Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Thinking about getting a gunsmithing degree/certificate/???

Boolit Master

Story...... Back when the economy fell into the hole , 2006/7, I went to Michigan Works to get a different job and the aptitude test showed I was likely a good candidate to be trained for several things. HVAC was suggested and gunsmith was on the list too... also yard maintenance and way down the list was truck driving, Hvac was a two year training program, plenty of time to starve to death. truck driving was two weeks training, They pushed the yard work program, I think all those busy gove bureaucrats really needed someone to mow their yards. They flatly said they would not consider training to be a gunsmith,,, no way, like are you crazy? Foolishly I picked truck driving and it was not a good fit for me.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Thanks for the update, zg.

Keep us posted on how it goes!

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Master
    One of my godsons went through the Colorado school about 12 years ago. He graduated with multiple projects that he brought home to finish, but he hasn’t used the training to any great extent and is now in a completely different line of work. He did acquire a vertical mill and I sold him a lathe last year, so he may be considering getting back into it.

Although he picked up some metal working skills, the most impressive thing he can do is stock work. He can take a blank slab of wood and turn out a finished stock, complete with checkering and all the miscellaneous details. He stocked a model 70 for his dad and it looks better than factory.

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    Quote Originally Posted by zymguy View Post
    Moved my toolbox out and shook hands with my instructors . learned enough to know i dont know sqwat.
    Congratulations!

Do you need three phase power to run your machines?

Boolit Master

Being a gunsmith is very rewarding. There is always a need for a gunsmith. You may not get wealthy but will always have beer money. But consider this. I have been a gunsmith for over 50 years. Never went to a gunsmith school. Had a Federal 07 Manufacturers License for over 31 years. All the men and women that have worked for me in my shop over the years and built firearms: the specific skills required to turn out good quality comes down to mechanical skills. Have had several gunsmith school graduates that worked out ok. The tool and die trained individuals along with journeymen machinist apprentices worked out much better. My advice to you would be to attend a school for machinists or tool and die school. There are some great evening classes offered at some universities. A friend attended one of these classes and I actually saw a great improvement in his workmanship. That way you could keep a day job. Don't waist your money on a gunsmith school. Gunsmith schools are expensive. There are some great publications on stock work. Buy a gunsmithing book and digest it. Also there are terrific videos that demonstrate gunsmithing.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockindaddy View Post
    Being a gunsmith is very rewarding. There is always a need for a gunsmith. You may not get wealthy but will always have beer money. But consider this. I have been a gunsmith for over 50 years. Never went to a gunsmith school. Had a Federal 07 Manufacturers License for over 31 years. All the men and women that have worked for me in my shop over the years and built firearms: the specific skills required to turn out good quality comes down to mechanical skills. Have had several gunsmith school graduates that worked out ok. The tool and die trained individuals along with journeymen machinist apprentices worked out much better. My advice to you would be to attend a school for machinists or tool and die school. There are some great evening classes offered at some universities. A friend attended one of these classes and I actually saw a great improvement in his workmanship. That way you could keep a day job. Don't waist your money on a gunsmith school. Gunsmith schools are expensive. There are some great publications on stock work. Buy a gunsmithing book and digest it. Also there are terrific videos that demonstrate gunsmithing.
    Good advise. Tool and die knowledge will take you further than anything else. Doing wood work is gravy. If you just want to work on black rifles, little knowledge would be necessary.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Moved my toolbox out and shook hands with my instructors . learned enough to know i dont know sqwat.
    Did you finish the projects that you got from me?

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Congrats, now that you are done with school any thoughts as to where you're going to hang your shingle?
    Ely mn .

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Congratulations!

Haven't bought any machines uet

Quote Originally Posted by deltaenterprizes View Post
    Did you finish the projects that you got from me?
    Did I buy the 94 and 788 from you ?
    I should post a photo of that one (94)I'm pretty happy with how it turned out . 788 got chambered but not completed. If not which did I get from you?

Quote Originally Posted by Rockindaddy View Post
    Don't waist your money on a gunsmith school. Gunsmith schools are expensive. .
    Well Im graduating so it's too late .
    I did get a machining degree as well while I was there.

