RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: .444 Marlin- Anyone still using one?

.444 Marlin- Anyone still using one?

Recently acquired a .444 Marlin ('73 vintage, in great shape) and was looking for info on any tips/ideas regarding reloading cast for it.
    I got a .432 265gr kieth style round nose flat type bullet mold from MP Molds. Looks like it should be an absolute delight for both deer and paper.

I'm also interested in any advice on rear aperture sights, I did some looking but haven't found much. What I'm really looking for is a rear peep sight that will screw right to the receiver holes that come on it for scope mounting and align correctly with the factory front sight (top mount or there are some that screw into the side as well- either is acceptable as I have both sets of mounting holes). Larger aperture is better than small (think ghost ring military sight type setup) as my eyes aren't what they used to be. Most I have found sit too tall and need to have the front sight replaced to match up which I am not going to do.

Boolit Master
    A buddy of mine owns one and hunts with it regularly. He uses a 265 gr JSP, but I'm not sure of the powder or charge weight. I'll ask and post the data if he's willing to share with me. Unfortunately, he doesn't shoot cast boolits, (unless I give him some...LOL).

It doesn't seem to recoil like my Marlin 45-70, so is easier on the shoulder.

Boolit Grand Master

The WGRS is about as low as you can go. I used one on an 1894C with the factory front. Just screw out the aperture for a ghost ring.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Marlin owners has a lot of info on the 444 and loads for it. I have a Redfield peep sight on my 444, a Lyman on my 1894, a self made Skinner type on my Mossberg 375, another redfield on one 336 and another that still sports the factory sights. The new Lyman sights are more easily adjusted, but also much sloppier than the older ones. If it were me, I'd look for an old steel set of Lyman or Redfields as you should be able to use the factory front sight. My son and I have had to change out the front sight on guns using Skinner sights for taller blades. Williams also makes a peep that to me doesn't look as nice, but locks up tighter than my recent manufactured Lyman.

Yes, I use a 444 Marlin rifle. Skinner sights are very low, and very rugged. They look good too.

Bullets of 265 gr are about as long as the Marlin barrel will shoot well. I'm satisfied with 240 gr bullets.

https://skinnersights.com/

If you need to change the front sight it is easy and not very expensive to do. Personally, I don't like the tiny brass bead, and prefer a black blade with a vertical white line in the center. XS Sights makes a good one, as does Skinner.

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    I’ve had issues with two different Marlin rifles with peep sights. Probably ’80s vintage. The tube around the front sight looked twisted on a 30-30. I thought the gunsmith bent it during installation. Turns out the barrel didn’t go straight into the receiver.

The second one was a 22 where the barrel was rotated towards 1 o’clock so to speak. It became obvious once the rear sight went on the receiver and was way off mechanical center once sighted in.

I’m leery of ‘80s made Marlins now.