Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting with a Blunderbuss

From what I've read, the Pilgrims didn't have turkey for their thanksgiving. They had venison, and sea food as their meats. Their firearms were standard matchlock muskets, (flaired muzzles or not, I do not know) maybe about 20 of them all together, (most never fired a gun prior to their voyage, but were issued some on the voyage).

Interesting story, the Indians weren't invited at first, but crashed the party out of curiosity, (they heard shooting in the air and ''whooping'' from the Pilgrims settlement as they celebrated their harvest and survival of that first year) and were welcomed to join in the festivities to which they added to greatly.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    Hmmm.
    I wonder what the Pilgrims used to get the Turkey for the First Thanksgiving dinner ?
    Of course we can never know, but it's worth noting the only firearm known to still exist from the original pilgrims is a 50 caliber wheellock carbine/rifle. I've found no evidence a blunderbuss was among the pilgrims in Plymouth, although there's no reason they couldn't have had them.

Turkey on thanksgiving or not, if a blunderbuss was present, It would be with the guard. The ones out hunting would have a rifle or musket, I'm not even sure if any smooth bore guns could have been called fowlers then.

Boolit Master
    they have a name for guys that shoot birds on the ground, with out shooting them in flight! give them a chance!

Boolit Master
    they bartered with the INDIANS! every one knows that. well most every one? trinkets go a long way back in the day.

Boolit Master
    You are correct Toot.
    But sometimes because of the weather and terrain the Quail refuse to fly.
    But I prefer Wing Shots on everything.
    But I haven't got Cottontails to fly.

Boolit Master
    Hmmm.
    I wonder what the Pilgrims used to get the Turkey for the First Thanksgiving dinner ?
    An arrow

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by toot View Post
    they have a name for guys that shoot birds on the ground, with out shooting them in flight! give them a chance!
    Ground slucieng is a tradition in his area. The timber is so thick in this area you would never get a grouse. The fool hens are so dumb here they had to make a rule you couldn't take them with a rock or stick!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by toot View Post
    Shooting flying birds is unethical, leading to high amounts of cripples. If you can't get within range of a bird on the ground, you are a bad hunter.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Shooting flying birds is unethical, leading to high amounts of cripples. If you can't get within range of a bird on the ground, you are a bad hunter.
    In that case shouldn't you use a pellet rifle so as not to foul the air with chemical particles from the powder and priming ? Maybe a BB gun so the birds don't die of lead poisoning ?
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master

Well, LAGS, you've learned that it's unethical to shoot birds on the ground, and that it's unethical to shoot birds in the air.

With those lessons done, you need to hit the pattern board. My jug choked .62 will hold decent patterns to 20 yards, maybe a bit more.My unchoked .62 will not.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

Boolit Master
    I intend on Patterning my Blunderbuss.
    But from what I have seen so far , I really don't expect for it to do well beyond 15 yards.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Geraldo View Post
    Well, LAGS, you've learned that it's unethical to shoot birds on the ground, and that it's unethical to shoot birds in the air.

With those lessons done, you need to hit the pattern board. My jug choked .62 will hold decent patterns to 20 yards, maybe a bit more.My unchoked .62 will not.
    Interesting. My cylinder bore holds a good enough pattern to thirty yards to make kills.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    a friend of mine spent a day trying to shoot gophers with his 4 bore blunderbuss using round balls. Didn't get any gophers, but he sure plowed the field with those big balls!
    sorta like caddy shack!!!??

Boolit Master
    You are correct Toot.
    But sometimes because of the weather and terrain the Quail refuse to fly.
    But I prefer Wing Shots on everything.
    But I haven't got Cottontails to fly.
    OH NO!?well just you keep trying. lol!

Boolit Master
    I intend on Patterning my Blunderbuss.
    But from what I have seen so far , I really don't expect for it to do well beyond 15 yards.
    good luck in you're r quest!

Boolit Master
    Hmmm.
    Beads?

Boolit Bub
    Hmmm.
    The only surviving Mayflower shoulder gun is an Italian wheellock. No complete list of what they brought with them survives. That they had a blunderbuss or two cannot be ruled out. The captain, crew, and the passengers, were well armed with a variety of weapons from daggers, swords, pikes, and halberds, to handguns, shoulder arms, and cannons.
    Last edited by CTI1USNRET; 04-02-2022 at 11:02 AM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7D4D6050-070D-4811-AD1D-535B38D5C549.jpeg 
Views:	16 
Size:	129.5 KB 
ID:	298458Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0D1A0EC0-E806-4866-847D-C26436403B39.jpeg 
Views:	20 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	298459Click image for larger version. 

Name:	57230093-09EC-4A81-949E-564D2AB54A3C.jpeg 
Views:	17 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	298460

Here’s a “blunderbuss” i once built, don't under estimate a smooth bore! This 4 bore was quite accurate with a patched round ball to 50 yards and would throw a 1/4 cup of shot with the best of them! I’d have no hesitancy to hunt “Anything” with it. Range of course being the deciding factor.
    250 gr. Of 2-f was a starting load and very comfortable to shoot; maybe it’s 15 lb. Weight had something to do with that comfort.
    “Filius Tormentis” = son of a cannon!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
    One problem with hunting with a blunderbuss, is that it wasn't designed for hunting. It's a coach gun. Designed for close range defensive work. That's why there's no sights on it. Commonly loaded with heavy buck. The bell at the muzzle wasn't designed to spread shot, but to aid in fast reloads under stress such as running, galloping, or riding 'shotgun' on a coach. Also one of the earliest arms I've seen to be commonly equipped with a folding bayonet attached…...
    Interesting facts!

Quote Originally Posted by Alasgun View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7D4D6050-070D-4811-AD1D-535B38D5C549.jpeg 
Views:	16 
Size:	129.5 KB 
ID:	298458Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0D1A0EC0-E806-4866-847D-C26436403B39.jpeg 
Views:	20 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	298459Click image for larger version. 

Name:	57230093-09EC-4A81-949E-564D2AB54A3C.jpeg 
Views:	17 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	298460

Here’s a “blunderbuss” i once built, don't under estimate a smooth bore! This 4 bore was quite accurate with a patched round ball to 50 yards and would throw a 1/4 cup of shot with the best of them! I’d have no hesitancy to hunt “Anything” with it. Range of course being the deciding factor.
    250 gr. Of 2-f was a starting load and very comfortable to shoot; maybe it’s 15 lb. Weight had something to do with that comfort.
    “Filius Tormentis” = son of a cannon!
    Now that's cool! Did you use a gun barrel or seamless pipe to build that? I would like to do something similar some day.