Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The costs of a new caliber.

Boolit Master

The costs of a new caliber.

I recently traded an AR15 rifle for a new 2012 Vintage Bisley Blackhawk in 45 Colt. Outfitting this with casting and loading equipment added up.

Dies. $60
    Mold. $140
    Size/lube die. $27
    Shell holder. $9
    Expander plug. $7

In addition, i had some work to do on the revolver. Hone throats, chamfer chambers and reduce hammer pad $150. Trigger return spring $8 and some starline brass. $75

With tax and shipping I'm over $400 just to get up and running properly.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Oh, and you forgot a couple of hundred brass...

Yes, it is definitely a factor in my decision to purchase a new caliber of firearm. Especially since none of my firearms are actually working guns at this time of my life.

I had a very similar experience when I bought a .348 Win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

Boolit Master

I'm the other way around, I usually have casting/reloading equipment & components due to deals I can't pass...so firearm is my consequent cost.
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Boolit Master
    It is crazy what one can invest when adding another caliber!!
    I actually enjoy that part, researching bullets and moulds and people's experience with that firearm or caliber.
    I've been eyeing a Bisley in 480 Ruger lately, your post may have put me over the edge!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Casting and reloading 45 colt is a bargain just look at factory sales for if you can find it . Once you have the brass and tools it's just lead primer and powder .

Boolit Grand Master
    It works in reverse too.

I got rid of a bunch of "useless" (to me) calibers and freed up a lot of money that I invested in stocking components deep and cheap. BTW, one was the .45 Colt...LOL.

The .45 LC is a good old timer but I had no use for it. You will enjoy shooting it.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

I usually get a mold and set of dies first, then I feel obligated to get a rifle in that caliber to keep from wasting the money spent on the mold and dies.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

I recently decided I needed to make 1860 Enfield cartridges with Pritchett type bullets. $400+ dollars later and a couple of different molds and now I can. It’s amazing how “stuff” accumulates. Kinda snowballs and takes on a life if it’s own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

Boolit Buddy
    But think of all the money we’re saving casting our own

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    I recently traded an AR15 rifle for a new 2012 Vintage Bisley Blackhawk in 45 Colt. Outfitting this with casting and loading equipment added up.

Dies. $60
    Mold. $140
    Size/lube die. $27
    Shell holder. $9
    Expander plug. $7

In addition, i had some work to do on the revolver. Hone throats, chamfer chambers and reduce hammer pad $150. Trigger return spring $8 and some starline brass. $75

With tax and shipping I'm over $400 just to get up and running properly.
    I just looked at 45 colt ammoes prices. $1.10/rd was the cheapest I could find for cowboy LRN. Add shipping etc. to that if you want.
    400/1.10=363.63
    Load up shoot 400 rounds and your 'investment' will be recovered. After that, you'll be saving $bux$ big time. Shoot a thousand rounds, and you have saved enough to buy a new gun and start saving even more!
    Moar financial advice can be found at www.fastdadio/poorhouse.broke
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Master

My Lee experiences haven’t been perfect, but Lee equipment has helped me get started with a new caliber for less money. Paid $21 plus shipping for a 2 cavity back in January. Good for 1.5 MOA at 1800 fps out of the 7mm mag, I can’t complain too much…. Die sets come with a shell holder as well.

40-50 Sharps Bottle Neck a.k.a. Sharps 1 11/16ths. $190.00 for CH4D dies ,$155.00 for RCBS trim and form dies. $134.00 new case trimmer (Forster) as my little one wouldn’t do extra long 45-70 cases. New collet #7 $22.00 to hold 45-70 case.
    New Shiloh 1874 Military Carbine, pack hardened with a patch box., bedded, 26” round barrel , Lawrence ladder sight along with MVA various soule sights. 18 month wait for the rifle.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bimus View Post
    Casting and reloading 45 colt is a bargain just look at factory sales for if you can find it . Once you have the brass and tools it's just lead primer and powder .
    I have been alergic to the price of magnum and big bore pistol ammo for years. I would go broke shooting factory.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post
    My Lee experiences haven’t been perfect, but Lee equipment has helped me get started with a new caliber for less money. Paid $21 plus shipping for a 2 cavity back in January. Good for 1.5 MOA at 1800 fps out of the 7mm mag, I can’t complain too much…. Die sets come with a shell holder as well.
    I have had mostly good luck with Lee products.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rmark View Post
    But think of all the money we’re saving casting our own
    Certainly!

Boolit Master
    $9.00 is way too much for a shell holder. Not sure what mold you purchased but there are cheaper molds to be had that work very well. I normally get my dies for about 1/2 price used at a gun show. Starting out I generally get by cheaper. Once I decide I like a caliber I may invest more money. Since I have moved to the Pacific Northwest I have not found a gun show to shop at. Covid -19 hasn't helped.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    It works in reverse too.

I got rid of a bunch of "useless" (to me) calibers and freed up a lot of money that I invested in stocking components deep and cheap. BTW, one was the .45 Colt...LOL.

The .45 LC is a good old timer but I had no use for it. You will enjoy shooting it.
    My calibers are pretty vanilla, this 45 Colt is the most exotic to be truthful. .22 LR, .223, 30-30, 308,45-70, 9mm, 38, 357, 44 SPL, 44MAG, 45ACP, 20 gage,12 gage and now 45 Colt. From a practical stand point i did not need it, but this Ruger is a beautiful piece and should be a good shooter.

Boolit Grand Master

My two newest calibers are a 460 Rowland and a 416 Rigby. I want the 450 Rowland for my Alaska trip this summer. Brass is impossible to find currently so I was forced to spend $150.00 on a hundred rounds of high performance loaded ammo.

I did find brass and a mold for the 416 Rigby. The current average for 416 Rigby factory ammo is $160 per twenty.

It will not take me only to recoup the die, shell holder and mold cost.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckiller View Post
    $9.00 is way too much for a shell holder. Not sure what mold you purchased but there are cheaper molds to be had that work very well. I normally get my dies for about 1/2 price used at a gun show. Starting out I generally get by cheaper. Once I decide I like a caliber I may invest more money. Since I have moved to the Pacific Northwest I have not found a gun show to shop at. Covid -19 hasn't helped.
    Because Midway ( was in a hurry) Mold is an RCBS cast iron 2 cav. and they are worth the money imho. Had to send a Lee 6 cav back because it dropped at .458" so i ordered the top shelf one.