MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting back into this after about 4 or 5 years. Few quick qeuestions.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by pjh421 View Post
    When you set up a powder measure, you might try writing what's in it and what its set up for on a piece of blue painter's tape with a Sharpie. Stick this on the reservoir. Keeps you out of trouble and peels off easily when you don't need it anymore.
    Yes I agree, will do and have been, going forward. I had made notes of loads I wanted to try and had a star by the one I had it set for but I wanted to verify. A lot has happened in the 2 years or probably longer since I was constantly reloading. Divoreced etc all kinds of things. So def taking lots of good notes is key thank for the tip.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by lar45 View Post
    The 45-45-10 is a great tumble lube. I prefer it over the regular Liquid Alox because it will actually dry on the bullets instead of staying soft and tacky forever.
    I have used it on conventional lube groove bullets as well as tumble lube designs and it worked well on both.
    I use a very light coat. I put a couple of handfulls of bullets in a cool whip tub, then drizzle a small amount of 45-45-10 over the top, put the lid on and swirl the bullets all around to spread the lube. The bullets should all look wet with a light tinge of brown.
    I then dump them out onto a cookie sheet lined with wax paper and set in the sun to dry.
    They should be dry to the touch in about 4 hours and ready to load the next day.
    Yes I have used it before and liked it. What I'm going to do today or this week. But just ordered PC from Eastwood looking forward to powder coating some. I have Harbor Freight Red but read a couple neg things recently figured I would start off with some good stuff.

Boolit Buddy
    Yep, 45/45/10 works great. Just don't try and put too much on at a time. I coated, sized, coated again, let dry and loaded. I pulled some out there lately I loaded in 38 special and they are dry, no sticky at all. That said, powder coat is really nice, my pistols are nearly spotless aside from powder residue. I use powder from the supplier on this site, preheat to 400 for 15-20 minutes. While checking the inside of the lead sounds good, we used to bake finishes on cars and the paint is what needs the temp to work correctly, the metal will follow.

I have been helping a friend convert his 650 to small primers and get it set up for .223 from 45. There are a considerable number of pieces to replace when doing the swap, just follow the book to the letter and it goes well. I run a single stage and a Hornady LNL with not nearly as many moving parts. Over the last few months I have become pretty good at trouble shooting the ole 650 for him which I understand shares many things in common with the 750.

As for molds - on my aluminum molds I use some of the free chop sticks we get from take out, they work really well. Get the mold hot and start working away. If your sprue plate is dragging you may want to pull it off and level it on a file or something flat like that. Then lube all the moving parts, joints and you should be fine.

Sounds like quite the ordeal you have been through. Glad you are back on the mend. So one question - whose toe?

Boolit Bub
    Yes I agree, I had notes of loads I wanted to try with a star next to the one I had the powder measure set but I wanted to verify. Keeping meter notes going forward thank you for the tip.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskerguy View Post
    Yep, 45/45/10 works great. Just don't try and put too much on at a time. I coated, sized, coated again, let dry and loaded. I pulled some out there lately I loaded in 38 special and they are dry, no sticky at all. That said, powder coat is really nice, my pistols are nearly spotless aside from powder residue. I use powder from the supplier on this site, preheat to 400 for 15-20 minutes. While checking the inside of the lead sounds good, we used to bake finishes on cars and the paint is what needs the temp to work correctly, the metal will follow.

I have been helping a friend convert his 650 to small primers and get it set up for .223 from 45. There are a considerable number of pieces to replace when doing the swap, just follow the book to the letter and it goes well. I run a single stage and a Hornady LNL with not nearly as many moving parts. Over the last few months I have become pretty good at trouble shooting the ole 650 for him which I understand shares many things in common with the 750.

As for molds - on my aluminum molds I use some of the free chop sticks we get from take out, they work really well. Get the mold hot and start working away. If your sprue plate is dragging you may want to pull it off and level it on a file or something flat like that. Then lube all the moving parts, joints and you should be fine.

Sounds like quite the ordeal you have been through. Glad you are back on the mend. So one question - whose toe?
    Lol my right Toe. Can’t imagine having someone else’s toe. Be even weirder. It’s more than I thought though, they don’t just remove the toe. They open the whole foot up and have to remove about 12 inches of nerve and blood vessel etc. guess they need the length to reattach all of it.

Banner Sponsor

Wow, what an ordeal!
    I'm glad you are on the mend and getting back into a worthy hobby.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Manns50 View Post
    Lol my right Toe. Can’t imagine having someone else’s toe. Be even weirder. It’s more than I thought though, they don’t just remove the toe. They open the whole foot up and have to remove about 12 inches of nerve and blood vessel etc. guess they need the length to reattach all of it.
    That sounds amazing and painful! How is your balance without the big toe? I have never heard of this.

Our son had tongue cancer several years ago. He was a tall, skinny kid, never smoked, chewed, or drank, didn't even like soda pop, he was a track and cross country runner. Anyway, a dentist found it and they took out half his tongue front to back. Took 12 hours and two teams, one tried off the arteries on both sides of the neck and then cut this throat from ear to ear and pulled everything out and started cutting. They took the inside of right arm - blood vessels, nerves, meat, etc and rebuilt the tongue. Another team took skin/meat from his left hip and rebuilt the inside of his right arm. My wife about jumped out of the room when we first saw all the work, it was incredible.

Glad you are doing well and getting back into the hobby among other things in life! Blessings

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskerguy View Post
    That sounds amazing and painful! How is your balance without the big toe? I have never heard of this.

Our son had tongue cancer several years ago. He was a tall, skinny kid, never smoked, chewed, or drank, didn't even like soda pop, he was a track and cross country runner. Anyway, a dentist found it and they took out half his tongue front to back. Took 12 hours and two teams, one tried off the arteries on both sides of the neck and then cut this throat from ear to ear and pulled everything out and started cutting. They took the inside of right arm - blood vessels, nerves, meat, etc and rebuilt the tongue. Another team took skin/meat from his left hip and rebuilt the inside of his right arm. My wife about jumped out of the room when we first saw all the work, it was incredible.

Glad you are doing well and getting back into the hobby among other things in life! Blessings
    Thank you sir, much appreciated. Wow I can imagine the process your son went through, and you and your wife as well! Blows my mind some of the procedures they are doing, like your son had....Ive never heard of that procedure were unaware it could be done. How is he now, no issues?

And I have no balance issues at all, really didn't right after the surgery. Doctor told me you mainly balance off the ball of your foot. Said it might affect my jump shot lol, but I haven't noticed really anything. I run and play with my son a lot, we ride atvs, trail hiking etc.
    I lost a lost of feeling in my fingers, little harder to grab certain things especially very small stuff, but you over come and adapt really quickly. My forte was auto mechanics and using my hands, woodworking or tinkering with something on my free time oddly enough. But when I didnt have a thumb for 6 months or better, I actually fixed a pinball machine. Replaced the coil and soldered the wires. Used magnets a lot to pick up something or hold it.
    But just like anyone would do, you overcome and adapt really quickly.
    Blessing to you and your family.

Boolit Buddy
    Divorce sucks. Went through that and don’t ever want to again. When I finally got over it enough to return to doing things that make me happy I discovered all kinds of things I had been working on in the loading/casting area that had just stopped. It was akin to inheriting one of your uncles’ estates and beginning to sift through it. That was 10 years ago and things are good. Glad to know you are pursuing casting, etc. in spite of things having happened to you that kill other people. You’ve got great things on your horizon coming your way. Go get ‘em!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by pjh421 View Post
    Divorce sucks. Went through that and don’t ever want to again. When I finally got over it enough to return to doing things that make me happy I discovered all kinds of things I had been working on in the loading/casting area that had just stopped. It was akin to inheriting one of your uncles’ estates and beginning to sift through it. That was 10 years ago and things are good. Glad to know you are pursuing casting, etc. in spite of things having happened to you that kill other people. You’ve got great things on your horizon coming your way. Go get ‘em!
    Thank you for the kind words, yes sir, life is too short to sweat the little things. You get a new perspective for sure. Yes I had forgotten about a couple sizer that I had bought, never used...same for a Lyman 200g mold never used. I know the feeling.