Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question About Long Unsupported Ogive

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by endwrench View Post
    So, if I have complete control of the bullet and throat design and intend to shoot subsonic, do you think there is any possibility of attaining decent accuracy with a long unsupported ogive with a cast bullet?

Sent from my K011 using Tapatalk
    Subsonic? My question is why go to all the bother?

If you want longer to make it heavier because you are shooting suppressed subsonic, then go with a known accurate design and hollow point it. A marginally stable design will not benefit from subsonic speeds.

How fast is your barrel twist?
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

My initial goal was to get a profile that would feed easily from the magazine and would also have a bit better BC. I know these aren't for long range sniping, but I figured that as long as I was designing it one off, why not take advantage of what I could. In the end, it appears that the latter idea just isn't worth it.
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkins45 View Post
    Subsonic? My question is why go to all the bother?

If you want longer to make it heavier because you are shooting suppressed subsonic, then go with a known accurate design and hollow point it. A marginally stable design will not benefit from subsonic speeds.

How fast is your barrel twist?
    Like the OP, I'm just trying to sort out a custom rifle build including caliber. It is just for the fun of it but I would like to experiment with something "not normal". My original intent before beginning research was to build a 50 cal subsonic shooting cast bullets at moderate long distance. It serves no real purpose other than entertaining myself. I would like to use a Spitzer style bullet if possible.

Boolit Master
    There are many pointed designs for the .50 from long range bullets in the .50 Sharps to spitzer designs for the .50 BMG.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by endwrench View Post
    Like the OP, I'm just trying to sort out a custom rifle build including caliber. It is just for the fun of it but I would like to experiment with something "not normal". My original intent before beginning research was to build a 50 cal subsonic shooting cast bullets at moderate long distance. It serves no real purpose other than entertaining myself. I would like to use a Spitzer style bullet if possible.

Why not a 45-70 for this? I have an approved tax stamp for a 10" 45 caliber silencer and my intent is to cut my 45-70 Handi-Rifle to 16", thread it and shoot big ol' 500 grain RN bullets at deer in my front yard.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkins45 View Post
    Why not a 45-70 for this? I have an approved tax stamp for a 10" 45 caliber silencer and my intent is to cut my 45-70 Handi-Rifle to 16", thread it and shoot big ol' 500 grain RN bullets at deer in my front yard.
    First, my apologies to 5Shot for hijacking his thread. I think I'll start another thread and query the masses for some further advice.

As to your inquiry, this project actually started life as a 458 American until I discovered the mighty 375 Ruger uses the same size case head. Plus, I too have a deer problem in my front yard!

Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    Designs like that in the OP are not made for target shooting which many of us tend to gravitate to. While I agree, you can't harvest what you can't hit, you look at this bullet and it seems to be a terrible design.
    Is it a target bullet? "No, it's all wrong for that."
    Is it a hunting bullet? "Well I read a hunting bullet has to have a big flat nose, so........no?"
    Why is it still alive if it shows neither the earmarks of a hunting bullet or a target bullet? "I don't know!!!! Its a freak and it shouldn't exist!!!!!"

Aha, well it's not a freak. It follows a different method than is commonly practiced, but that which was, at one time, the norm.
    Fact is, this bullet has several key advantages that have endeared it to its users (myself being one of them).
    First of all, this bullet is excellent for use in a situation where you must have reliable feeding. That long nose will make the most finicky of rifles feed well and reliably. This bullet runs in a Remington Model 8 like pouring water through a funnel.
    Second, it's very easy to cast, and it keeps all the lube and gas check inside the neck where it belongs, while giving you a 250 grain projectile, and it has a crimp groove so it can take a beating in semi automatic and tubular magazines without losing the seating depth.
    It also fits in the sort throat of the 358WCF and 35Remington.
    Finally, last and certainly not least...........it tumbles when it hits. It'll keep it together till it hits fur, but then it's going end over end, and frankly, even cast of ice hard metal, it makes the damage caused by a WFN look kind of pitiful.

So think about putting all this together. You load these bullets up hot in a Remington Model 8 or 81 semi auto, and you can belt out 5 of these as fast as you can pull the trigger. When each one hits the bear charging you down it goes end over end as it passes through the enraged animal. The bullets are carrying an enormous amount of energy with them, and they dump most of it in the bear before they exit.
    THAT'S why it's still here and THAT'S why it's one of my favorite bullets, even though no match will ever be won with it, and the groups are about double what I get from any other bullet design I've tried.
    goodsteel, you make this bullet sound very appealing. I'm not sure why I've never tried it, despite owning and loving several 35 caliber rifles. Any interest in a bullet swap, maybe 100 or so? If you are interested, I have a 255gr powder coated hollow point designed specifically for subsonic/suppressed hunting that might be a good one to swap.