Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Wideners Load Data

Thread: Heads up (ticking)

Banned

Heads up (ticking)

My cousin is the Manager for the craft/fabric dept. at the local WalMart. She knows I get my ticking material from there as she is the one who has to cut it when I go there. She informed me that alot of WalMarts will be not selling material any longer. Some will keep it some will not ...based on sales. I am in luck..but some of you may not be. I still went in and bought 3 yards each of 4 kinds of ticking just to be safe.

Boolit Master

This may sound crazy- but I never seen 4 kinds of ticking, and I dang sure didn't know Wally World carried it. I always got the stripe ticking (about 0.010 thick- just right for my RB) at a local fabric shop. What did you get? I'm going out that way tomorrow, and I'll stop in and probably get some.
    USMC 1980-1985

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I've been buying mine at Walmart. Only two varieties here.
    I buy large amounts, and since I do rendezvous, I dye the material different colors, make pants and shirts. Wear them until they are wore out, then use them for patching. May as well get all the good out of the material before making it into little bitty pieces.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned
    I worded that wrong. They have 4 different colors, and they all happen to be a bit different in thickness.

From Thickest to thinnest goin from memory.

So far I have been buying the Red Striped and it works well for my sidelocks, but you just never know when you are going to need another thickness so I stocked up. I have a habit of getting lots of something that works...I am sick, but I know it and that is the first step ...do not know if I will ever make the second step..whatever that may be.

Red striped
    Tan striped
    Blue striped
    Plain

Boolit Master

Ahhhhhhh, I see- thanks for enlightening me. The only ones that I've ever seen carried is the blue stripe, and the plain in some places. Blue stripe is what I've always bought. I'll have to see in my Wally World carries any of it. If so, then I'll get some (maybe of each)!
    I suspect that the way things are going in this country, we might experience shortages of some things before long, or at least find that things will be harder and harder to get when you want it. We're spoiled, ain't we?
    USMC 1980-1985

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Danville, Illinois store stopped selling fabric 2 years ago.
    Mike

Boolit Master
    357 , where do you get yours ? The Wally World here in Greenville got rid of their fabric department last year .

Keith
    Only dumb question is the one not asked

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOoA

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerUSA View Post
    357 , where do you get yours ? The Wally World here in Greenville got rid of their fabric department last year .

Keith
    Alma has a ton of fabric. Minnonite and Amish market I would think is what drives it as they are fairly abundant here and just north of Alma. I come through Greenville 4 times a week..I could pick it up for you iffin you need me to.

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    Wally's ticking at my local store is red chinese. I don't know for their culture but for American, the heavier ticking was striped blue for matress, the thinner red was for pillows. Yeah, I use wally's too of need and no American source. BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

drill works good too. it has a very tight weave and comes in different thicknesses.

TTC
    NRA life member (benefactor)

Boolit Master

The blue and red ticking i buy up here in the local walmart,is very uniformally .017 thick.

Wally World here carries a 100% American made muslin in about six or eight different flavors. Depending on what you're shooting, one is more like a non-fuzzy flannel that runs around 0.025"-0.027" (at least what I checked, I use a textile micrometer - you should see the strange looks I get... LOL) Some are more open weave but there are two very tight weave, one runs around 0.018" thick, the other 0.013" thick. I don't recall the brand name off hand but if you check the tags you'll see where it's made. Also, just a little FYI, if your local wally doesn't carry the item you want but it's available on-line or at a different store, customer service can order into your local store with no shipping charges as long as you wait for it to come via one of their trucks. You can also order some stuff shipped to your home if you choose but you have to pay the shipping on it.

Boolit Grand Master

If you go to a regular store that sells cloth for sewing or even a big craft store they have a very wide selections of cloth. Also if you go to their remnant section where they sell mistakes and ends that are to small to sell for regular stuff you can get pieces at discount prices sometimes 50% off. Personally I use old clothes like dress shirts.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Bub
    Getting involved in the prb....always liked conicals. Reading this made me nervous. The closest wally world is about a hour and half away. Being there tonight thought I'd check things out, bought myself the three flavors on their menu; red, blue and tan stripped. Are these all different thicknesses? Just curious what I bought.

Boolit Master

here in NM in the part of the state that I am in at least Wallie World hasn't had fabric for a long time. they even built a new store in the town I live in and no fabric department.
    That works out ok though as I go to Albuquerque and go into a large Joan's Fabric store and get all I want and if they don't the wife goes to SLC a lot and they have all kinds of fabric and the prices aren't to bad either.

Boolit Mold
    Just bought some blue ticking tonight. Mikes .017. The girl said that several store in Kansas are closign their fabric departments.

I got enought for a few years of shooting.

Boolit Buddy
    Almost every fabric store in the country has pillow ticking. Another thing, any all cotton fabric makes pretty good patch material. I was in a fabric store a while back and saw knitted cotton tee shirt material and bought half a yard to fool around with. Dang stuff makes the best cleaning patches ever. Good patches in my Traditions .45 &.50 Kentucky pistols, too. Wally World isn't the be-all and end-all of cheap stuff. Look around. Half the stuff I find in fabric stores I would have walked right past if I hadn't asked for help. Wood and horn buttons, 100% cotton thread, black and white all cotton button warp that you can sew with or use for fishing line, that sort of thing. One fabric store even had some prime colors of fabric dye in blocks. You can use it for paint or dye. Cool, huh? Lotsa stuff out there, ya just gots ta ask fer it.

Three Hawks