MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackbox
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plinking ??

Boolit Master

Plinking ??

I need a easy to tell , way to explain Plinking

As I need to explain it to a 30 something Lady
    She is a friend a co worker of My Lady , but she had not ever even seen a gun in person before today

Well in a holster , Police I guess

We stopped over to her house after "Killing" paper plates at 25 yards to 150 yards

I showed her several handguns and a rifle today
    She even picked up a Ruger MK2 5 1/2" pistol I had with me

But has no clue about shooting .... I hope to help her learn
    As my lady and I like to help people learn how a gun can be used for fun
    Not just "BAD"

Don't want to turn her off , just need a soft , easy way to tell her

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master

It's a relaxed/informal form of shooting.

There is no Competition, A wide variety of targets may be used., i.e. ballons, soda cans, plastic bottles, metal targets; knock down or swingers. Atmosphere is Casual. BUT SAFETY IS STILL PARAMOUNT. Eye & Ear protection mandatory.

Most folks Plink with .22 Rimfire, but any caliber may be used.

It's probably the very best method to introduce someone to shooting.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy
    Plinking is proving that you can hit that target, over and over again.

Plinking is a casual term for informal target practice/shooting.

Like shooting floating sticks, odd shaped rocks, or empty soda cans along a creekbank,
    as opposed to target practice shooting at sheets of paper on target stands and at known distances.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 05-11-2019 at 09:15 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    This is plinking

Easier to show her.

Dozen pop cans, a safe place to shoot, scatter them from close to mid range. Give her a decent .22lr rifle or pistol and tell her to go have some fun. To me that is what it is about, fun factor. Kicking a tennis ball down range with shot after shot until it is blown up, ripped apart or takes a bad hop and is no longer visable.

One of my favorites is drive a pair sticks 3-4 feet long some 10 feet apart at a reasonable range. Then fill a case of empty pop or water bottles half full of water. Make some string circles. Put a half hitch over the bottle top, make the other end into a loop. Put the loop around the string, drop the bottle through the loop. You now have a swinging target. Hit the top half and it will move, try to hit it again, and again. Hit the bottom where the water is and it blows up. Move to next target.

Just keep it fun.

Boolit Buddy
    Plinking is the sound that multiple beverage containers made when shooting them dead with a small caliber round. Most notably steel or glass, as in "bang" followed by "plink"!
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ very well put!

Boolit Master

Plinking, in my opinion, is as stated above casual, relaxed non-competitive shooting...dale

Where i grew up plinking involved metal targets provided by the DOT.

BB

Boolit Master

Gotta fill the pop cans with water or nothing happens when you shoot 'em. The things are so thin nowadays they don't even shake when you hit 'em. Plus the damage from the hydraulic pressure introduced is a great visual aid for why you do not point the muzzle at anything you're not willing to put a hole in. 60 years ago Pops empty beer cans would jump when you hit 'em !

Boolit Buddy

It’s recycling trash. I can’t let that empty can go to the landfill unused.
    Stronger, Prouder and Greater!

Plinking to me was when the dump closed at 2:00 on Saturday and Mr. Eash would push the piles at 1:45 and leave. At 2:05 We shot rats,bottle,cans and anything that looked interesting.

Banned

Like shooting floating sticks, oddly shaped rocks, or empty soda cans along a creek bank,
    as opposed to target practice shooting at sheets of paper on target stands and at known distances.
    I also like freezing colored water in 1# butter containers, they keep your beverages cool and there's no clean up when you're done

This AND boolits PC'd to her favorite/softer colors help make it more fun and less threatening.

Moderator Emeritus

If you are looking for a Metaphor???
    and... assuming the typical Stereotype (A lady with no gun experience is probably familiar with Shopping), then you could tell her that "Plinking" to seasoned shooters, is like going shopping with no specific items on the list and no intent on buying anything.
    Whereas, Hunting or competition shooting, each have a expectation or goal, much like shopping for a specific item.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

Plinking is simply having fun with little or no feed back or information gathering. What I call fun targets or reactionary targets and simply shooting to see them turn to dust ( neco wafers). Or blocks of wood, bowling pins, golf balls, tin cans, and other targets of opportunity. No scoring, record keeping is done. Practice is a little mire formal and groups may be measured and recorded velocities measured, Its more about gathering information and working up a baseline or load.

Boolit Buddy
    Another option for higher calibers is to fill a coffee can with water that has a plastic lid. Place the filled can with the lid down on the ground etc. and watch what happens when it is hit. It's your own mini rocket! This would probably work with smaller cans of similar design and smaller calibers.
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Boolit Master

People dump out in the bush shooting areas. We always find something to plink. Like they say one man's trash is another's treasure. My favorite is when they dump bricks or cinder blocks. I love blasting them apart. When folks dumb rubbish we pile it up. And have a bonfire.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Grand Master

I can't think of much to add to whats already been said. Basically I consider plinking to be a form of casual target practice at improvised targets. Cans, blocks, bricks, dirt clods, balloons, steel plates, ect. Maybe with some friendly competition thrown in.

Boolit Master

Like shooting floating sticks, odd shaped rocks, or empty soda cans along a creekbank,
    As a Hunter Education instructor we teach the students to avoid shooting at water and hard objects other than properly designed steel targets due to the risk of ricochet. Empty cans on a soft creek bank make great plinking targets.

Johnch, I’ve compared plinking to shooting pool when discussing shooting with nonshooters. Good luck!
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris