Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting Alone

Boolit Master
    I guess that is is dumb to hunt alone and not tell anyone where I am except in general 30 to 50 square mile circumference. Lots of times I have no cell service, I hunt public land and sometimes the location is like to hunt is taken by another hunter (vehicle parked), some of the large game I hunt is migratory and not necessarily where they "should" be so I need to move my location, sometimes by fifty miles to hunt in the game zone. I heard about the guy who had the rock fall on his arm. How he sawed off his arm with his knife to make it out of the woods alive. I've heard about heart attacks in the woods, seizures, severe cuts, etc. you just never know I guess.

I've always done it this way. Those of us who view cell phones as new gadgets are probably the main culprits.

I just don't always want to be connected. I don't always want someone knowing where my butt is 24-7. I want to get lost sometimes and if I never come back, they will figure it out.
    Lotta people die in bed: Dangerous place to be!

Boolit Master

Hickory, You can come to my place, upstate ny, about 12hr drive. I am over run with deer, you can use my cabin ( needs cleaning) no running water, wood stove and propane cooking, no electric, out house
    out of state tags are on you, or not. You got 4 wheel? if not use mine. I have good radios, NO cell phone, bring yours
    PM me your intesested

odd that you say the deer move from the hog farm...Some of the best hunting here is right by the county landfill, will gag a maggot just driving by but lot's of nice bucks taken there.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MyFlatline View Post
    odd that you say the deer move from the hog farm...Some of the best hunting here is right by the county landfill, will gag a maggot just driving by but lot's of nice bucks taken there.
    The same outfit that has the hogs, owns the woods and they deposit their dead hogs in the woods which in turns draws coyotes and the coyotes harass the deer and the deer just don't like coyotes eating their young and getting harassed.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master

If I can drive alone to where I will be hunting, I can hunt alone once I get there.
    Folks can have a medical event no mater where they are or who they are with.

Having some one with you can increase their chance of survival if they have a medical emergency
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Master
    If you want to find a place close to you do one of three things:
    1. Find a new friend that has property over ridden with deer. You do this by going door to door.
    2. Buy yourself a small piece of property
    3. Buy into a hunting lease

Or PM ascast, his offer was outstanding
    Last edited by snowwolfe; 10-01-2017 at 10:59 AM.
    Moving back to Alaska

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    Or PM ascast, his offer was outstanding
    Yeah boy! I kinda wonder if ascast needs a new best friend?
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

I just don't always want to be connected. I don't always want someone knowing where my butt is 24-7. I want to get lost sometimes and if I never come back, they will figure it out.
    Well said.

Boolit Master

Plan A, is not working.
    Plan B, is yet to be defined.

Banned

if you could make it out here I could point you in a few different directions.
    [all public land]

I think I have my general area narrowed down this fall.
    If the weather isn't too bad I'm gonna throw on the back pack and head into a new area for a few day's.
    there isn't any cell service there but I could see the lights of town at night if I chose to walk up on the ridgeline.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    if you could make it out here I could point you in a few different directions.
    [all public land]

I think I have my general area narrowed down this fall.
    If the weather isn't too bad I'm gonna throw on the back pack and head into a new area for a few day's.
    there isn't any cell service there but I could see the lights of town at night if I chose to walk up on the ridgeline.
    I have been thinking about your offer, and I just might take you up on it. But, not this year, maybe next year. I'll have to check to see what's involved in getting a nonresident deer license along with the extras.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebob View Post
    Get yourself a gps SPOT and you can be in touch with your wife everyday and let her know u are ok and exactly where u are...your spot message will show up on her computer with a map showing your location anywhere in the world. U can use it to call 911 too! My buddy in Alaska uses one all the time and I'm thinking about getting on for myself. And I just hunt the Ozarks by myself a few hours from home..
    I have used them, too!
    Since they are satellite based, they work where cell phones don't.

Boolit Master

I never got to plan B:
    My son just called me and we talked about a lot of things, one was deer hunting. I guess I have a hunting pardner for November. I hope he gets here in time for the hunt, right now he is in Europe somewhere.
    You can follow him on Instagram at planestrains_and_automobles or his wife at globetrottergrubb.

They have been on the move since we left Hawaii in June.
    They should be in NW Ohio in mid November.
    Last edited by Hickory; 10-02-2017 at 07:40 PM.

I just don't always want to be connected. I don't always want someone knowing where my butt is 24-7. I want to get lost sometimes and if I never come back, they will figure it out.[/QUOTE]

Not everyone has a spouse with a disability, that still wants you to go hunt but would like to hear from you in the evenings. Yep I do, religiously, Gotta love a woman that feels that way. Everything has a twist, being connected has allowed me to travel, as before I could not.

Banned

let me know.
    out of state tags are reasonable and easy to get.
    you can take a bear instead of a buck with your tag if you happen to run across one of those.

I generally pick a canyon, drive up, park, and head out for the day or for several.
    sometimes I get a deer, sometimes I don't [shrug] but getting back in off the road increases my chances.

I volunteer with Search & Rescue out here. To my knowledge, we have never failed to locate someone alive here who activated a SPOT, InReach or Personal Locator Beacon (PLB). If you want 2-way communication with your wife, get the Inreach. It uses the very-reliable Iridium network and they have low-cost, "occasional user" plans. You can find last-years model on eBay as well. Being able to say "I want to stay 2 more days, since the weather is bad" is really nice.

If funds are tight, the PLB will absolutely get you rescued, any time, anywhere. There is no monthly fee, it's a one-time purchase. The main disadvantage is that the only option is "call for help."

SPOT is okay, and could be a good option if there is a deal on the plan. The units are inexpensive. Expect messages to take a while to get out, and the coverage area to be a bit less than the Inreach, which is worldwide.

Arclight

I wonder if my SARSAT locator beacon ( EPIRB) that I use offshore would work....Hadn't thought about that.. It is registered with NOAA.

Quote Originally Posted by MyFlatline View Post
    I wonder if my SARSAT locator beacon ( EPIRB) that I use offshore would work....Hadn't thought about that.. It is registered with NOAA.
    There's no reason it would not. It uses the same 406Mhz satellite network. PLB is the same technology as EPIRB, adapted to a more portable design and registered to a person instead of a vessel.

I guess I was just plain dumb...I hunted, fished the mountains and explored the Colorado mountains mostly alone for many years...no cell phones, no GPS, etc (talking the '50's and 60's)...my Wife used to get a little nervous but I did call when I came off the mountain and let her know I was on my way..just lucky ...never had any issues..then we moved to the Coast and I began offshore fishing....I really enjoy fishing offshore by myself although now I'm too old..I liked to plan my trips (fished marlin and tuna mostly) based on information I'd gather during the week and frankly didn't like to "argue" about destinations when it was my boat and my fuel and bait...Again, very lucky as I never went over..caught a number of marlin "solo" and no problems...did have a VHS radio and I guess if I got in a jam the USCG would have relayed info..also I had Vessel Assist which is a towing service in case of breakdown...

I like being alone and always have..not a hermit or a loner per se..just enjoy the peace and quiet and a little rush of adreneline when being alone and coming across a deer or elk or having a big fish grab the line.

I never encourage others to do things alone...it can be really dangerous..I had a friend go overboard when alone and died "wet" I guess watching his boat motor off over the horizon with him not in it.

USMC 77, USRA 79

I love going alone, the solitude can't be beat.. but I do let a few folks know the general area I am going....
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.