Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: WC860 in 308

Boolit Master

WC860 in 308

Win primer
    44 grains WC860
    311644 190 gr quenched ww + 5% tin
    Av 1602 ES 38 SD 14

10 shots 50 yards 7/8"....One ragged hole.

This is out of my Wally world Stevens 200 308.

A good day at the range.

David

Boolit Grand Master

I just learned something.

I just learned something.......I figured that WC - 860 would be far too slow for a .308 Win.

I'll have to try that load in my rifle.

Ben

Boolit Mold
    David,

How do you like that 200 Stevens thus far?

Regards

Super Moderator

..........David, how'd it burn? Didja have to do the "860 Flick" ?

............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master
    Headstamp,

I love the rifle. It is a shooter. Not pretty, but shoots well. That is all I wanted. I figured its the luck of the draw. I got a good one. I feel I got more than I paid for.

Buckshot,
    Some unburned powder was in the chamber. I clean my guns frequently anyhow. Sometimes I "mass" clean them all. I think I could shoot for a day with out having any problems. I was amazed at the accuracy.

This load is a keeper. I have 50 in a box ready to go.

Super Moderator

.........David, try 2.0grs of H4198 under that load of WC860 and see if it doesn't clean it all up and give you another 50 fps or so.

Or not

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Grand Master
    That WC-860 powder is some amazing stuff--and still cheap, too. I am revisiting the 45-70 with this stuff, loading a little more 4198 underneath the main charge cleans up the powder pretty well and really boosts the velocity from its rather sedate previous performances.

The 30-06/#311291 loaded with a full case of the stuff yielded 2100 FPS over Buckshot's chronograph a while back. Not much debris in the bore, either. Another revisit is pending in a different rifle in the near future.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Banned

How'd it work in the past for the 45-70 Al?

I passed on the WC680 to fill my order, and got 2- 4895's instead cause that looked like the most usable powder for most all my rifles.

I wanted to get some WC844, but Hitech didn't have any, so I got the 820, 4895, and 872.

Super Moderator

..............Pat, go to CASTPICS and check the surplus powder load data for the 45-70. I have velocities for the straight charge (really dirty, bad) and the duplexed ones. 3.0grs of H4198 cleaned it all up.

...............Buckshot

Boolit Grand Master
    Pat--

Using the Lee 405 PB, my load of 3.0 x IMR 4198 underneath 48.0 x WC-860 barely gave 1000 FPS, left a little debris behind, but did shoot accurately. I moved to 5.0 x 4198/46.0 x 860, and the bore was quite clean and the rounds hit higher on target at 50 yards. This needs some more shake-out, for sure--the recoil is noticeably stronger, so there's more velocity. Gotta chrono some of these, and accuracy seems to be equivalent to the weaker loads.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Banned

Thanks.

Boolit Mold
    I was going to buy some but was told WC860 was only good for 50bmg.

My 7mm mag really likes it but it fills the case with book loads. In the 300 wby it's just so so. Haven't tried it in the 308 as it likes 4064 just fine.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

I've still got some of it but, have never tried it in a .308. Very slow.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Boolit Master

In the .308 it shoots dirty unless one uses 2 to 4 grains of a Booster (Duplexing) powder; then a full case load of WC860. This gives slightly less velocity than a more suitable powder - But it keeps one shooting and is nearly ad accurate as other loads; but the drop/sight settings will be different obviously. If shooting only WC860 in the case (no duplex powered), looking down the barrel after each shot one will see unburned powder in the barrel.

I like it when duplexed with Heavy Cast Boolits (190 grains and up).
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.