RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: bisley grip versus regular grip

Banned

bisley grip versus regular grip

Well I really am curious on this.

IF a person got a bisley grip from ruger, and found it wasn't up to snuff, how hard would it be to get it turned into a standard black hawk grip?

Boolit Master
    In my experience, with 44 Magnums, a Bisley grip is not going to improve your ability to shoot better. Likewise, the standard Black Hawk grip will not improve your ability to shoot better. What will improve your ability to shoot 44 Magnums better is to "whittle" grips for a two-handed grip. With the right fitting grips, you should be able to shoot well, in one session, 50 rounds of max. 44 Magnum loads. Years ago,I went through this with my two sons and we all whittled our grips. Your felt recoil will be less and your follow-up shots will be faster and on the mark. It is worth the effort!

Best regards,

CJR

The grip frames are interchangeable, however, you need to also change the hammer and trigger. I like and own both styles. The bisley is great for heavy recoiling calibers and long barreled revolvers. The plow handle grips are great for natural pointing ability. That is my take on it. There is alot of personal preference involved. It is always best to try before you buy.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master

I too have both. I switched out my NM Blackhawk grips for Super Blackhawk Grips on all my NM Blackhawks years ago. I just like the fit in my hand. As a matter of fact when the shorter barreled .44mag Super Blackhawks came out I was disappointed to find they had STD size grips, but they were still steel. So I bought a STS Super Blackhawk in the heavy 10 1/2" bbl and had it cut down to 5 1/2". Gave me the grip I wanted and the bbl length I wanted.
    I also got a longer ejector rod and heavier bbl then a factory 5 1/2" would've given me.

I've had a Bisley in .45 Colt since they 1st came out. and a Bisley/Vaquero .45 Colt in 5 1/2" too. If they had offered the Bisley/Vaquero in a 7 1/2" bbl, I'd have traded my STS Vaquero's in 7 1/2" in for a pair of those.

If you want to shoot HOT loads the Bisley Grip frame will give you a better grip then the std grip frame. And another thing, the Bisley grip frames are steel only. The std Blackhawk/Single-Six grip frames are alloy. The Vaqureo/New Vaquero have always had steel grip frames.

if you want to change out a grip frame, the new one has to be fit/polished to the gun's frame. If it's a blued gun, then the grip frame has to be blued. You'd be better off selling the gun and buying another.
    Last edited by Walks; 01-06-2019 at 11:05 PM. Reason: spelling
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    Swapping grip frames. The screw hole pattern is the same for both grip frame types. New, in the white g/f's will require fitting the frame. And yes,, occasionally there are finished frames that swap easily, w/o any filing or polishing, no matter which way you go.
    Hammers are needed for the swap in general. Triggers are not necessary,,, but nice to have as well.

I put a stainless Bisley g/f under an OM 44 mag w/o any changes except in the frame. The Super hammer fit just fine, as did the trigger. I did add the ERH to match it up. I'll see about a picture shortly.

A grip, no matter the style SHOULD have panels that fit YOUR hands properly.

And, most folks find the Bisley g/f handles heavy recoil better than the others.

Here is the one mentioned above. Notice the tip of the g/f "ears" a little proud over the frame at the top. Not an issue to me,, as I may want to swap things around later. Notice the hammer & trigger too.

Banned
    Its just that I haven't seen a black hawk or super redhawk in perhaps 15 years.

Id probably have to do a 3-400 mile drive to actually get to a gun store that has a ruger single action. And id still most likely have to special order one.

Boolit Grand Master

Not to hijack this thread, but has anyone ever tried full wrap around grips on a single action? I've tried over and over to like a standard single action grip, but they just don't work for me. If I could get a grip that had a swell in the middle, instead of the standard straight taper, maybe I could like them. With smooth wood grips, I don't care how strong your hands are. With a strong caliber, that gun is coming loose. Hogue rubber grips kind of help. You can shoot with your pinky under the grip, and it kind of works.

That's my experience anyway, I can't imagine why anyone would prefer standard grips to Bisley. The only real argument is you can turn that loss of control into faster shooting by cocking the hammer as the gun comes back down. This only works with loads that don't drive the hammer into your wrist.

Boolit Master
    I tried the Hogue on my blackhawk, took em right back off. They shift the gun higher in your hand and are just to much. I put a birdshead on mine recently after buying a 22 with that grip.