WidenersLoad DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The costs of a new caliber.

Boolit Master

Today though, the question is not "What's it gonna' cost to tool up?'. But rather, "Where in the world am I gonna' find it?"
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Entertainment value........��! That's my story and I'm sticking to it...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    My calibers are pretty vanilla, this 45 Colt is the most exotic to be truthful. .22 LR, .223, 30-30, 308,45-70, 9mm, 38, 357, 44 SPL, 44MAG, 45ACP, 20 gage,12 gage and now 45 Colt. From a practical stand point i did not need it, but this Ruger is a beautiful piece and should be a good shooter.
    A revolver being beautiful is reason enough to buy it, in my book. That’s the number 2 reason I prefer revolvers. If Kimber ever makes a .41 Mag in the likes of their K6S line (except longer barrel), I’ll bring camping outside of Cabelas the night before it hits the shelves.

I recently traded an AR15 rifle for a new 2012 Vintage Bisley Blackhawk in 45 Colt. Outfitting this with casting and loading equipment added up.

Dies. $60
    Mold. $140
    Size/lube die. $27
    Shell holder. $9
    Expander plug. $7
    And then you say to yourself I need a wad cutter, semi wad cutter, hollow point, 200 grain, 255 grain, 300 grain etc….etc… Ok, maybe I am the only one that keeps going down that rabbit with everything that I cast….but be careful..it can happen.

Moderator Emeritus

Because Midway ( was in a hurry) Mold is an RCBS cast iron 2 cav. and they are worth the money imho. Had to send a Lee 6 cav back because it dropped at .458" so i ordered the top shelf one.
    I'm kind of one who wants the very best, and have had tooooo many regrets through the years buying "bargain" stuff -- ranging from hand tools to reloading/casting gear. I really took it to heart when, in (electronic) conversation with a sage on this site advised that if he bought junk -- he's generally stuck with it. On the other hand, pretty much all hi-quality (and $$$) stuff is both very quickly sold, and if not at a break-even or profit cost to him, then a quite small cost to him for the pleasure of having and using it!
    A super-machinist at a local plant once professed that all shell-holders are not the same, but like most are made to SAAMI specs. Quite an OCD bench-rest shooter, he always professed that if one wanted an over-the-counter shell holder ONLY get RCBS as 1st choice; Redding as 2nd. Further, Al coloured the shell holder he used for loading with a Sharpie (as opposed to ones in priming tools and/or other operations) -- maintaining that this was important.
    As an added note, my friend Hughie bought a .348 Win rifle, and had me purchase a brand new bag of brass, a new mould, shell holders, and a few more sundries in this calibre so he could load for it. Quite unfortunate for Hughie a sore leg put him in hospital where four days later he passed; slightly less unfortunate for me, I still have all of these -- with nothing to use them on... BUT, had Hugh lived and gotten these from me -- I do not recall exact amount, but IIRC it was in the $150.00 USD range, if not more.
    geo
    Last edited by georgerkahn; 04-11-2022 at 09:27 AM.

I did that for a gifted 25-20 Savage Sporter. Tooled up with moulds, brass, dies, caliber conversion, etc.
    Then bought a 92 in 25-20.
    Then had to do it again with 32-20 when I bought a pristine S&W HE 4th change.
    But I will never have to buy them again.
    Shoot cheap with cast lead bullets.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I have mostly figured I'm going to , for a new caliber , need dies and at least a couple of moulds and probably a sizer .
    Adventures in 6.5 . Dad bought a 264 WM which I fully expected to have a fair amount of wear in . Naturally I went with an over sized mould spent months looking for correct brass under $2 , stupid as the 7RM was like 40¢ at the time and the difference is .007 neck dia . About 4 days after I give up and buy the 7RM work up a load for the at that moment unfired rifle I find a guy shipping 250 for $60 ...... Great now I have enough brass to shoot out the throat and sell the dies and 4x brass and break even on next to all of the shooting . See I paid the full $34 for the RCBS dies and $6 for the shell holder , then a weird thing happened I bought a Forster Bench rest neck die and it's in line seater die for pennies on the dollar when I happened into 2 sets of dies for a 6.5 possibly Japanese maybe x 257 Roberts (another train wreck of its own) also very cheap . Then I bought 3-4 2664?? Single Lyman moulds and ended up paper patching the NOE 260-120 for the WM . I had about the same money in the Lyman's as the NOE 270-140 and at that time nothing to shoot it in .

For those keeping count .........
    $110 for brass
    $ 70. for dies , yea that cheap .
    $ 50. for a 2 boxes of jackets .
    $200 for moulds .
    $ 75. for sizers , .258 ,.265 ,and .267 . 2 from Buckshot and a Lee .

The rifle has fired 33 jacketed loads . 5 for the work up , let's face it when the first group in a pencil barrel FN98 shoots 5 @ .264 at 100 and you can cover 5 holes not touching with a quarter there's not a lot of work left to do with a 26" barreled pack in rifle with 3 sets of sights mounted and a 3# trigger . 5 more to confirm the first 5 , 3 on a hunting trip to check sights , 3 on dead hogs and the balance with 16 gr Unique and the patched 260-120 .

Worth every penny . At the time blue box FC 140s were $50/20 .
    I have 60 paper patch and the remaining Win Power points loaded and on hand I think maybe it will be my son in-laws Christmas present this yr , he killed 3 hogs with it on his very first hunting trip it seems fitting .

The Type 38 Arisaka .........
    2 sets of dies 1 ea RCBS and Lyman
    1 270 WSM sizer Hornady
    1 custom bushing neck sizer with 3 bushings
    2 custom expanders
    2 custom bullet sizers at .2725 & .2728 Lee and Lyman H&I .
    Brass ........ Yeah ok brass and money don't seem to be getting together but I have about 80 correct HS and 40+ from 243 .
    I need to get a base sizer or a .460 to .450 tapered die that I can swage bases in and not have to turn the hump off. Then any 308/300 Savage family brass will do just fine for the 6.5×50SR that's closer to 6.8×51 SR ......

Just because you have dies , moulds , H&Is , push throughs , and checks for a cartridge doesn't mean it's going to be a "cheap" addition to the family enter the Rem 760 in 06' ....... The little darling has her own sizer set up , and almost forced me into a SB die , special shell holder , and a specific sizer die because who cuts a match chamber in a slide action , seriously .

On the other hand it's not as if most of us are having to start with a $400 kit to get the free die set for our first round .
    Mostly we have long since paid for those tools . At the end of the last surge I was loading pistols from 380-45 S&W and Colts and 45-70 for about $6/100 and most of the rifles for $14-16/100 for solid hunting loads and only about 31-34/100 with jacketed . When I compare that to the now $35-40 per box rifles and upwards of $40-45 per box pistols and I think about the 1,000s of 06' , 38/357 , 45 Colts , 223 ,9mm and the 100s of 45-70 and so many others in the last 25 years , I have no remorse whatsoever about the ones that took 6 moulds , 3 sizers , 3 die sets , custom tools , and hours of "why won't this thing shoot" . They are more than off set by the few that delivered everything you could want with the 2-3 die basic set that only wanted for enough neck dia to not swage the bullet .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master

Buy the same amount of factory ammo spilt in both calibers. Shoot it up and come back.

Boolit Buddy
    If you married a couple of losers in your youthful ignorance, spending almost 30 years in self-inflicted indigence you might scoff at today’s prices as you recall the wasted funds and missed opportunities of the past. Get what you’re after and enjoy it. None of us are getting any younger.

Vendor Sponsor

buy what you can. Enjoy it as much as possible for as long as possible. rinse and repeat
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!