WidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 44 Special Loads

Boolit Buddy

44 Special Loads

Got the 4 5/8 Ruger Flat Top and want some load info using Unique and a 240 Gr Cast. Years ago I used the Skeeter Load of 7.5 Gr of Unique but at my age want a softer shooting load. Am looking for a much lighter load using Unique and a 240 Gr Cast. How low can I go for something around 800 FPS. Or should I be using another powder. Have Tite Group and HP-38. I want this for a fun load to roll tin cans and such. Not for hunting since I am just a shooter now a days.

I have a pair of S&W 624's in .44 Special and for light, accurate plinker loads I've been using 3.5 to 4.0 grains of 700X, Red Dot, Bullseye, 231 Win., etc. My S&W's aren't fussy and seem to shoot just about anything I've put in them in the way of reloads. No reason that your Tite Group or HP38 shouldn't work just as well.
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master
    If you want to use unique 5.5 to 6.5 should give you 700 to 800 FPS with a 240

Boolit Master
    Lyman's 429348 wadcutter at, if I remember right, was 180 grains. A light load of any of the powders you mention should but when you run out try Winchester's Super Target the " improved 452AA" it is quite accurate and extremely clean burning.

Back in the day I shot on a 20 yard indoor range this was a one hole group load Two handed, no rest! A few years ago I'll admit but my Charter Arms Target 44 Special is still up for it if I am.

HM

Boolit Master
    I do not do .44 special but it should work even though I discovered it in magnum cases.

What I am referring to is loading three rounds each of a competing load, so two sets of three and loading them alternatively in your cylinder. Ie a round of load #1 then a round of load #2, then back to #1 and so forth until you have the cylinder full. Make sure you know which load you start with and commence firing the cylinder full. If there is much difference in the nature of the recoil you should be able to tell a difference pretty soon.

I kind of favor Red Dot for the task you seek to accomplish. I think it’s dwell time would be more suitable than the really fast powders. Red Dot does run a little dirty so I would inside debur the flash hole to achieve a better burn.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

After many years of shooting non-magnum revolvers, I don't believe Unique is your best choice for standard (800 fps) velocity loads. I would choose Bullseye with a charge of 4.8 to 5.0 grains under your 240 Keith bullet. Bullseye is by far the most versatile powder for non-magnum revolver cartridges. When you move above standard velocities then Unique is my go-to powder.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Banned
    Factory 44 Special loads with 240 grain lead bullets are already pretty docile if not downright pathetic. The "Skeeter" load of 7.5 grs. of Unique in a 44 Special case and a 240-250 grain bullet is sometimes slightly over SAAMI specs but it doesn't worry me in modern guns.

If you're looking for something tamer than the "Skeeter" load, my advice is to simply duplicate the lame factory 44 Special loads.

You can use a 240 gr lead SWC and 5.7 grains of Unique to get into the mid 700fps range and with a little more get that into the low 800fps range while easily remaining within SAAMI specs. I agree with Char-Gar that Bullseye is a better choice for standard velocity loads and with around 5 grain of BE you'll be well under 800 fps with a 240 gr. bullet.
    I use Unique to make "Skeeter" equivalent loads but Unique is not my favorite powder. It doesn't meter well and is inefficient at anything below max charge weights.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Hatcher's Textbook of Pistols and Revolvers (1935) listed 5 grains of Bullseye as being the standard charge for the .44 Special with 246-grain LRN bullet. That was in balloon-head cases. Factory velocity is approximated with 4.5-4.8 grains with a 240-grain lead bullet in modern brass. The 5-grain load is a full charge at standard pressure and shoots well in modern revolvers with the #429421, Saeco #441, or Accurate 43-255H.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks to all. Much to consider. Need to get some Bullseye and start working up some light loads.

Any of the cowboy action reloading data will have loads in the range your looking for.

A link to hodgdon's cowboy action data with titegroup & hp-38 included in their 44spl data along with universal clays, clays & trail boss.
    http://ns.hodgdon.com/PDF/Cowboy%20Action%20Data.pdf

Myself I prefer clays over bullseye powder for light loads in the 44spl's & 44mags.

Boolit Master
    I have the Skeeter loads loaded up but I probably shoot 500 rounds of 5.2 gr. of Bullseye for every cylinder full of Skeeter loads.