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Good advise. Tool and die knowledge will take you further than anything else. Doing wood work is gravy. If you just want to work on black rifles, little knowledge would be necessary.
    I made 3 stocks from wood blanks , I found it to be slow and challenging process .
    I'm not very interested in ars but I worked as a machinist for sota arms who makes them so i know my way around one pretty well. Today was my last shift , I will miss the machines

Boolit Grand Master

Congratulations!

Haven't bought any machines uet

Most of the serious machine tools are going to be 3 phase. Depending on what you get rotary or digital phase converts are an easy and cost-effective option. Machine requirements are based on what your products you will be producing. General gunsmithing doesn't need much for machine tools. I know a couple off smiths that make a good living with no machines other than a drill press and a 12" disk sander.

Building long range match rifles gets more involved. Muzzle brakes and similar might benefit from CNC.

I use a 10-horse rotary phase for my two Bridgeport's, Hardinge HLV-H, 5 horse 3 phase compressor and two surface grinders. My Sunnen hone and bench grinders/sanders/polishers are the only single phase I have for metal working.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 05-06-2024 at 01:04 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Most of the serious machine tools are going to be 3 phase. Depending on what you get rotary or digital phase converts are an easy and cost-effective option. Machine requirements are based on what your product will be producing. General gunsmithing doesn't need much for machine tools. Building long range match rifles gets more involved.

I use a 10-horse rotary phase for my two Bridgeport's, Hardinge HLV-H, 5 horse 3 phase compressor and two surface grinders.
    Haven't bought a lathe yet . I will likely start with a smaller lathe in the 12"-14 " swing neighborhood . Changing careers and being a full time student last couple years I dont have a pile of cash to start with . The space im renting will be unfortunately limited in both space and power. While not ideal I can chamber many barrel profiles through the head gordy gritters style with a lathe that size. When I land in a more permanent space ill get a bigger more rigid lathe , probably a haas tool room . Shoot me a message if youd be willing to show me your set up.
    I think im going to spend my first money equipment wise for finishes. Things like hot bluing tanks, burners, spray booth , and oven etc The space i have will accommodate that type of work and its easy equipment to move when I can .
    Before all that its a safe , security cameras/sensors and an exterior double door

Boolit Grand Master

Haven't bought a lathe yet . I will likely start with a smaller lathe in the 12"-14 " swing neighborhood . Changing careers and being a full time student last couple years I dont have a pile of cash to start with . The space im renting will be unfortunately limited in both space and power. While not ideal I can chamber many barrel profiles through the head gordy gritters style with a lathe that size. When I land in a more permanent space ill get a bigger more rigid lathe , probably a haas tool room . Shoot me a message if youd be willing to show me your set up.
    I think im going to spend my first money equipment wise for finishes. Things like hot bluing tanks, burners, spray booth , and oven etc The space i have will accommodate that type of work and its easy equipment to move when I can .
    Before all that its a safe , security cameras/sensors and an exterior double door
    No problem on showing you my setup in a month or two. Currently doing a redo of the layout with the addition of the surface grinders and the 3 phase compressor.

The Haas TL-1 & TL-2's are great lathes for serious gunsmith applications. I have read the new ones no longer include using manual controls.

Do you know Paul Payette from SOTA?
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

No, im guessing he's sales? I worked evenings and weekends at north branch mostly so I was usually the only one there.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I made 3 stocks from wood blanks , I found it to be slow and challenging process .
    You will gain speed with experience. I was pretty timid the first few I built. I got to where I knew the wood would have to be taken out, and would hog them out in pretty short order.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Did I buy the 94 and 788 from you ?
    I should post a photo of that one (94)I'm pretty happy with how it turned out . 788 got chambered but not completed. If not which did I get from you?

You got those from me.
    Thanks for the update!

Boolit Buddy
    I wanted to do that, did North American correspondence school, Penn Foster correspondence school, Modern gun smithing correspondence school, both the beginning course and the advanced course, and finally got an associates degree from Senoran Desert Institute. I also took a machine shop course and received a certificate to work as a machinist.
    The problem I have is no experience at working as a gunsmith. Now if i could just find a gunsmith here locally that would do an apprenticeship, I would be all set.
    Seems like no one wants an apprentice, even one that would work for nothing.
    Now the real problem is my age, at 73, and the fact that I am unable to relocate to another area. I have a disabled step daughter.