Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: A morning's stroll

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.

A morning's stroll

Beautiful day here today, so I thought I would go out and look for some mushrooms. I didn't have any luck at my usual spot, so took a walk down an old logging road. I happened across a few coveys of grouse, and managed to get one.
    I had been seeing a few mushrooms, and decided there were enough to harvest, so filled up my handkerchief on the way back out. The big ones are boletus, and I found a couple lonely shaggy manes to bring home.
    I think the boletus are the best winter mushroom, and are in the dehydrator already. The shaggy manes went on a sandwich. To preserve them, they must be sauteed, and then can be frozen, canned, or dried.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

There's chanterelle mushrooms all over my deep woods. They are delicious!! For some reason they weren't nearly as prolific this year. Here in north Louisiana they usually ripen late July through early August.

Nice work. I recall in my late teens going rabbiting most afternoons after school. At the right time of year I would often return with a bunny and bag of mushrooms. Mum was always grateful of the mushies.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Jr, we have chanterelle mushrooms here, too, although they tend to grow at a lower elevation than I generally wander. There were also tons of morels in the burns around here this summer, but I didn't bother with going after any. I much prefer the boletus to the morels.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned

do you shoot the grouse on the fly with the 22 or just the mushrooms?

Quote Originally Posted by Blammer View Post
    do you shoot the grouse on the fly with the 22 or just the mushrooms?
    Both, of course!

Those boletus must be something way good. Around here the morel spot is something you tell your favorite child about on your death bed. Come April the woods are alive with morel seekers.

Wife and I will go after hen of the woods in the next week or so,
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Goodie on the shrooners, but I'll take the grouse.
    Reading can provide limited education because only shooting provides YOUR answers as you tie everything together for THAT gun. The better the gun, the less you have to know / do & the more flexibility you have to achieve success.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Those boletus must be something way good. Around here the morel spot is something you tell your favorite child about on your death bed. Come April the woods are alive with morel seekers.

Wife and I will go after hen of the woods in the next week or so,
    Morels are kinda a "gimme" around here. Go to where a forest fire has been , and a family could most likely fill a pickup bed in a day.
    I took an old buddy hunting today, and brought home another three gallons, that are in the dehydrator. That should be plenty to get me through to next season!

Banned

We've got BIG boletus shrooms around here. I love em\..

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Morels are kinda a "gimme" around here. Go to where a forest fire has been , and a family could most likely fill a pickup bed in a day.
    I took an old buddy hunting today, and brought home another three gallons, that are in the dehydrator. That should be plenty to get me through to next season!
    I wish they were a gimme around here. The best spot I had was dozed for pasture quite a few years back an haven't found another good spot yet. Used to clean up during Turkey season. The Boletus are good but I never thought as good as the Morrels. Nothing around here right now, hasn't rained in 2 months.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

May be you all can help me on this. Out here on the flats our puffballs are the size of baseball or little bigger. In the black hills I have seen same looking thing but the size of a soccer ball. are they also good to eat if fresh and white?

Boolit Buddy
    Sure. I LOVE small puffballs sliced and sauteed in butter. MMM.
    If you want your children to follow in your footsteps, be careful where you walk.
    Beware the man that only owns one gun; he probably knows how to use it.
    Some things never change; others change more slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by crowbeaner View Post
    Sure. I LOVE small puffballs sliced and sauteed in butter. MMM.
    Yup. But the big devils would fill a skilet. Still wondering if there same thing.
    Love the Morrels. Got to learn more about others.