Snyders JerkyWidenersLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load Data Repackbox
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Time to step up

Boolit Buddy
    We called the dealership this afternoon and somebody may have beatened us to it. There has been a deposit put down on it so, the salesman said he would call us back in a couple days if it doesn't work out for the other person.

So, back to looking again.

God bless you all.
    Wife to Gray Wolf. It was time to get my own handle I guess cause

Boolit Buddy
    Total donations via PayPal and snail mail is now at $6509.

God bless you all.

Boolit Buddy
    We won't know for sure if the other guy got the Expedition till late Weds afternoon. Stay tuned for more then.

Total donations for PayPal and snailmail is now $6544.

Boolit Buddy
    The other guy didn't come up with the cash. Talking to the salesmen again. Waiting on a call back from them. Probably tomorrow. We really like this car. It's just plain sweet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AQ_800.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	180406

Boolit Grand Master

How close are you to having it covered?

Boolit Buddy
    Very close but we figure it will need tires and there is insurance to deal with plus registration and paying to get it up here. So, more help may be needed with that. But we have around $6500 to bargain with on hand.

Boolit Master

I figure you also need gas to take the doggies out for a ride, some dinner and ice cream funds, etc.

I'm in. Now where do I send it?

Undercoating?
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Owl View Post
    The other guy didn't come up with the cash. Talking to the salesmen again. Waiting on a call back from them. Probably tomorrow. We really like this car. It's just plain sweet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AQ_800.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	180406
    I worked in dealerships half my life, most salesmen work on commission. I'd strongly suggest you go in unannounced, avoid the salesman knowing your there and ask to speak with the "dealer principal" (owner), face to face is better then a call. Explain why you want the vehicle and ask if they can help with savings somewhere on the deal. I'd be very surprised if they didn't help, worse that can happen is they say no.
    Be careful what you wish for!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Undercoating?
    Won't know that until we get someone to go take a look at it personally. We live in Maine. The car is in Rahway, NJ. I think we may have a volunteer. Waiting to hear back from him.

The guy we have been talking to was off today. He will be back tomorrow. We will call early tomorrow and talk more. Gonna need to put a deposit on it, post haste, just to keep other potentials away. So, early call and get this started.

If anyone else lives in the northern end of Jersey or lower NY that can make a trip to Rahway, please, please pm me.

Thank you.

Brass Magnet. Pm on the way.

Boolit Buddy
    Please if anyone here lives near Rahway, we need a volunteer to go check out this car for us. Check for rust, give it a test drive, etc. Make sure it's a decent ride for us.

Please?

God bless and thank you.

Julie

Boolit Master
    Sorry can't help, I'm in NC, but you might look for an auto repair shop that gets good reviews and call them, explain the situation, and ask the manager if one of their guys would be willing to go put it on a lift, take some pictures and drive it around. Shop might not want the business, but for a couple hundred bucks one of the guys might do it.

Not perfect, but it's something.

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah, it might have to come down to that. Gonna do a search on repair shops in Rahway.

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    Sorry can't help, I'm in NC, but you might look for an auto repair shop that gets good reviews and call them, explain the situation, and ask the manager if one of their guys would be willing to go put it on a lift, take some pictures and drive it around. Shop might not want the business, but for a couple hundred bucks one of the guys might do it.

Not perfect, but it's something.

Boolit Master
    Yeah, it might have to come down to that. Gonna do a search on repair shops in Rahway.
    The best one I saw looked to be a tire shop, STS Tire or Mavis Discount Tire. The best shop when I searched auto repair didn't seem great, but it's had to tell with so many review online just being fake.

The chances of getting a master or B grade tech from a tire shop is really slim, I did take a job at one for a couple months when I was between jobs but I can tell you most of those guys are low grade mechanics, no offense intended we all have to start somewhere. I would look elsewhere, really wish I could help but the distance and my health prevents me. Is there no vehicles closer, so much to gamble on when people you don't know are involved, just saying. Pay that money, have the vehicle trucked to you and then find there is a problem, you might be faced with trucking it back to the dealer for a resolution or paying for unknown problems. Have you run a carfax on the VIN or asked the dealer if they have any history on file?

Boolit Buddy
    CarFax info on car.
    https://www.carfax.com/vehicles/1FMF...-bauer--rahway

Quote Originally Posted by benellinut View Post
    The chances of getting a master or B grade tech from a tire shop is really slim, I did take a job at one for a couple months when I was between jobs but I can tell you most of those guys are low grade mechanics, no offense intended we all have to start somewhere. I would look elsewhere, really wish I could help but the distance and my health prevents me. Is there no vehicles closer, so much to gamble on when people you don't know are involved, just saying. Pay that money, have the vehicle trucked to you and then find there is a problem, you might be faced with trucking it back to the dealer for a resolution or paying for unknown problems. Have you run a carfax on the VIN or asked the dealer if they have any history on file?

Don't see anything bad there, no accidents reported, no total loss title showing. Dealership service records will show, that's a plus. There are a few service records but that's it, that can mean they did it themselves, it was done at a repair shop that doesn't have records carfax can get or they didn't service it as they should have.

In a perfect situation, if your going to get someone to look at it, I would choose a tech with years on the line from a Ford dealership. Those guys know them inside out and they know what common problems that year and model has where a guy who works on all makes and models may not know what important and costly issues to look for. A call to some local Ford dealer service dept's, explain the situation to the service manager, ask them if one of the good techs would be interested in making some easy money on the side, it might net you a tech who would look at it for $100 and offer to take care of the manager for hooking you up. Very common for tech's to take on side jobs, I made 50% of my money working on cars on the side. Just wearing my work shirt in public with the dealer service dept logo people would come up to me and ask if I did work on the side. I had people approach me right at the dealer, there I had to draw the line and decline, no stealing customers from the shop, being fired for that will follow you forever.

Seriously, I hope I'm helping, if not tell me and I'll clam up.

Boolit Buddy
    We found a repair shop with 28 years experience. People bring them cars to check out a lot. They will pull the tires and check brakes, bearings, etc in there. Also check the exhaust system, struts, shocks, etc. They are also going to put it on the computer and check that stuff out. Said it would take about an hour to get it done. They are not far from the other dealership at all. So, we are working those details out.

When we spoke to them this morning, (dealership) they had it inside putting a new timing chain on it. Apparently they did a 21 point check on it yesterday and found that to need changed out. I think they know we are serious about making sure it is all ok.

I will keep you all updated. This seems the best we can do at this point.

Boolit Master
    Make sure you put eyes on the paperwork associated with the new timing chain (yea, I trust car dealers about as much as I would trust a Clinton). If it is truly being replaced that is a good thing as it is not uncommon for them to have issues at or before that mileage on those engines.
    ph4570

Quote Originally Posted by ph4570 View Post
    Make sure you put eyes on the paperwork associated with the new timing chain (yea, I trust car dealers about as much as I would trust a Clinton). If it is truly being replaced that is a good thing as it is not uncommon for them to have issues at or before that mileage on those engines.
    Your right, time belt yes but chains should last as long as the rest of the engine. When I read that I looked into it to see if it might be a belt and maybe the salesman misspoke, it is chain and it's common with that engine, I found Ford had a TSB on the chain and tensioner failing. Goes back to what I said about techs who work at a dealership knowing the things to look for on the brand they sell and service daily, they know the common issues, some of which would be very uncommon for other brands. If they do the job right and aren't cheap about it they'll replace the water pump too, has to be removed to replace the chain. Also found this during my research. http://gotaclassaction.com/ford-sued...e-5-4l-engine/