Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: S&W with heavy boolits

Banned

S&W with heavy boolits

This is what happens with a model 29 if real heavy boolits are shot. Inertia of the cylinder lock will make it stay forward and unlock the cylinder. The hammer will also bounce against the primer when the trigger is still back causing a double strike on the primer.
    The unlocking pin in the center of the cylinder will get peened on the front and hang up in the hole so the cylinder gets hard to open.
    Even though the gun can take very high pressures, it HATES recoil.
    Last edited by 44man; 04-10-2009 at 05:40 PM.

What is real heavy boolits? I shoot Lee 310gr all the time with my 629 and have not had any issues, have never noticed the double strike and I am pretty good about looking at all my fired brass.
    Just wondering?
    Mike
    Last edited by HCL; 02-07-2009 at 03:49 PM. Reason: fix word

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    This is what happens with a model 29 if real heavy boolits are shot. Inertia of the cylinder lock will make it stay forward and unlock the cylinder. The hammer will also bounce against the transfer bar when the trigger is still back causing a double strike on the primer.
    The unlocking pin in the center of the cylinder will get peened on the front and hang up in the hole so the cylinder gets hard to open.
    Even though the gun can take very high pressures, it HATES recoil.
    My model 29s are 1970s vintage and do the same thing so I have restricted them to 240 grain bullets. I heard somewhere that later 29s were modified somehow to correct this but may be mistaken.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

Boolit Master
    Did this happen with an earlier "pre-enhancement" 29?
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

My big Smith's get to beating me too hard before the load beats them too hard. With all that excitement going on, it looks like more than heavy bullets are causing the problem.

When did S&W start using a transfer bar? I have 9 or ten of them and no Transfer bar but mine are older (pre 1980 guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    ... With all that excitement going on, it looks like more than heavy bullets are causing the problem...
    Indeed. It appears that either the cylinder latch is getting hit by a thumb, or there's a problem with the bolt/cylinder notch engagement.
    “If your only tool is a hammer, then all your problems start to look like people who need to be beaten with a hammer.”

Banned

I know i had major problems with my 396 unlocking with real heavy loads. Another problem cropped up too. I had problems keeping skin on my hands!!!

Banned

No, these are not the newer enhanced ones. This happens from 300 to 330 gr boolits with hunting loads, reduced plinking loads with heavy boolits are OK.
    Only two things need to be done to cure the problems. The guns need a heavier cylinder lock spring and the unlocking pin needs to be hardened so it does not peen.
    A few shots with one 29 peened the pin so the latch had to be hit with a dowel and hammer to open the cylinder.
    Several times the cylinder wound up back to the fired case when cocked again.
    I have heard stories of frames stretching but have never seen it myself. I have owned 7 model 29's and shot the living crap out of them without a problem. I have no idea what you have to shoot to damage a frame! I load for accuracy, not velocity, my pressures are not that high but I wanted to show what a heavy boolit can do.
    The hammer bounce is no concern because it happens so fast, the fired shell is still under the hammer.

Dan, I said it wrong, it is actually a hammer block that is down when the trigger is back letting the hammer bounce off the primer, sorry, I do that all the time, typing without thinking or having a gun here. Please don't nitpick about it! I will fix the original post. (I have Ruger syndrome!)
    I only posted because I found the empties my friend shot and what I had to do to fix the pin.
    Last edited by 44man; 02-08-2009 at 10:24 AM.

Boolit Master
    Have you tried the same heavy boolits in "enhanced" guns?
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Master
    I have had that problem with the cylinder being back on the fired case before, another reason to stay with 240s. Shooting RD 265s I could hear a distinct click right after shooting. Those loads have been confined to my Ruger SBH or the Marlin.

Marvin the Martian

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by leadeye View Post
    I have had that problem with the cylinder being back on the fired case before, another reason to stay with 240s. Shooting RD 265s I could hear a distinct click right after shooting. Those loads have been confined to my Ruger SBH or the Marlin.
    That is strange, my friend is now shooting the RD without a problem. Could it be a slight difference in the lock spring?
    I love the 29, it is a great gun, just needs a little more care. I sure wish I was able to keep a few of them but having to sell guns to buy others cuts down the collection.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Shuz View Post
    Have you tried the same heavy boolits in "enhanced" guns?
    No, I haven't. Can't afford a new one and I don't have any friends with them. I know S&W addressed the problem.
    You must remember that when the 29 came out NOBODY thought about super heavy boolits. 240 gr bullets were thought to be the heaviest for any gun. S&W never over engineered a gun and were just fine for what was available. It was and still is a wonderful revolver if you treat it right.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    That is strange, my friend is now shooting the RD without a problem. Could it be a slight difference in the lock spring?
    I love the 29, it is a great gun, just needs a little more care. I sure wish I was able to keep a few of them but having to sell guns to buy others cuts down the collection.

My favorite 29 is my 4" with Pachmayer grips shooting an RCBS 250KT over 10 grains of Unique. Sort of my all purpose outdoors gun in an old Bianchi flap holster. A buddy of mine from this forum has provided me with samples of a lot of other 44 bullets that I am looking at now so I may change to something else in the future.

Marvin the Martian

Boolit Grand Master

44man, to avoid this problem have you considered using an FA revolver?

oh I'm bad, let the fireworks begin.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

I've had the cylinder stop issue on an early 629. Strangely, I experienced my problems with 245 grain 429421 boolits and had no issue with 280 grain 429244 boolits driven much faster.

Never heard about the cylinder latch problem before.

Banned

thats what i use in them too. I shoot alot of heavy recoiling guns but never did enjoy shooting smiths with heavy loads. there to hard on my hands. The 10 grain of unique load is comfortable and kills deer bear and pigs just fine. If i want more power then that i use a ruger.
    Quote Originally Posted by leadeye View Post
    My favorite 29 is my 4" with Pachmayer grips shooting an RCBS 250KT over 10 grains of Unique. Sort of my all purpose outdoors gun in an old Bianchi flap holster. A buddy of mine from this forum has provided me with samples of a lot of other 44 bullets that I am looking at now so I may change to something else in the future.

Banned

ya 44man maybe you should buy a FA!!!!!!! [QUOTE=cbrick;490357]44man, to avoid this problem have you considered using an FA revolver?

44 Man said:
    "Dan, I said it wrong, it is actually a hammer block that is down when the trigger is back letting the hammer bounce off the primer, sorry, I do that all the time, typing without thinking or having a gun here. Please don't nitpick about it! I will fix the original post. (I have Ruger syndrome!)" end quote.

That is OK. I was not nit picking, merely asking. S&W has done so many evil things to their guns in the last few years that I thought perhaps they had added a transfer bar. Actually, the early rebound block seemed to provide all the safety one could want but who am I to say?

Banned

[quote=Lloyd Smale;490918]ya 44man maybe you should buy a FA!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post
    44man, to avoid this problem have you considered using an FA revolver?

Boolit Grand Master

Don't have no stinking "unlatching" problem with my Colt Annaconda

Larry Gibson