WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Wildcat die advise please

Boolit Buddy

Wildcat die advise please

I just built a 6mm22/250( no change other than neck) could I use a Redding s type for 22/250 with an appropriate 6mm bushing?
    Would this plan still work on my next project of a 20/250?
    What options do I have for a competition style seater die? Is there a way I can get one die to do both 6 and 20 cal?(the $170 tag on a comp seater affects my blood pressure) ( I understand I'd need different plugs) any better ideas than mine for a fairly cost effective fix for my problem
    what likely hood is it I could use a regular 250 savage seater for a non competition seater die? My 22/250 seater die just doesn't have the adjustment I need
    thanks much fellas.

Banned

give Huntington a call.
    they are located next door to RCBS and have a huge variety of die sets for just about anything you can think of in stock.
    your 6-250 is probably on the shelf.

but the bushing dies would work until you needed to full length size then a 300 savage die could come in handy.

Boolit Grand Master

I use a lot of Redding S full length bushing dies. If the top of the shoulder in the die is larger than 6mm it will work but memory leads me to believe it's not going to be large enough. I am currently out of town so I can't measure mine. If no one else can give you a definitive answer I will when I get back.

Boolit Bub
    Check out John Whidden at whiddengunworks.com , he makes a great die from your cases. They are reasonable priced too. He does 20 cal and up. Good people to deal with too.

Boolit Master

Neil Jones might be able to assist you. About 40 years ago I had him make me up some hand dies and some for arbor press use, for a wildcat 22BRL, just a 300 Savage case, shorten to 1.75", 45* shoulder and necked down to 224 - of course, I had to get the barrel chambered in a tight neck configuration, so to make it an original, original hair-brain cartridge.

Could have just necked down and blown out a 6MM Remington, but that would have been too damn easy.

A Hornady 6 mm / .243 short seater will work. The New Dimension seaters are not cartridge specific as the older Pacific Dura-Chrome dies were that they replaced. (Dura-Chrome similar to RCBS dies) The New Dimension seaters have a floating seating stem / crimp bushing.

For a size die a 6mm International may be an option as these were a pretty common wildcat; it is a 22-250 necked up (or 250-300 Sav necked down) some variations with shoulder angle will exist.

Another option would be to use the chamber reamer used to chamber the bbl to make a seating die body.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkP View Post
    A Hornady 6 mm / .243 short seater will work. The New Dimension seaters are not cartridge specific as the older Pacific Dura-Chrome dies were that they replaced. (Dura-Chrome similar to RCBS dies) The New Dimension seaters have a floating seating stem / crimp bushing.

For a size die a 6mm International may be an option as these were a pretty common wildcat; it is a 22-250 necked up (or 250-300 Sav necked down) some variations with shoulder angle will exist.

Another option would be to use the chamber reamer used to chamber the bbl to make a seating die body.
    Does the lack of support lead to ammo thats not quite concentric?

Boolit Grand Master
    CH4D has the 6mm-250 die set listed for $87 and change.

I don't have any of their newer stuff, but what I do have is well made.

Robert

Banned

they still make top notch stuff.

I did the same idea but necking down on a 223. Tag to hear if there is room to neck up with the Redding die.
    Visit my page at www.echoarms.com for casting, reloading, and firearms accessories as well as FFL services in Southern California.

Like my Facebook page: Echo Arms

Boolit Master
    The RCBS Comp seater or Gold Medal Match die with the internal bushing would work as a seater. A die sold for the .243 should work fine.
    You would have to change to a .204 bushing for the smaller caliber.

You can body size with a .250 Savage die.
    You can neck size with a Wilson .22-250 or .250 savage die.
    EDG

Boolit Buddy
    If you want to use the Redding neck bushing dies, I would buy the neck sizing die for the 250 Savage, then a 22 & 6mm bushings for your cartridges based on the 250 Savage case. With the seating dies you really need the proper die body in order to hold the bullet correctly as it's seated, unless you spring for the competition seater, then you have to get Redding to send you the proper die insert, seating plug and circle clip for each cartridge, but you would only need to buy the complete die for the 250 Savage cartridge.