Keith went full length of the deer and was NOT recovered. Instant kill, four feet in the air at impact (broken neck). That should have told me all I need to know. It was a nice six point buck of about 200-250 lbs (not uncommon on the corn and bean feed available around here).

Dale53

Boolit Bub
    I would think the 329pd would be showing the same problems with 240gr loads or is the cylinder latch and pin not steel?