Boolit Grand Master
    If you have Red Dot, try 5.0-5.5 grains of it with your 240 grain boolits. In the 44 Special, Red Dot is something of a sleeper, but it has done excellent service in my own Flat top. 5.2 grains gave best accuracy in my gun. My S&W's also like that load.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pistols 002.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	246487
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    I like W231 with the Keith or Miha bullet, it's the same as HP38 & I use a lot of it during the summer months.

Dick

Banned

I shoot a lot of 7.5 grains of Unique with Elmer's bullet! Also, heavy doses of 2400 with the same bullet.

I've had really good luck with 5.0 grs. of Bullseye OR 5.2 grs. of either Red Dot or 700-X and a 248-ish gr. RN bullet from either a Lee mold or a Lyman 429383. This load pretty much duplicates the original load, shoots to the sights and is very accurate.

35 W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Several have mentioned standard pressure Bullseye loads here. I've also used it with both the 250 gr. #429421 and the 235 gr. HP version. Accurate, but shoots about 6" high at 25 yds. in my Model 24-3 with 6 1/2" barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by sixshot View Post
    I like W231 with the Keith or Miha bullet, it's the same as HP38 & I use a lot of it during the summer months.

Dick
    Ditto here. WW231 over the H&G #503 is my 44 special load. Easy on the hands, low recoil, and very accurate. I shoot them from a 44HE 4th change pre 24.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master
    A few years ago I did some testing using Unique and Win 231, and two different 240 grain SWC's - Speer swaged .430", and Oregon Trail .431". Way before that I had tried Speer swaged .430" 240 grain swc's on top of 6.5 grains of Unique, but due to dwell time, I could not adjust my rear sight down far enough - so I upped it to 6.8 grains of Unique which appears to be a sweet sopt for my Ruger. Anyhow this is what I came up with:

VELOCITY TESTING
    44 Special
    Unique and Win 231 .430 Speer vs. .431 Oregon Trail
    Ruger Single Action Blackhawk

1. a. Speer .430 grain swaged SWC -
    6.8 grains Unique: Ruger SA 4 1/2"
    907, 875, 881, 899, 906 - average 890 fps
    1.b. Speer .430 grain swaged SWC -
    6.2 grains W231: Ruger SA 4 1/2"
    796, 837, 786 - average 806 fps

2. a. Oregon Trail .431 laser cast 240 grain SWC -
    6.8 grains Unique: Ruger SA 4 ½"
    900, 1011, 1005, 933 - average 962 fps
    -----------------------------------
    6.5 grains Unique: Ruger SA 4 ½"
    886, 912, 918 - average 905 fps

2. b. Oregon Trail .431 laser cast 240 grain SWC -
    6.2 grains W231: Ruger SA 4 ½"
    845, 903, 911, average 886 fps.

I was expecting the W231 to jump about 80 fps with the .431 laser cast Oregon Trail, and it did. I was hoping that the slight reduction from 6.8 grains of Unique to 6.5 grains would drop it back into my supposed sweet spot for the Ruger SA of around 890 - 900 fps, and it did. I was prepared to drop it to 6.4 grains but do not see any need to considering the velocity and the accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by lotech View Post
    Several have mentioned standard pressure Bullseye loads here. I've also used it with both the 250 gr. #429421 and the 235 gr. HP version. Accurate, but shoots about 6" high at 25 yds. in my Model 24-3 with 6 1/2" barrel.
    Slower bullets shoot higher than faster bullets and heavier bullets shoot higher than lighter bullet. The reason for both, is when the bullet leave the barrel during the handgun recoil arc. If you have adjustable sights, the solution is to lower your rear sight. It should not bottom out with standard weight and velocity loads.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    Slower bullets shoot higher than faster bullets and heavier bullets shoot higher than lighter bullet. The reason for both, is when the bullet leave the barrel during the handgun recoil arc. If you have adjustable sights, the solution is to lower your rear sight. It should not bottom out with standard weight and velocity loads.
    The 6 1/2” Model 24-3 revolvers came with the wrong height front sight. I had the same problem when I bought the gun new in ‘83 or so, and shipped mine back to S&W to have the proper height front sight installed.