RepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: New Marlins from Ruger

Quote Originally Posted by anongeorge View Post
    I get a laugh out of the guys who think nothing of spending 80k on a pickup truck and then turn around and complain that a new gun costs more then the $350 they paid for something in 1983 .
    You got this so right. I seen it also. In other things also. Yes guns just keep going up no matter they are used. Go to a estate auction and you see used guns go for more then you can buy used. That is the same maker and all the same . I had a friend told me about a person went to one and there was a 22lr wheel gun for sale and the person did not what to spend the price on it and one gun said he had one and then person was willing to pay him for the same price he can get a new one.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Another Tid Bit to consider is that Pick Up Truck and/or Bass Boat will decrease in value over time. The gun won't.

Randy
    Even worse than that, look how much some folks spend on their friggin' cell phone! Those are practically worthless after a year or two.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have learned a few things over the years. People love to complain about "if only". Then when "if only" comes around, they find some excuse for not getting what they say they told others they wanted.

There is a thread on the new Henry 9mm carbine. People going ga-ga over it. But it will likely cost $850. And I suspect most of the "if only" folks think $650 is the "right price".

And you wonder why manufactures pay little heed to the stuff posted on sites like this.

What Ruger is doing is good business. There is not a large market for lever action rifles so mass producing them would be foolish. Keep the number of units down and prices up.

I suspect the new 1984's will be $1000-1100 and the new 336's $100 more. People hoping to see $800 lever guns out of Ruger are living in an alternate reality. Heck, a Sig 365 is selling for $700 with plastic parts!
    Don Verna

If they want to do the world a favor build a Marlin in a 357 Super Mag. Do not bother, that was intentional. poke, poke.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I have learned a few things over the years. People love to complain about "if only". Then when "if only" comes around, they find some excuse for not getting what they say they told others they wanted.

There is a thread on the new Henry 9mm carbine. People going ga-ga over it. But it will likely cost $850. And I suspect most of the "if only" folks think $650 is the "right price".

And you wonder why manufactures pay little heed to the stuff posted on sites like this.

What Ruger is doing is good business. There is not a large market for lever action rifles so mass producing them would be foolish. Keep the number of units down and prices up.

I suspect the new 1984's will be $1000-1100 and the new 336's $100 more. People hoping to see $800 lever guns out of Ruger are living in an alternate reality. Heck, a Sig 365 is selling for $700 with plastic parts!
    Very true! Another problem with Ruger trying to make cheapmart grade Marlins is they would still have to compete with thousands of perfectly good used ones out there. I think Remington learned this the hard way, given that back then you could still buy a really nice JM 336 for the same price or less than a new matte finish/fat stock Remlin.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy

I hope you are right, I have $1100 saved up for a new 1894 in 357!
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me I am that fool.

r80rt,
    You'll need more than that unless you're very patient on Gunbroker. There's a clean 20" CB on GB now that's still sitting after 3 rounds of auctions. $1500 with shipping. Or just keep trolling through the local gunshops and pawnshops, put ads up in the local shooting clubs/ranges etc. I predict new Ruglins will be circa the same kind of money by the time it's in hand. Bargains are out there to be had, but you really gotta' scour the internet. Or get lucky locally. KNOW when you find it, and grab it.
    A population of sheep will beget a government of wolves.

Be nice if gun folks would stop buying off gun broker at inflated prices.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gc45 View Post
    Be nice if gun folks would stop buying off gun broker at inflated prices.
    It is called capitalism. BTW, I have seen some stupid prices at gun shows and the LGS too.
    Don Verna

Boolit Bub

I put this one my wishlist this morning.

https://lockedloaded.com/product/hen...ed-walnut-10rd

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rrusse11 View Post
    r80rt,
    You'll need more than that unless you're very patient on Gunbroker. There's a clean 20" CB on GB now that's still sitting after 3 rounds of auctions. $1500 with shipping. Or just keep trolling through the local gunshops and pawnshops, put ads up in the local shooting clubs/ranges etc. I predict new Ruglins will be circa the same kind of money by the time it's in hand. Bargains are out there to be had, but you really gotta' scour the internet. Or get lucky locally. KNOW when you find it, and grab it.
    I've seen those on GB, but I don't want one. I'm waiting on the new Ruger/Marlin, I'll keep saving my pennies.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me I am that fool.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by papaglenn View Post
    I put this one my wishlist this morning.

https://lockedloaded.com/product/hen...ed-walnut-10rd
    That is a great price if they honor it. My doubt comes from the MSRP being quoted at $928.

Hope it works out fo you and you will be kind enough to give us a range report when you get it!!
    Don Verna

I don't have a problem paying big bucks for a quality gun that I enjoy and will pass down to my kid. I'm 2017 I paid over a grand for one of the last Hi-Powers made by FN, test fired November 2016. I love that pistol and it was worth every penny.

Boolit Master
    I still dont understand it. I never had a desire for a dinosaur killing gun. the old 444s will kill anything and everything it's pointed at and works very well with bullets I cast for the 44 mag. but with so many that just have to have a 45-70 I guess they won't be making any 444's anytime soon. as far as the 41mag I got a Henry bbs when they first came out for less than $700 with bud's price match guarantee and discount and I like it a bit better than the marlin. now that I'm over the fact that they could have polished it with a finer grit before blueing. I only wish Lyman would make oversized lube size dies for the 41.

To each his own. Love my Henry .45-70 with a Lyman 292 over 12.8 of Unique and plan to add a Golden Boy or Ruglin at some point.

Boolit Buddy

I agree most of this, except for the bolded. If Ruger were to non-stop crank out 357 1894s for a year, they'd sell every one easily. JMO

I am kind of waiting for a Henry X in 45/70.
    The premier dealer in my area, I think they call it Gold Dealer told me it may be 2 days, 2 weeks, 2 months or 2 years before they see them, I am on the list, but how far down, I don't know.
    There was one at the local Thiesens store for the longest time, but I said no, (stupid) I'm going to wait until I get my silencer.
    Well, I got my silencer and now I can't find the Henry X to save my soul.
    The funny thing is you can find anything you want at Gunbroker for twice the price all day long.
    If I have to go that route, I will never have it. Not that I can't afford it, but I have my principals.

Quote Originally Posted by bisleyfan41 View Post
    I agree most of this, except for the bolded. If Ruger were to non-stop crank out 357 1894s for a year, they'd sell every one easily. JMO
    Agreed. Henry has like 5 years of orders right now and people are too happy to pay the same money for a Rossi that would have bought a NIB JM Marlin just a few years ago. Lever actions are red hot right now, and most gunmakers are not set up to make them unlike AR's and poly frame auto pistols. The relatively few makers of lever actions out there have a captive market that is willing to spend.

I'm buying antique Marlins at the same price that are far better guns than this new made junk. Good Grief!

Boolit Master
    The prices on these new ones make the nicer vintage ones I see at gun shows look attractive.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"