RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading Everything
RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationWideners
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: American Made Mosin Nagant 1891

Boolit Master

American Made Mosin Nagant 1891

My local gun shop had something unique the other day, I have never been a huge fan of Mosin Nagant rifles, I owned one twenty some odd years ago, and I was not a fan of that one, and most I run into are pretty gritty and rough to say the least.

This one is different, I had seen a couple of American made Mosins over the years, never really got to handle or bother with one. This one, made by Remington in 1917 and has all the numbers matching except the bolt. The action on it is extremely slick, something the early guns are well known for but especially the Remington and Westinghouse guns.

Who knows if this gun ever made it overseas, I'm pretty sure it did, the front sight was changed out to a 1891/30 style, and it has some oddball stamps on it. One source tells me Poland, another said it could have ended up in the Spanish Civil War, but those guns tend to have a different and much rougher stock. Someone engraved a series of numbers on the stock twice, and then on the side of the magazine. With the letter prefix, it can't be someone's military ID #, one number too many at least. it might also be a Czech gun but it has none of the Finnish rework stampings so it's doubtful they got it.

The shop was selling it cheap, the same price as a standard Russian surplus Mosin, they knew it was a Remington, the shop owner didn't care, so I got it for about half the value I am told. The bore is excellent and ammo is plentiful here for them. Can't wait to range test this one.

These are some of the markings I can't seem to get any info on.

On the very front of the trigger guard/floor plate.

This is on the left side of the forearm in the groove, it's about 1/2" tall. I was told that this "h" looking symbol is what the Poles used.

I can't find anything to match this one above the serial number on the barrel.

This one is on the tang under the bolt.

Whatever cannot be remedied, must be endured.

Boolit Master
    Nice find. You got lucky. Congratulations.

yeah there are some stories about the American Made Mosins. Thousands wound up being sold in the US market. The gun companies ran into financial trouble when the Russians defaulted on payments and many Mosins went home as payment to the disgruntled employees who didn't get paid. The US government bought up most of them to save the companies and then didn't know what to do with them either. Many wound up sold through the NRA programs. So it is not a surprise that one can still find American made Mosins still.

These are very nice rifles and show how nice the Mosin design can be. very few of these rifles went to russia as mentioned above, but all of them for not exactly the same reason. the russian “inspectors” that would approve rifles before they got sent to russia were a bunch of picky idiots that would turn down rifles for absolutely anything. not to mention that the original gauges sent to start production were worn and out of spec. these rifles have a fascinating history and it really shows why the russian empire imploded.

Some of these guns ended up with U.S troops during their attempt to rescue the Czech Legion from russia during the revolution.

finding where this gun went could be a challenge. Poland probably, but who knows.

Got bored found this site http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinMarks.htm
    maybe it can help if you haven’t already found it.
    Last edited by jugulater; 04-23-2020 at 10:22 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    On the picture 1 before last first letter looks like Д (which is Cyrillic D letter) so I guess at least at some point it was in Russia.

Very nice find ! Congratulations!

Boolit Master
    You are fortunate to find a Mosin of any variety with an excellent bore. You may already know this, but if you shoot surplus ammo in it, assume it is corrosive, and clean accordingly with some solution that includes water.

Boolit Master
    The Russians had a large order for those rifles, but those pesky Bolsheviks took over, so they were never sent. That is a nice rifle you have there. I have fired the Russian model, and it shot pretty well. As good as the contemporary production battle rifles from other nations.

Boolit Buddy
    That's an awesome find

Boolit Master

Nice Mosin indeed. Congrats. Mine likes tula ammo the best. It's a tack driver with the tula. 1943 is the date of mine. I redid the stock and added a scope and recoil pad Below is the before and after.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3528_d1450.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	260942
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF8282.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	25.2 KB 
ID:	260943
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Always wanted a Rem and Westinghouse when I was collecting but could never find a really nice example at a fair price
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Banned

I have a Remington one which was unfortunately sportered in probably the 20s. It does have an excellent bore and someone did a good trigger job on it. Got an after market sporter stock to replace the cut down military one, eventually, I'll get around to shooting it.

Even the crude ones are better rifles than a lot of guys think. About as strong and fool proof as a rifle can be. Can be quite accurate when fed good ammo.

Personally, I would not let any milsurp ammo in the same room with that one, I can't believe so many shoot that unknown stuff which is almost surely corrosive. I don't care how cheap it is, get some good ammo or reload for it, the cartridge responds well to cast bullets in my experience.

Banned
    The mark above the serial number with the rectangular border appears to be an over-stamp to obliterate the underlying mark.

Polish service somewhere along the line is a real possibility.

In any event, that rifle probable had an interesting ride through history.

Boolit Master
    I've a Remington w some mixed parts, the stock maybe from an NEW. haven't shot it yet, but will soon.

Caution on milsurp ammo. Russia increased to bullet diameter when updating to the 91-30 and the chamber is supposedly larger in the neck area due to the change. Finland got caught with lots of Soviet rifles and ammo and would cut the neck area to take the larger (.310 vs .308) bullet safely. Finland stamped the barrel or receiver ring with the letter D to signify the altered chamber. So, most all Finnish rifles will have the D marking.

If it went to Europe, and by the looks of it i did, it may have been modded but then again maybe not. Not by Finland anyway. Just be patient and careful with loading .310+ diameter bullets and loads.

"Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Unpaid-for Mosins, AKA " Three Line Rifles" were issued to doughboys who thought they were going to France but were sent to Russia instead, as jugulater mentioned. Henry Ford had involvement in that " White Russian" mission if I'm not mistaken.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I'm curious whether it was converted to a 91/30. See if you can determine barrel length. The M91s were 31.5" long and the 91//30s were 28.5" long.
    Rule 303

Boolit Master

My NEW M91 has seen use in Finland as evidenced by the "SA" in a box on the barrel. Possible re-barrel?
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    Just my .02, I would think it is/was a Russian life. Usually the Finnish captures I have seen the crest would have been removed on receiver ring top. Appears to be original configuration due to large 91' bands still used. The stock appears replaced and to be of Com-bloc hardwood, the original issue was walnut. Also stock does not have finger joint center found on Finn's. Slug the bore just because and nice find, enjoy.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GBertolet View Post
    The Russians had a large order for those rifles, but those pesky Bolsheviks took over, so they were never sent. That is a nice rifle you have there. I have fired the Russian model, and it shot pretty well. As good as the contemporary production battle rifles from other nations.
    I've got a Russki 91/30 with an oversize (0.316") bore, and it shoots cast boolits quite nicely. Couldn't put factor ammo on the paper at all. It's not as nice as my 1903 Springfield, but I still like it!

Boolit Master
    Cant necessarily believe any stamps anymore ....the SA in a box increases value and desirability to some ,and consequently the stamps are sold on ebay ,along with all the other stamps that make rifles look genuine /more valuable.