Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remingtons 360 Buck Hammer

Boolit Buddy
    Don't think an 870 action is strong enough for the pressure. On the other hand resurrect the IMI Timberwolf.

Boolit Master

Wasn't the 307 Win a workaround for countries which disallowed "military" calibers?
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    As I recall, the .307 was basically a .308 with a rim and flat point bullet suitable for use in the 94 Big Bore. It was never available in anything but a Winchester or Marlin lever action.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    The 307 and 356 were available in the 94 AE as in angle eject. Idea was to overcome the scope mounting problems in the original 94. Both had more velocity than the 30/30 or 35 Rem and extend the range of the 94 to 200 yds or a bit more. Not sure why but they didn't catch on, or if they are even chambered anymore, and ammo is hard to find unless you reload, and most hunters don't.

Boolit Master

What I have gathered about the New Remington 360 Buck hammer.
    https://youtu.be/oVHSEfnpxTM
    Last edited by cwlongshot; 01-05-2023 at 12:53 PM.
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Grand Master

Once brass is available, I'll have an easier time forming 357 Herretts. I would have preferred to see the 375 SM resurrected.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt H View Post
    Don't think an 870 action is strong enough for the pressure. On the other hand resurrect the IMI Timberwolf.
    Yes, resurrect the Timberwolf!

IIRC, the 870 Rem was the inspiration and model for the Timberwolf. Wish I'd bought one forty years ago
    Last edited by Tim357; 01-04-2023 at 07:52 PM. Reason: add'l info

Savage made the Model 170 pump in 30-30 and .35 Rem using the same action as their .410 pump of the period. I was sorta joking about the 870….sorta.
    In my opinion, straight wall regulations are dumb. Down here, anything center fire is allowed.
    Some may consider that dumb, but it works for us!
    If I ever get to hunt in a straight wall state; my 38-55 is ready to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Savage made the Model 170 pump in 30-30 and .35 Rem using the same action as their .410 pump of the period. I was sorta joking about the 870….sorta.
    In my opinion, straight wall regulations are dumb. Down here, anything center fire is allowed.

I've got one of those 170's in 35 Rem.
    Here is about the same way now a days, 223 up.

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post

Now that I live in the southern half of MI we have the silly strait walled restrictions where the case length must be 1.8” or less so your 38-55 ( and mine ) are to long to be legal.
    Ohio started out with a list of approved strait walled cartridges for the first year when they started allowing rifles in deer gun season and if yours wasn’t listed you were SOL. Then someone decided that they should make the rifle laws the same as the pistol regulations that were in place for many years prior where any cartridge .357 or larger and the case was strait walled would be allowed.
    So from way back in the early 1980’s when OH started allowing handguns with strait walled cartridges to be legal you could have theoretically had a single shot handgun chambered in 458 Lott with a 30” barrel and it would be legal for deer gun season as they had a 5” minimum barrel length but no maximum length.
    So now it’s the same rule for rifles in OH.

Jedman

Boolit Master

As stated we can argue the ignorance of the laws but we know who writes the laws and we know they are ignorant at best to most if what they govern.

Bottom line is they feel straight wall is less powerful. Less powerful means less range/distance so "safe" like the shotgun was. But its better then a shotgun for us. These calibers are built to suite these restrictions and as many of them as possible.

CW

Boolit Master

Looks like Remington is serious about it. We'll see how long it takes Henry to get rifles out for it.

I find it interesting that Winchester basically came out with a short straight wall version of the 35 remington (even with the wrong bullet diameter) and Remington is coming out with a short straight wall version of the 35 Winchester.

Many people these days want an AR15 deer rifle (don't get me wrong I have one with a .223 and 300 BLK uppper) but I would be much more interested in 360 lever action for deer hunting in the Limited Firearms Zone here in Michigan.

Moderator Emeritus
    I think Remington is really playing catch up, and I don’t think they will ever catch up. The 350 Legend is pretty firmly entrenched in the straight wall states and has a good reputation. It should work fine in a lever action if that’s what’s wanted. If a person wants more power, the 450 Bushmaster has them covered, not to mention all the 44 Mag lever actions that work great for deer.

As for single shots, 357 Max has been around a long time and has a big following. The 38-55 and 375 Win are also straight wall choices and both are available primarily in lever actions. They don’t meet the 1.8” requirement though, if there is one. I would think both have more power than the 360 BH. Their cases can be formed from 30-30 case very easily.

I do wish that the Legend had been chambered in .358 instead of 9mm, but it doesn’t really matter other than bullet availability, which will be resolved, if it hasn’t already.
    Last edited by garandsrus; 01-05-2023 at 11:38 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Fox View Post
    It probably will end up being a BFR caliber, too. GF
    I have been asking them for a maxi BFR for years!! Then they release the 9x45!!!

CW

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    Once brass is available, I'll have an easier time forming 357 Herretts.
    That's a good thing. The 360 conversation reminded me that I need to shoot my Herrett more.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

Boolit Master

Im betting that they use a re enforced case head like seen in the 375 Winchester case.

Those ballistics are probably just a lil warmer then the ol 30-30 was designed around.

Moderator Emeritus
    You could make 360 BH from 375 Win.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Last I heard, Henry was running 24/7 and backlogged with orders for like five years so, unless they suddenly find more capacity, I doubt I will see one anytime soon.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.